something went wrong

Ordered set of freeze plugs, but found out they sent me only for engine. There are 4 small and one 1 3/4" on cylinder head. The small ones have 555 - 017 stamp on it. I can't find it online, O Reilys don't have it. Do you know where to purchase? Thank you.

Michal, Also on the gaskets I will usually use a sealer like Gasket Stench or Permatex non hardening to glue the gasket to the block and so it stays in place. Do you have a NAPA dealer near you? They should have the smaller freeze plugs (I think they are 1 inch) on side of the head and the larger rear one for the back of the head. Good luck hope you get it back on the road soon (y) :nod:

I am using Permatex, aviation grade on plugs. I was able to find 1 3/4". I also found 1", but only shallow and there were originally deep ones. Is it ok to use shallow ones? I found deep online, but it will postpone the project.... Thank you!

P.S. there were actually 2 plugs in one hole (1 3/4") at the end of the head. One regular plug and flat one on top of it. I managed to remove the flat one without damage, should I put it back or one standard plug is ok?

There is some residue on head, what's the best way to remove it, meaning flat side?

",,,residue on head,,,"
I was thinkin - the head has 'plugs' too' (2 ends of log & may B others) so thought U might have gotten them (correct motor, wrong location). U seem straight now?

residue...is it metal? snot? Possibly either can come off w/wire brush ( hand held or machine). If just 'gasket smear' xilothene, other solvent. Keep offa hands, clean offa the metal when 'gone'.

Sounds like ur movin thru it well now? :mrgreen: :cool: Y the frz plugs? I didn't think I saw U state a need...

Yes the Permatex Aviation sealer will work great. I like the deep soft plugs better they go in straighter and hold better, the shallow ones may work but Ford used the deep ones originally so that's what I would use too. I would use the one standard deep soft plug on the rear and forget doubling it up with a flat one. After cleaning it up a little with a gasket scraper I use a flat rubber sanding block with some 180 or 220 sand paper, if you want to clean the carbon out of the combustion chambers you can use a wire brush on a drill. Good luck (y) :nod:

Miracle did not happened, he got the plate, not the spacer...
Danny, pls let me know your address and how much for spacer, I will mail you check tomorrow morning. Thank you!

frm pic it looked like U needed both.
Keep us informed, luck B wid ya...

I will look for the spacer tonight.
The first block I was going to rebuild was basically scrap. Line bored so much that the main caps were unusable, rods were shot, crank was cracked, block was already way over- bored .
Hopefully the spacer can live on !
DannyG

No wont fit a 200 the 240 is a Big Block six used in the larger Ford Cars 1965 to 72 Customs, Galxie, ect. And F100, F250, F350, pickups. :nod:

Hi guys, I am doing small progress, but moving forward.
I put in oil pan, pita..... not much room under car.
I installed timing chain, cover, pump, sway bar with new bushings.
I cleaned pistons, put all new freeze plugs on engine and head.
Question - do I put any stuff on head gasket? If yes, what's best?
First piston is up, distributor points towards cable to first cylinder, notch on crankshaft wheel is lined up with TDC on chain cover. Right?

Attachments

• IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 58
rustywagon":2raukm97 said:
Hi guys, I am doing small progress, but moving forward.
I put in oil pan, pita..... not much room under car.
I installed timing chain, cover, pump, sway bar with new bushings.
I cleaned pistons, put all new freeze plugs on engine and head.
Question - do I put any stuff on head gasket? If yes, what's best?
First piston is up, distributor points towards cable to first cylinder, notch on crankshaft wheel is lined up with TDC on chain cover. Right?

:beer: Congrats you made a lot of great progress!

It will Depend on type of head gasket your using. The old stock Ford head gaskets were a steel shim or a copper one (these are still available custom made) if that's what you using (they both can be harder to find today) then yes you would use some sealer like Copper Coat that is excellent. But Lets say you are using a new style composite head gasket that are more common today such as a FelPro PermaTorque or Victor head gasket then no sealer or other stuff is needed.

Yes it sounds like you have timing chain installed and timed correctly. Good luck (y) :nod:

I put all back together yesterday and she started right away....
But the back seal on oil pan is leaking badly.
I gotta re do the gaskets.
What's the proper way to do it?
Silicone gaskets on pain, clamp it, wait to dry and then silicone and bolts on engine?
I applied silicone on and mounted on engine, but looks like the U shaped gasket moved....
Any advice appreciated!

Back