Fuel pump leak grease?

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hi All,
My fuel pump looks pretty new, but theres a nice wet area below it, leading me to believe that's the origin of (one of) my leaks. Upon further investigation, I found that the metal hoes leading to the carb is wiggle-able, and squishes out grease? The nut is tight as could be though...
Just changed the oil and there appears not to be any fuel in my oil. Should I just replace it, put on a new gasket, or look for an o-ring?

fuel-pump-crop.jpg
(pls ignore the upside down bolt on the line)

Thanks in advance!
DrC

Hi, the metal fuel line from the pump to the carb would leak gas, not oil.

That is very dangerous.
If it is leaking gas you cannot run it.

I don't know why someone would put a hose clamp on the pump outlet.
The tubing nut looks too big for the fuel line.
The tubing nut should fit the tube tightly, like the one that is upside down and not being used.
I would cut the old double flare off and get the correct nut and make a new double flare.
Good luck

Hi bronco, thanks for the reply. Both the hose nut and clamp are from the other side of the hose, and not in use. Well at least I found one of my sources of clatter. I removed the clamp but since the hose is flaired I couldn't get the nut of.

As for the leak, I found it very odd. It is definitely full of a grey substance, like a thin grease. Maybe backfilled to seal? Any who, you suggestion is to replace the hose, right? I'll check if the so parts store has one.

2 X ^^^
the metal line between ur middle'n ring finger is all F'd up.
As B Ron sez re-flair the end & get rid of that mess.
I'm surprised @ 3 to 5 psi it's not spraying out more.
Good Find !
Lucky we don't have a x-flow motor/exh on that side - it'd B startin a fire !
not grease there, dirty fuel. (use senses to ID - smell).

"...couldn't get the nut of...."
where the flat on that rising metal tube of the pump is - U put a wrench. When tightening dwn a flair nut it keeps U frm twisting the tube offa the pump.

Holy crap! That's my fuel? More like mud! I think I'll be swapping the filter, should I consider doing something to the tank?

Looks like an an oily mess is just collecting there. If it were gas, it would be clean and reek of gas odor.

You shouldn’t be able to wiggle the line though. Just replace it. You can get a piece of bendable line with the flare and nut cheap enough.

Leaks run down hill. (unless they are spraying out) replace the line, clean the engine so it’s clean and dry, run it and see where the wet spot develops.

That type fuel pump has the hose barbs for a clamped on rubber hose conection, so there's no need for a nut and a flared fuel line. Just cut the flare end off the line and take the line nut off the reinstall your rubber line with its clamp. Good luck (y) :nod:

Pressure wash that mess.
The inlet is held by a hose clamp.
The output is an inverted flare fitting.

"...do something to the tank?"
I dont think so. It's just all frm right there. Clean gas comin out & mixin w/the crap around the leak.
If worried drain a lill off (gravety) as line dangles. Examine in clean (may B white?) bucket...

Thanks for all the pointers. I ordered a replacement hose from CJPony, the one in there now is a cludge. Last 20% to the carb is a rubber hose. The fuel coming out seems fine, that's a relief.

wsa111":18pgdnm2 said:
Pressure wash that mess.
That is a good idea. My mechanic didnt want to get too gung ho on the cleaning since I have a PS leak that is so caked over, you cant make out the shape of the ... whatever the hell it is (cylinder?) So he cleaned up most, but not all the undercarriage.

Max_Effort":18pgdnm2 said:
Looks like an an oily mess is just collecting there. If it were gas, it would be clean and reek of gas odor.
Leaks run down hill. (unless they are spraying out) replace the line, clean the engine so it’s clean and dry, run it and see where the wet spot develops.
Tru dat. That's why I'm thinking gasket leak... tis downhill.

DoctorC":3dnl7e26 said:
Thanks for all the pointers. I ordered a replacement hose from CJPony, the one in there now is a cludge. Last 20% to the carb is a rubber hose. The fuel coming out seems fine, that's a relief.

wsa111":3dnl7e26 said:
Pressure wash that mess.
That is a good idea. My mechanic didnt want to get too gung ho on the cleaning since I have a PS leak that is so caked over, you cant make out the shape of the ... whatever the heck it is (cylinder?) So he cleaned up most, but not all the undercarriage.

Max_Effort":3dnl7e26 said:
Tru dat. That's why I'm thinking gasket leak... tis downhill.

So in this last post you just answered your original first question, since the Power Steering is leaking, this oil / fluid is being blown by the fan or air movement as you drive the car. Its going to be all over the bottom of the engine, plus the chassis, as well on the fuel pump. You need to get that PS leak fixed first than clean the whole bottom of the car. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back