Power steering compatible distributors

67romper

Howdy y'all, long time lurker looking for some info. It's to my understanding that mustangs with factory power steering can't fit some of the bigger distributors like the DUI. So I guess that leaves the pertronix and DS I, right? Would a weber 32/36 and a DS I be compatible? I'm assuming that they would be since neither have/work with the SCV. Lastly, I have my eyes on a DS that belonged to a Mercury Zephyr and was used in a 63 Comet, would I be able to use that in my mustang? I got the falcon six handbook a couple of months ago but haven't been able to work on my pony due to school. Thanks in advance for any help/info y'all send my way.

Your 67 has a 5/16" oil pump drive shaft.
What year engine was in the 63 Comet. If its the original engine it has a 1/4" oil pump shaft.
I sell the DS1 & DS11 distributors listed in the small six for sale section. I will custom curve it for your engine. Bill

67romper":3pgbex0x said:
Howdy y'all, long time lurker looking for some info. It's to my understanding that mustangs with factory power steering can't fit some of the bigger distributors like the DUI. So I guess that leaves the pertronix and DS I, right? Would a weber 32/36 and a DS I be compatible? I'm assuming that they would be since neither have/work with the SCV. Lastly, I have my eyes on a DS that belonged to a Mercury Zephyr and was used in a 63 Comet, would I be able to use that in my mustang? I got the falcon six handbook a couple of months ago but haven't been able to work on my pony due to school. Thanks in advance for any help/info y'all send my way.

Well if your Mustang was built with Calif. emissions and is still factory original equipment, then you don't have a carb with a SCV and the Distribor isn't a LOD type (check the DSO code on the door for this info). Some pictures of what you have will also help verify that. Yes the Pertronix, DSI, or DSII will work with the power steering were a DUI or HEI type won't fit. Yes the Mercury Zephyr distribor will work it's a DuraSpark II unit. Good luck (y) :nod:

Bill, the gentleman selling the distributor put a 68 250 ci engine in his comet and ran it with that. I have no idea as to what the donor car was. To be frank, the distributor looks kinda rough, no major dents or things like that but it does seem well worn. I'm assuming it'd probably be faster and easier to get one from you.

Bubba, by calif. emissions do you mean a thermactor? Ain't the DSO code for ponies with calif. emissions 72? Mine has 71 on the door plate. Oh, and before I forget thank y'all for the info, this question's been bugging me for the past week and the only answer that I could seem to find on the forum was to use a DS I from a 75 Maverick.

67romper":18x3xjtr said:
Bill, the gentleman selling the distributor put a 68 250 ci engine in his comet and ran it with that. I have no idea as to what the donor car was. To be frank, the distributor looks kinda rough, no major dents or things like that but it does seem well worn. I'm assuming it'd probably be faster and easier to get one from you.
Just give me a shout. billythedistributorman@live.com or PM me

DSO stands for "Domestic Special Order" Ford uses this to identity the District Area in the USA that an order from a Ford dealer, i.e. We're it is located and car to be sold in the USA. The code 71 = Los Angeles. You can also find out which assembly plant the car was built and the day it was made, from other info on that ID plate. Since it was built for the Southern Califoria area it would have had the California emissions. By the way Calif. lead all the other states in the requirement of emissions equipment starting in 1961 and then testing too these rules changed many times over the years. Under current Calif. test rules cars and trucks older then 1975 don't need to pass these visible equipment or tail pipe tests. At least that how it was at the time I moved out of California (in 2013). Of corse after all these years you never know what the pervious owners may have changed some good pictures focusing on the Carb outside and Distributor inside will tell the tail. Good luck (y) :nod:

W E L C O M E !!!
to the postin world...
Thanks for participation by eye only (till fingers got involved).

1st Q on any wrk to do is to "ID Whatja Got". When U know, the nxt is kinda answ 4 U.
Do U know what motor U have? Block castings tell (head's too).

A DSI has a sm dizzy cap, a DSII - a large. DSI is almost as performance oriented as II (pep/MPGs).
If ya got no A/C U can put yer PS pump on the pass side if needed...
I think I've seen them on the right side quite hi (no dizzy interference) too.

Keep talkin !

I'm in the same boat! San Jose Car, all stock, with power steering.

What'd you end up doing?

Back