Hooking up a dual advance dizzy

HondaSL

If i update the LOD dizzy with a single vacuum advance with a 1968-69 distributer with a dual-advance vacuum setup, how do i wire up the new vacuum hoses? I currently have the metal pipe coming from manifold vacuum. Would both vacuum advance ports in the new distributer go to the same source? (either ported or manifold?)

Or do both ported & manifold vacuums source a different input into the advance on the distributer?

I plan to use the petronix for this. Does one vacuum source work better than another? It seems like case-by-case per car when i read into the library.

Hi, if the vacuum advance canister on the distributor has 2 ports, use only the outer port.
The emissions distributor have a second port (inner, closer to the distributor cap) for a vacuum retard.
If the carb is for the older load o matic distributor I would hook the distributor vacuum to direct manifold vacuum.
If you have a later carb with ported or timed vacuum I would use that.
Good luck

The carb is a non-SCV autolite, so i was planning to replace my load-o-matic dizzy with a NON-load-o-matic type & this seems like it will be the cheapest option overall. My carb does have the ported option, which i currently have capped. I am running a single line vacuum from the manifold currently also.
So you suggest to keep only 1 single line, run it from the ported carb (or manifold) to the furthest nipple on the dual-dizzy. Then just cap off the vertical nipple which is closest to the dizzy cap? Sounds easy enough.

I also will be using the petronix for guts.

Hi, I would, on the vacuum advance canister leave the inner port open open so the inside can breathe. This is normal for guys who don't have much left from the original emmisions gear (it would also run through a switch on the thermostat housing).
I think my engines run better on the ported vacuum, otherwise you will have distributor advance at idle because idle is a high vacuum condition.
You can try both and see what you like best.
Good luck

HondaSL":1wjdt7fl said:
If i update the LOD dizzy with a single vacuum advance with a 1968-69 distributer with a dual-advance vacuum setup, how do i wire up the new vacuum hoses?
Many use the above 'tech archive' @ the big blue box w/the crossed screw driver / wrench..
Others use The Ford...6 Cylinder...Handbook
/OR/
both (as there's other 'peculiarities' 2 these lill tuff guys).

U can order the Handbook frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com (?20 $?). With these 2, some tools, & the willingness that's bout all U need. After a good reading we're available here w/internationally respected experts (for the last near 20 yrs).

Ported vac is better, 1 more step is a DSII ign, or a hybrid HEI/DSII & 2100 or other carb improvement. It's all in the Handbook & CI tech archive...
Keep talkin~
(y)

What ever distributor you use, without the proper amount of total advance & the rate of advance & when the advance starts will awake an engine.
Anyone who just installs any distributor for their engine are loosing power, economy & drive ability.
An engine with a non stock camshaft can sometimes benefit by using manifold vacuum
for the vacuum advance.

Back