Gasket Complete List

Matthew68

Hi All,

I'm compiling all my parts for rebuilding the short block and I wanted to see if I have the complete list of gaskets. There are multiple kits out there (Fel-Pro has 2, Mahle, VI, etc) and none of them contain a complete list of all componenets. The manufacturers pages don't list them either. I have a few of the gaskets already, so I don't need the full kit.

Can anyone fill in the blanks of what I might be missing? (note, this is only for the block and not the head):
Rear Main Seal
Fuel Pump to Block
Timing Cover
Water Pump
Thermostat Housing
Oil Pan Sides and Rear
Oil Pan Drain Plug
Oil Pickup Tube to Pump
Oil Pump to block (Does this exist even? Not sure if this is a real thing)

Is there one for the dizzy to block (o-ring?)

Any others I'm missing for the block only?

Cheers,
Matthew

There isnt one for the oil pump. There isnt one for the dizzy either, its just the O ring.

If you count the valve cover gasket, head gasket, exhaust manifold and carb gasket, I'd say you'd have a complete list. But those are part of the head not the block. Also the thermostat housing gasket is for the head

StarDiero75":2jstx178 said:
There isnt one for the oil pump. There isnt one for the dizzy either, its just the O ring.

If you count the valve cover gasket, head gasket, exhaust manifold and carb gasket, I'd say you'd have a complete list. But those are part of the head not the block. Also the thermostat housing gasket is for the head
/
Awesome, thanks! For the oil pan, there is a front AND rear along with the sides right?

Matthew68":3iodq4sb said:
Hi All,

I'm compiling all my parts for rebuilding the short block and I wanted to see if I have the complete list of gaskets. There are multiple kits out there (Fel-Pro has 2, Mahle, VI, etc) and none of them contain a complete list of all componenets. The manufacturers pages don't list them either. I have a few of the gaskets already, so I don't need the full kit.

Can anyone fill in the blanks of what I might be missing? (note, this is only for the block and not the head):

Matthew68":3iodq4sb said:
Also, what about timing cover seal? Is that an item that needs to be replaced?

I found on rockauto that a lot of the timing cover gaskets come in a set with multiple other pieces. I recognized the water pump gasket but not the two corner pieces:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... /+set,5484

Cheers,
Matthew

Oil pump to block gasket is in Some kits, most people don't use them now days instead you can use some silicon to seal it.

The two gasket corner pieces are used when you only pull the timing cover without dropping the oil pan so they are used to repair the oil pan gasket corners. The timing cover seal usally needs to be replaced if it is no longer playable / is hard or worn. Also check if your Dampner has a groove worn into the seal surface if it dose you can use a sleeve to repair it. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":w3nu79hy said:
Matthew68":w3nu79hy said:
Hi All,

Matthew68":w3nu79hy said:
Also, what about timing cover seal? Is that an item that needs to be replaced?

I found on rockauto that a lot of the timing cover gaskets come in a set with multiple other pieces. I recognized the water pump gasket but not the two corner pieces:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... /+set,5484

Cheers,
Matthew

Oil pump to block gasket is in Some kits, most people don't use them now days instead you can use some silicon to seal it.

The two gasket corner pieces are used when you only pull the timing cover without dropping the oil pan so they are used to repair the oil pan gasket corners. The timing cover seal usally needs to be replaced if it is no longer playable / is hard or worn. Also check if your Dampner has a groove worn into the seal surface if it dose you can use a sleeve to repair it. Good luck (y) :nod:
Is it safe to not have a gasket there? I changed mine out and never used anything in between since there wasnt when i took it out.

which one, you've quoted everything...

Chad, he is typing about the one that is not used from the factory, oil pump to block.
The factory thought not to use one, it should be fine.
I like no gasket with a smear of oil resistant silicone...I bolt it down soft and then remove, wipe off the excess around the oil port with all removed for a little bit around the oil port surface and finish install...I like the firm mounting without the gasket for what I do.,,For the first time remove again to prove that no sealant encroaches into the port.

"...oil pump to block...."
OK, just abuncha other stuff in there.
I'm just too dumb to weed that one out I guess.
:!:

Back