Cleaning Yella Terra Roller Rockers

Matthew68

My Yella Terra 1.65 roller rockers need cleaned. There is dust and debris over all of them. I see a C clip on the side of each rocker but I’m nervous of snapping one taking it apart.

Can I soak them in a solvent or cleaner (mineral spirits, gas, etc)? I would soak them in oil after cleaning as well. Any other tips/tricks?

B395A4CD-9841-430C-AD43-511E22BD3DDA.jpeg
D0BF4344-53FE-4B83-83AA-1E6AA0919FFC.jpeg
C722AFCE-979B-4C2B-8739-BE61D169FAD5.jpeg
A42C99DA-662D-441D-B136-81D8767B2330.jpeg

Washing, soaking, brushing them, or dipping in parts solvent, carb cleaner, mineral spirits etc. should all work good. Do you know about the right push rods to use with those rockers and the blocking off of the oil passage in the short block too? Good luck (y) :nod:

Just use clean, new mineral spirits, nothing harsh or aggressive.

I’d wipe off as much of as possible, you don’t want to push dirt into the needle bearings. Use a shop vacuum to pull any debris out, then wash in mineral spirts, dry with compressed air and vac again. Once they feel smooth, oil them up.

Max_Effort":1bvuye2r said:

I’d wipe off as much of as possible, you don’t want to push dirt into the needle bearings. Use a shop vacuum to pull any debris out, then wash in mineral spirts, dry with compressed air and vac again. Once they feel smooth, oil them up.

Will mineral spirits be ok on the rubber piece where the pushrod seats?

Bubba - yes I will have oil thru pushrods and will be blocking off the oil supply port in the block. Thanks for checking!

Matthew68":1qrczxrs said:
Max_Effort":1qrczxrs said:

Will mineral spirits be ok on the rubber piece where the pushrod seats?

Bubba - yes I will have oil thru pushrods and will be blocking off the oil supply port in the block. Thanks for checking!

Most “rubber” used in engines is solvent tolerant, but I can’t say for sure. The main thing is to have the needle bearings clean. Use a spout bottle ( dish soap bottle or something else you have around) and just flush the bearings, I don’t see a need to soak the whole rocker.

I’m using simple green pro (the purple one), brush, vacuum and an ultrasonic cleaner. They are turning out great. Once they’ve air dried I’m liberally applying assembly lube. They are looking good as new.

D07A7A0E-ECF9-48E5-904A-918AB5833910.jpeg

Back