mild rebuild of 200 - cam, lifters, piston questions

"...get a gear vendor..."
no longer manafactured?

Can't find a web site...

Used them in ol 4WD trucks (what model 4 lght car like ours)?

timson":1qnere5e said:
Thanks for your responses, gents.

Bill, I´ll be talking to Jerry at Schneider´s a.s.a.p. about that cam setup. In the meantime, I plan on using the DSII I pulled from the Zephyr, which was running well when I took it apart. What is the purpose of recurving the distributor?

Ron, I ditched the 82 exhaust manifold because it had that big converter canister on it and it seemed most of you don´t use them. Sounds like a set of headers is in order then, as I´m using an early, small diameter manifold (not sure which year; got it from a junkyard as the original 62 warped...). I think I´d like to upgrade the whole exhaust system eventually, but I´d like to get the car with the new engine up and going before I do, just to simplify things a bit. Starting a freshly rebuild engine (i´ve done three) always gives me the shakes. But once it´s going, exhaust system, from headers to muffler, will be a priority.

David, thanks for making me rethink the cam choice; I´ll see what Jerry has to say. Regarding the handbook, I ordered my copy from you or Dennis over the phone nearly 20 years ago!

In keeping things simple for startup, I plan to rebuild the 1946 Holley, and hopefully convert it to a manual choke, as that´s what I use now with the 1908. Are there rebuild kits made to resist the ill effects of gas fortified with "corn squeezins"? Like the exhaust, however, I see a 2-barrel upgrade in my future as well...

timing set - check
clean rocker arm - check
reuse pushrods with 62 rockers - check
I meant 1-inch sway bar, as per "Handling Tip #2" (Schjeldahl 72).

StarDiero, good suggestion on the bigger exhaust valves. I´ll ask the machinist about that. Worth it though, right? I don´t mind investing money/time into a rock-solid engine, but I don´t want to waste it on unnecessary high-performance upgrades beyond my needs.

Thanks again, folks! Starting to order parts and getting gassed!

Tim
Tim, the stock DS11 advance curve is not correct for even a mild performance engine.
When you are ready give me a shout & i will custom curve what you need after you have finalized your build. Bill wsa111

kouwell!
I went there after I posted that.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
left a msg 4 over as well as underdrives for my bronk.
May throw a post on "Bronco Busters".
Sorry~
"Now back 2 ur regularly scheduled programing":

Thanks for the comments, 62Cometman and others! No raining on this parade as long as I get everything put back together right.

To answer your query about towing or cruising, I mostly want a good highway car. I´m in Kearney and make frequent trips to Denver and Des Moines, so I´m looking forward to getting the Comet back into I-80 traffic! I mentioned towing only because I may have occasional need to tow a motorcycle trailer or a 10´boat, but that´s a minor concern. (I ride/navigate when I can). I wish I had known about the AOD earlier, but I got the C4/200ci combo some 12 years ago now, so that´s what I´ll be using initially. Upgrades like an 8" rear end, steering, and cruise control will come, er, down the road.

Over the last 30 years, my ´61 with the early 170 (small intake, small exhaust) and the 2-speed "Cometdrive" has taken me through Colorado forest roads, down to Mexico, up the West coast, through Death Valley, across to Chicago and everywhere in between. Nothin but smiles here, and I know my upgrades will just add to them.

Speaking of upgrades, I´ll try to add this recap to my signature: ´61 Comet Tudor,´81 200 (high mount, bored .040 over), C4, 7.25" rear (3.20:1), 14" wheels, Weber 32/36 conversion, Schneider 248-56H cam, 1.5" exhaust valves, 8.5:1 CR (i think), adj. rockers, 2" exhaust, recurved DSII (Thanks Bill!).

Right now, I´m drilling bigger oil holes in the rockers and cleaning the engine bay for a fresh coat of black satin before dropping the engine/tranny combo back in.

And I´m researching the following upcoming questions: alternator conversion (will my 100 amp be ok in the ´61?), driveshaft u-joints (will different sizes be a huge problem?), PCV setup (just block the EGR?), tranny support modification, etc. Sorting through the scads of info on this forum is as addictive as it is overwhelming, so feel free to give me a quick answer if you´d like! :p

Again, cheers! :beer:

You have done some traveling in that Comet! I like that, they should be driven often in my opinion. Going from the 170/2 speed to your new hopped up 200 and c4 will be a huge difference. Smile time when pushing on the gas pedal. With that much power you could just go with a highway friendly axle ratio, if available, and save the expense of od trans. It seems like you enjoy long trips and that relaxed highway cruising is very enjoyable.

timson":13q2b1b2 said:
Thanks for the comments, 62Cometman and others! No raining on this parade as long as I get everything put back together right.

To answer your query about towing or cruising, I mostly want a good highway car. I´m in Kearney and make frequent trips to Denver and Des Moines, so I´m looking forward to getting the Comet back into I-80 traffic! I mentioned towing only because I may have occasional need to tow a motorcycle trailer or a 10´boat, but that´s a minor concern. (I ride/navigate when I can). I wish I had known about the AOD earlier, but I got the C4/200ci combo some 12 years ago now, so that´s what I´ll be using initially. Upgrades like an 8" rear end, steering, and cruise control will come, er, down the road.

Over the last 30 years, my ´61 with the early 170 (small intake, small exhaust) and the 2-speed "Cometdrive" has taken me through Colorado forest roads, down to Mexico, up the West coast, through Death Valley, across to Chicago and everywhere in between. Nothin but smiles here, and I know my upgrades will just add to them.

Speaking of upgrades, I´ll try to add this recap to my signature: ´61 Comet Tudor,´81 200 (high mount, bored .040 over), C4, 7.25" rear (3.20:1), 14" wheels, Weber 32/36 conversion, Schneider 248-56H cam, 1.5" exhaust valves, 8.5:1 CR (i think), adj. rockers, 2" exhaust, recurved DSII (Thanks Bill!).

Right now, I´m drilling bigger oil holes in the rockers and cleaning the engine bay for a fresh coat of black satin before dropping the engine/tranny combo back in.

And I´m researching the following upcoming questions: alternator conversion (will my 100 amp be ok in the ´61?), driveshaft u-joints (will different sizes be a huge problem?), PCV setup (just block the EGR?), tranny support modification, etc. Sorting through the scads of info on this forum is as addictive as it is overwhelming, so feel free to give me a quick answer if you´d like! :p

Again, cheers! :beer:

Kearney as in Kearney,NE?

As for what youve done thus far i agree with bmbm you could get away with running a higher rear gear like a 2.83 especially with the c4. That rear with the dagenham trans thats in my comet loved interstate on ramp as i high the powerband in 3rd coming on and shifted into 4th just as i was about to merge. Your comet should have some even more pep in its step so i wouldn't be too worried about it at all for HWY cruising.

Just saw your post, 62Cometman. Yes, I am in Kearney NE, so feel free to let me know if you´re passing through. Would love to talk shop with you.

Meanwhile, do you have any recommendations for a good Nebraska junkyard full of inline Ford parts? Among a few sundries, I´m looking for a basic alternator bracket.

Cheers!
Tim

I havea stash but move pretty slo.
Use email in my sig below.
Also car-part.com is bout the best I found...

http://www.car-part.com

The only good place ive checked out for classics is Shorty Watts place just south of wymore. Its called Watts Repair Salvage & Auto. Therese a handful of small six cars there and they are mostly untouched, there are 3 early comets IIRC and at least 1 falcon in case you needed any other parts, hes usually pretty reasonable about small parts the bigger stuff is kinda hit or miss.

Sounds great, Cometman! Just what I´m looking for! Thanks for the tip!

Meanwhile, was I wise to decide to repaint the engine bay in the middle of winter? Now my project has slowed considerably while I wait for warmer conditions for painting before putting everything back in! I´ve still got to size up a new driveshaft and work out the rear support mod. for the C4.

Oh well, a good time to look into other items (seatbelts, stereo, etc.).

Cheers,
Tim

I painted mine in the back half of winter, it was early march, the lack of humidity allowed the paint to level properly and it came out looking fantastic and glossy, i would choose a decently warm day though, probably in the mid 40s at least. As for the cross member MAC's and AutoKrafter's both offer a bolt in c4 conversion cross member for these cars if you dont feel like making it yourself.

Thanks again, Cometman.

The weather is slowly getting close to being a better temp, so I´m happy to attend to other things in the meantime.

That may include temporarily putting the engine/tranny combo back in to get measurements for the driveshaft and support and get those in the pipeline so once painted, it´s all just plug n play!

Regarding the support you mention, I´ll double check, but I believe it only works on cars made in late '61 forward, that had a lateral piece that curves up into the trans tunnel to which it bolts. Early roundbodies like mine, lack that piece and therefore have nothing to bolt it to. There is only one relatively flat support going straight across, under the trans, from one side of the chassis structure to the other. The trans was supported by two cylindrical rubber pads that bolt between it and the top of the support.

I´m hoping to modify this piece to use with the C4, particularly because it includes the e-brake lever. Preliminary measurements indicate the C4 needing support about 1" further back than the Cometdrive, and possibly a bit lower to maintain the proper angle.

I´m going to try to attach some pics. It would be nice to have more heads than mine brainstorming a simple, strong fix!

Cheers,
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 16
Back