Exhaust manifold fastener broken

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hi all,
Upon inspection of my engine bay today, I noticed that the exhaust manifold cast catch of the fastener bolt (front) has half missing. It's rough and dirty, so it's been like that a loooong time. Is this anything I should be concerned about? It's the cylinder head that is broken, so I guess to fix it I'd have to swap heads. I'm thinking of upgrading to a large log anyway, but not for a while.

Any thoughts?

Pic attached

Thanks in advance!
-DrC

Attachments

• 20190513_174356.jpg
    20190513_174356.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 79
DoctorC":3qdaq4ki said:
Hi all,
Upon inspection of my engine bay today, I noticed that the exhaust manifold cast catch of the fastener bolt (front) has half missing. It's rough and dirty, so it's been like that a loooong time. Is this anything I should be concerned about? It's the cylinder head that is broken, so I guess to fix it I'd have to swap heads. I'm thinking of upgrading to a large log anyway, but not for a while.

Any thoughts?

Pic attached

Thanks in advance!
-DrC
Mine is the same, just don't touch it and you should be fine. If you dont have an exhaust leak, especially don't touch it. You csn keep the same head, but it will need to be cast iron welded. I'm going to a later head so I'm not worrying about mine. If thats what you plan to as well, don't worry about it

It's prety common for people to break those ears off. Not one of Fords better ideas. People do like what was done there and use a longer bolt with a nut, and usually a washer, to help hold on to what's left.

Well it now looks like you have two reasons to ditch the early dog log head, and go with the late model high flo funnel port log head.

I just finished the Falcon Handbook... I'm liking the idea of a new exhaust manifold for an easy boost... and now I have an excuse too!

DoctorC":212uvyy7 said:
I just finished the Falcon Handbook... I'm liking the idea of a new exhaust manifold for an easy boost... and now I have an excuse too!
You'll need a new head too or fix yours. if you want the most CCs of intake, go with a hex log from 1980. Thats what i have. I believe it has another 70 CCs over the flat top.

Good luck,
Ryan

Exactly what I have in mind. Theres a few about 200mi away ina parts yard. I'm gonna call and see how much to ship. Only about 100 bucks for the head!
Did you mill your head to compensate for gasket and increase CR, or how did you deal with the volume change/CR?

DoctorC":3ux8u9r4 said:
Exactly what I have in mind. Theres a few about 200mi away ina parts yard. I'm gonna call and see how much to ship. Only about 100 bucks for the head!
Did you mill your head to compensate for gasket and increase CR, or how did you deal with the volume change/CR?
I have yet to get that far. All the work I've done to it is solely the 2V conversion. I'll be upping the exhaust valve to 1.5 next and checking the combustion chambers afterwards. Hopefully it won't need to be milled much since it was redone not too long ago by the previous owner.

"...Did you mill your head to compensate for gasket and increase CR, or how did you deal with the volume change/CR?..."
"...just finished the Handbook..."
Ur really gettin into it now. Stick w/the Handbook. To answ ur Q U will C the "CCing the head". Lotta factors go into this inc the "gasket compression thickness", trueing out any 'non-flat' warps, and exact voluumn of that new head.

I bettin (depending on mi put on & type of drivin) U gotta alot of time to wrk out all the details. That rig'll run as is. Keep ur eyes onit @ that location, assess 4 escapin heat, runnin condition & 'nearer the end' a compression ck on #1.

Back