Tired 250 advice

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hi all, I'm about to buy a 69 Stang with a 250ci that has 275k miles on it. Current owner does not know if/when it was rebuilt. Supposedly runs, but been sitting for a year.

Any advice on what to do with it? A rebuild or a crate swap? It run it till it dies?

I can swap the block for a 200 block, they're the same right?

Thanks!
Doc

Edit: I forgot to mention I'll be trying to make this a reliable daily driver =)

200 six blocks are different in several ways from a 250, it's much more work to swap in a 200 in place of the 250 plus the transmission bell housing is also different. Good luck (y) :nod:

1 answ may B "How tired?" those mi don't mean that much.
It's how they were put on.
And
"What kinda DD"?
A 200 is a more 'square' motor, the 250 is a 'stroker'.
Quick HP v tq?

"Any advice on what to do with it?"
1st hear/smell/watch it run. Ck 4 leaks, compression, read plugs...
Keep talkin~

Thanks for the replies. I wasnt aware the 250 was a stroker, I thought it was a different head that increased the chamber volume.
As to what kind of DD, a reliable one. Not planning on racing or anything. I'm 41 and want a fun, pretty, maintainable ride =)

Hopefully on that motivates the kids to upkeep it when they're a little older!

best,
DrC

The best option is to buy a reconditioned E0 head from a 1980 Ford or Mercury 3.3 or 4.1 engine with 60 thou planed off it, new lifters, a new Victor Reinz head gasket. Use the later #9728 rod operated kickdown linkage found on any automatic 1973 to 1983 3.3/200 or 1973- 1980 4.1 / 250. Have an automatic non feedback Carter YFA from a 300, and a 1975-1980 YFA air cleaner body purchased. Ford part number D5DF-9600-A, found on some 75-79 F100's as well as Mavricks, Monarchs, Granada's..

Buy a used or new Fox Fairmont 1978-1983 3.3 throttle cable.

Task 1 is to lift the head and have the bores checked for taper and out of round (ovalarity). You can hire, rent, borrow or steal according to your creed.

Normally, as long as the ring pack isnt tampered with, and the rings and carbon deposits aren't messed with, a re gasket and better head will allow many years of additional service.

Task 2 is to then put in a proper modern carb, head and ignition system upgrade.

Most likely, its a C4 auto with factory 2.47 gears. They were common in the Grande Coupe. If its got AC, auto, and those gears, then you'll need better ignition, compression, carb to cope with modern conditions. It only had less than 100 real horsepower that year, the 155 or 145 gross horsepower rating was based on a high compression stripped down engine spec that Ford never ended up making due to strikes and inventory problems.The Mustang 250 and Windsor 351 2V were purposely downgraded with 9.469 to 9.500 inch deck block depths to drop compression before the standard gas Federal Emissions rules came out. Ford had a vested intrest in keeping the compression ratios well below the 8.7:1 figure reported in the press and to the EPA.

I'd personally convert ignition to electronic, as the existing Autolite can cope with a Pertronix Ignitor II trigger with very little cost.

The 250 block is
11 inches wider,
1.66 inches taller
with a cam 3/4 of an inch further out,
with a crank snout and crank flange 1/8 of an inch bigger,
and different bellhousing pattern,
different water pump bolts spacing,
Different harmonic balancer
Different ancillary drive
different engine mount stud arrangement.
Different center percussion engine mounts
Different block casting,
different frost plug positions
Different starter position and type
Different oil pump
Different sump
Different conrods
Different main bearing
Different thrust bearing
Different pushrod length.

Asside from those 21 things....the 250 uses the same head and pistons as the 200.

Hi, I would get it running and make it safe, so make sure the brakes are in good order, and the wheel cylinders are all good and not leaking. First evaluate what you have.
Do a compression test. And hopefully you don't get clouds of blue smoke.
You may be good to go with no more than a tune up and fluid service.
Make sure to get a Chilton's manual and the
Ford Falcon Performance Handbook
Good luck

Many great suggestions. One more to consider is be on the lookout for a decent used 250. Not easy to find but they show up from time to time. Picnpul one possible source.

Great information! It looks like I ended up at the right place =)
My previous reply didnt post, so I'll try again:

chad":2w3p81nb said:
1 answ may B "How tired?" those mi don't mean that much.
It's how they were put on.
And
"What kinda DD"?
A 200 is a more 'square' motor, the 250 is a 'stroker'.
Quick HP v tq?

"Any advice on what to do with it?"
1st hear/smell/watch it run. Ck 4 leaks, compression, read plugs...
Keep talkin~

I wasnt aware that this was a stroker engine. I thought they'd just raised the header to increase the chamber size and therefore the extra 50ci. Thanks Xtasy, I see I was surely wrong!

As for how I'll drive it, it'll be a short daily commute and some weekend cruising. No race/drag/strip - I'm out to have a nice looking car that inspires my kids to get their hands dirty and me to enjoy driving. It will probably go with me to Europe if I relocate, so I can't mess to much with visible resto-mod stuff. I want something that will do long, fun distances, and DD. Basically, a reliable car.

The one I'm looking at is pretty original supposedly, automatic (prob a c4) and prob original diff.

Question: Am i looking at a parts nightmare for this engine? The 200ci seems pretty easy to find OEM style parts for... should I reconsider getting a 250?

Thanks in advance for all the replies!

The beauty of the 250, beyond the extra torque, is it's SBF bell pattern. It opens you up to a wide world of tranny options. I'd do a compression test on the engine and a leak down. If the head needs pulled you'll be able to see if it was bored over and by how much b/c it will be stamped on the top of the pistons. If there's no .030 or whatever stamp, it a virgin block. You may be able to see it through a spark plug hole with a hi res, bright lit good borescope. And maybe a little brakleen. You'll be disappointed if you swap a 200 in place of the 250 and like said above it's alot of work. People usually go the other way 200 to 250 or put in a v8.

I am a big fan of the 250 six they give very good performance stock or mildly modded, the torque they have makes for a fun ride quite close in performance to a 302 V8 even out pulling them from a stop. Most of their wearable parts are still quite easy to find, I usally swap in the 1976 up DuraSpark II to improve their ignistion and economy. Yes that 1969 has an excellent C4 trans stock (Select Shift) I install a TransGo shift kit for even better performance, durability, even a slight gain in MPG economy. The rear stock axle s an 8 inch and is also quite strong usally the SoCal cars had a 2.79 or 3.00 to 1 check the door ID code tag for better info. Good luck (y) :nod:

after 50 yrs who knows what's in it (everywhere, not just as Seth sez: "200 v 250"). I'd ID everything as my 1st step (even B4 purchase if possible). Learn how frm the afore mentioned "Ford6 Performance Handbook". The Handbook is avail frm Matt @ vintage inlines dot com (20$ ?). Nice to have cuz it has specs, ID info (head, block, etc) even a staged mod/restore plan (ie drive as U go) and much more. While waitin for delivery ck out our above tech archive (at big blue box w/crossed screwdriver/wrench). It's got some amazing info...

If movin 2 CHerminie take care. It seems they do not allow any changes frm oem (& R hard a$$es abt it). No fun playin wida car there !
On the other hand we gotta lota ideas on performance mods (MPGs'n pep) that R almost invisible...just ask.

chad":30694ezb said:
Learn how frm the afore mentioned "Ford6 Performance Handbook". The Handbook is avail frm Matt @ vintage inlines dot com (20$ ?). Nice to have cuz it has specs, ID info (head, block, etc) even a staged mod/restore plan (ie drive as U go) and much more.

If movin 2 CHerminie take care. It seems they do not allow any changes frm oem (& R hard a$$es abt it). No fun playin wida car there !
On the other hand we gotta lota ideas on performance mods (MPGs'n pep) that R almost invisible...just ask.

I'll definetly order the book! Thanks for the tip. This site is awesome for info and tech articles. Yay for the internet!

As for the old country, you're very right. It has to be pretty OEM or they wont let it in as a classic. If not a classic, then EU current requirements for emissions and safety and bla bla apply! Also Gas over there is so damn expensive! So, that's why I' looking for the flat 6 =)

I passed up on a great deal on a restored salvage because I'm not sure they'll let me import it if the Job offer comes through...

Anywho, thanks for all the tips!!

"... thanks for all the tips..."
stick around
(y)

Well, as a final update, the guy sold it before I could see it. After making me wait a week, cash in hand, because he was too busy to meet me. @&*#&Y$^TI*
Well... the search continues...

DoctorC":24pijmwn said:
Well, as a final update, the guy sold it before I could see it. After making me wait a week, cash in hand, because he was too busy to meet me. @&*#&Y$^TI*
Well... the search continues...

Where are you at?

I'm in L.A. =)
Was it you who bought it?

On the flipside Yesterday I bought a 67!! Flat 6, just like I wanted.
Looking forward to the build story!

DoctorC":20ohng9x said:
I'm in L.A. =)
Was it you who bought it?

On the flipside Yesterday I bought a 67!! Flat 6, just like I wanted.
Looking forward to the build story!
No I am in Fl

whaza flat 6 (flat head, no wrong yr)...?
:unsure:

chad":29fwqs3d said:
whaza flat 6 (flat head, no wrong yr)...?
:unsure:

Sorry, I mean straight six. My dad always called 'em flat, as opposed to V's, for some reason... Maybe a lost in translation term...
Anywho, yes, a normal, stock, inline, straight, six =)

BTW, it's hilarious how many craigslist ads list this engine as a V6...

Back