Exhaust size and muffler type

A helmholtz exhaust resonator (aka as a 1/4 wave pipe) is different than the type of resonator you probably expect. It might be worthwhile to read about them.

But - yes - avoid back-pressure. It is a myth that you need any back-pressure. You need sufficient exhaust gas velocity, but not back-pressure.

& scavaging (a la David Vizzard)

If you want to keep an exhaust simple, 2" pipes and muffler probably offer the most options. Simple pre-formed (mandrel bends preferred) tubing can be used with your 'choice' of mufflers and resonators.

'Flex' sections after collector and sufficient resilient hangars are recommended for helping keep torque-twist from separating welds and couplings.

My personal preference is 'Smithy" mufflers for minimizing the described: six drone and still provide the desired performance sound. I use two OEM mufflers on my daily driver for ultimate quiet cruising , (which should halve the OEM backpressure'.)

( Helmholtz resonator: think the resonance when blowing across the top of a bottle - different sizes have different resonant frequencies...)

have fun

Back