Block swap questions

E1ghtTrack

I currently have a 1965 inline 200 with the c4 cruise o matic transmission installed. The block cracked right near passenger side head bolt and near water pump housing. I recently picked up a block and head with casting D8BE 6015 GC. I wanted to know if I would be able to use the bell from my 65 with this block or will I need to look into other options.

did U C the above tech archive? (click on the crossed screwdriver/wrench)
I think in will have that in it (seems to have everything else)
page 3 in the "Ford 6 Performance Handbook" ?
IDK but there's my go 2 for all things ford i6 related.

Yep, if its ex automatic, everything will fit on the stock dowls. The D8 with a GC suffix is 1978-1983 block, high mount.

Make sure you use the original fasteners that were on the old block, and the old flywheel or flexplate. They vary between manual and automatic, and the bolts can touch the main seal and create spectacular diss-arry if you put long bolts into a six open holes on the crank flange.

If the 78 block was a manual you just pull the two dowel pins and relocate them to the smaller auto pattern holes.

Hi, as mentioned, the 200 blocks are drilled for the small early Falcon manual, and C4 bell housing, and the larger 9" clutch bell housing.
Use the engine spacer plate to line up the dowels. Some dowels can be punched out, and some are more difficult to yank, or just grind off flush and find a new one.
Also, the old carb won't fit on the new head.
Fortunately, the new head is a big improvement over the original.
The ignition is also better.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook to get the most out of your Ford six.
Good luck

A '65 200 block is not dual pattern drilled, '65 blocks were still 8 1/2" clutch and smaller C4 bell. Dual bolt pattern started in '66.

A '78 200 is not dual pattern either, A '78 block is 9" clutch, later C4 pattern only.

'65 bell won't bolt to a '78 block.

StarDiero75 can vouch for this, he just dealt with a 8 1/2" to 9" 200 block swap.

Frozenrabbit is 100 % right in the statement above, for manuals; the swap of pre 66 blocks is not upwards compatible with any later non 2.77 manual gear boxes. Pre 66 blockd shoulf fit some specific later Autos, but only high mount C3/mid 1981 C4 transmissions. Any thing that came from the something like E0-6015-BB or E1BE-6015 will be low mount, and wont work either.

In context of a high mount only D8 swap to a 65 auto drivetrain, it is IIRC, drilled for the itty bitty 132 teeth flexplate and that stayed the same all years

Its only upwards compatible for auto D8-6015-GC blocks from certain years.Circumstances alter cases.

The 78 - 83 high mount bell is 132 teeth, small bolt spacing drilled for automatics.That never changed. As long as the dowels are in place, straight swap.

So if its 1978 - 1983 C3 high mount auto to whatever earlier auto, your all good. 1978-1981 high mount C4, all good too.

The 8- 1/2" clutch 2.77 manual gear box is the same pattern as the early C4's too. 9 to 9-1/8" 3.03 had to use the second set of holes, 136 teeth flywheel and that is the subtle difference.

No, that's the point of a dual pattern block, so the old small stuff will bolt up. It will be a straight bolt in. The only time you're hosed is if you are trying to go in the other direction, i.e. bolting up later 9" drivetrain to an early small pattern only block.

A '78 block is not dual pattern. Won't take a 8 1/2" clutch or early C4 setup.

ONLY late '66 to '68 blocks are dual pattern.

Thanks for replies guys -- It looked to be dual pattern and I was pretty sure it would work but wanted to get clarification.

The carb wont be an issue I had previously replaced Head with large modified log and recently upgraded to Holley Sniper EFI carb. Guess I need to update my signature to reflect most current modifications.

While on subject of Holley Sniper 2100 upgrade -- Anyone know of a way to modify HEI distributor to lock out vacuum advance and allow Holley Sniper to control timing. I have it running just fine by setting it up and manually setting timing but it would be nice to have the Holley unit control timing.

I don't post here as often as I should but I do appreciate the vast source of knowledge this site provides.

E1ghtTrack

Just wanted to post an update --- The swap went smoothly and I will share some pics after I sort through and get them uploaded....

yes the block was dual pattern - Everything interchange with no issues at all -- and thanks for the link I will read up on that - right now I have it running using HEI distributor with no timing control.

frozenrabbit":tuf40rcl said:
A '65 200 block is not dual pattern drilled, '65 blocks were still 8 1/2" clutch and smaller C4 bell. Dual bolt pattern started in '66.

A '78 200 is not dual pattern either, A '78 block is 9" clutch, later C4 pattern only.

StarDiero75 can vouch for this, he just dealt with a 8 1/2" to 9" 200 block swap.
Aww you remembered me lol. Yes this is true. My new 1966 block is a dual drilled while the 1965 block is not. I worked on an adapter plate to go from the 8.5" to 9" setup but i had some holes that needed enlarging and some slight fitment issues. I haven't fixed the plate but thats a future project now

You can attempt to make an adapter plate from .25" plate steel but I think that'd be pointless. If you're running a C4, just get a later bell and converter.

E1ghtTrack":2byg1393 said:
yes the block was dual pattern - Everything interchange with no issues at all
StarDiero75":2byg1393 said:
frozenrabbit":2byg1393 said:

My new 1966 block is a dual drilled while the 1965 block is not.

It's previously been my understanding that all high mount starter blocks C6 and on are dual pattern, but some here and info on the modern drivelines website dispute this, saying that they're only dual pattern drilled for 2-4 years like C6-8 blocks... before they are small only(no one disputes this) and later than ~C8 they are large pattern only. I'm confused.

It seems like I've been through this before, maybe it was on my van forum and someone told me yes, my D7 or whatever is dual pattern and here we are again. It seems like some here in this thread are saying that somehow a C4 auto that came from the factory bolted to a C3 block in '64 or whatever can bolt to a D7 block but a 8.5" clutch bell 3.03 won't....???

StarDiero75":2eplhd4t said:
frozenrabbit":2eplhd4t said:

Aww you remembered me lol. Yes this is true. My new 1966 block is a dual drilled while the 1965 block is not. I worked on an adapter plate to go from the 8.5" to 9" setup but i had some holes that needed enlarging and some slight fitment issues. I haven't fixed the plate but thats a future project now

You can attempt to make an adapter plate from .25" plate steel but I think that'd be pointless. If you're running a C4, just get a later bell and converter.
Star are you saying that you had a 78 single pattern 9'' block?, That is what Rabbit is saying as I read it.
I have a 78 duel pattern block and so does eight track...I have never seen a single pattern block above 66....There may be some out there ,maybe a west coast thing but you cannot say for sure that a 78 is a single.

drag-200stang":15bg2gjz said:
I have never seen a single pattern block above 66....There may be some out there ,maybe a west coast thing but you cannot say for sure that a 78 is a single.

Thank you drag-200stang! No, he's saying his block was a small pattern only 65 and he was trying to bolt a 9" clutch bell to it.

This kind of confusion screws people from having straight forward swap info. The only time you are going to have a problem swapping 144-200's is if you are trying to put an early small pattern block into a large pattern later driveline. Or dealing with a low mount 200 block.

Someone needs to tell Modern Drivelines to stop passing misinformation to people.

Thank you again!

Econoline":1aqawfe8 said:
drag-200stang":1aqawfe8 said:
I have never seen a single pattern block above 66....There may be some out there ,maybe a west coast thing but you cannot say for sure that a 78 is a single.

Thank you drag-200stang! No, he's saying his block was a small pattern only 65 and he was trying to bolt a 9" clutch bell to it.

This kind of confusion screws people from having straight forward swap info. The only time you are going to have a problem swapping 144-200's is if you are trying to put an early small pattern block into a large pattern later driveline. Or dealing with a low mount 200 block.

Someone needs to tell Modern Drivelines to stop passing misinformation to people.

Thank you
I know about Star's 65's block problem but the sentence about ( 65 bell not fitting a 78 block ,threw me off.

drag-200stang":biavqjmn said:
StarDiero75":biavqjmn said:
frozenrabbit":biavqjmn said:

Star are you saying that you had a 78 single pattern 9'' block?, That is what Rabbit is saying as I read it.
I have a 78 duel pattern block and so does eight track...I have never seen a single pattern block above 66....There may be some out there ,maybe a west coast thing but you cannot say for sure that a 78 is a single.
Previously, i had a single pattern 65 block, so i needed the 9", so i got a 66 dual drilled block that fixed my problem

Back