PowerTorque head

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hi guys,

So I found that O'Reilly parts sells cylinder heads for the 200 CI for about 300 bucks. It's a refurbished by PowerTorque.
Has anybody worked with these before? Any comments or experience with them? I couldn't find anything on the forms when I searched.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/po ... tang?pos=0

I'm thinking about buying one to modify and then slap on to my 67 Mustang. I was reading about how it's beneficial to have two heads to work on one while you still run the car.

DoctorC":9q2zkg3n said:
Hi guys,

So I found that O'Reilly parts sells cylinder heads for the 200 CI for about 300 bucks. It's a refurbished by PowerTorque.
Has anybody worked with these before? Any comments or experience with them? I couldn't find anything on the forms when I searched.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/po ... tang?pos=0

I'm thinking about buying one to modify and then slap on to my 67 Mustang. I was reading about how it's beneficial to have two heads to work on one while you still run the car.
I wouldn't touch it. Get a late model head. In the description it says C5...... C6..... C7...... you want one at least that says C9.....M but preferably you want D8..... or D9....... or E0...... the last 3 are the largest heads with big intake valves and larger log intakes. i personally prefer E0 hex head b/c its 1420cc of log vs 1350cc of log on the E0 flat top.

Good luck.
Ryan

refer to the Handbook &/or tech archive for what U "Really Want" the 1977+ Ryan refers to.
$100 - 200 @ car-parts.com.
Post geographic interests and any of the i6 supplied models '77 thru '83 in the dialogue boxes (200, 250 heads same
at that point).
Read up 1st w/Handbook & archive. Don't get fooled. Know the real scoop...

Thanks guys, started reading the VI articles yesterday and I'll look for a post '77 like y'all (and it) recommend.
Thanks!

U wont regret it.
"... started reading the VI articles..."
CI is above @ tech archive. That is frm the entity (Mike W) who started the site.
Don't forget "the Handbook" from VI (vintage inlines dot com).
(y)

DoctorC":1u8qrw5f said:
Thanks guys, started reading the VI articles yesterday and I'll look for a post '77 like y'all (and it) recommend.
Thanks!
Not "post '77" but '77+ I believe. Look in David (& bro's) Handbook (ordered frm Matt).
Take it to machinest (as David advises) = (abt) 150$ for head, $250 for fresening up (at machinest). Get particulars w/Handbook/archive. Not much needed @ 'bottom end (modern cam?). More junk yrds - DSII (dizzy) & nice carb (model depends on ur specific driving use). Last? suspension mods'n breaks. Modern road ripper, classic style (econobx, stang, falcon, bronk, chero, etc), ck this out 4 a fun read...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77057

Or:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79834

esp post #12 & 30...

They sell the later heads as well. As far as I can tell, there's only one rebuilder or part # system, no matter what the name of the company. There's an aftermarket part # for the small logs, the early lrg logs, the late lrg logs and the 80's lrg logs. They used to be pretty cheap. C9 or later is a good head. I happen to believe that the iron of the C9's is superior. But it's just my opinion after having 2 good looking later heads and both of them were cracked in the same place. In between the center exhaust valves. ymmv. It also happens to be when they switch from forged rods to cast rods.

Back