Holley 1909 woes

62Cometman

Those of you who are good with carbs i beg your ear, i have had this particular carb on my car since i bought it some 15 years ago with some finesse, carb clean and gaskets its served me very well over the years however, this last month or so it has been giving me the fits, i cannot for the life of me get this car to idle anymore, it just wont idle at all, once into the RPMS its ok but acts like its missing, ive checked and double checked that its not a timing issue or an ignition issue so that leave fuel.

The thing acts like its running pig rich all the time, the car always seemed to run rich and i pulled the jet but dont seen any numbering so im not certain what size it is but it new is the thing i started it up after a few months of sitting over the winter and it idled fine as it warmed up and after coming back in it didnt want to idle at all and hasnt since. I have also taken it apart cleaned everything even ultrasoniced the body and small parts and reassembled but still will not idle. Im starting to pull my hair out here :banghead: please if any of you have any ideas let me know would be much appreciated.

How the condistion of the throttle shaft? Dose shaft have movement sideways or up and down loose from wear of the shaft or the shaft holes in the throttle body? Good luck (y) :nod:

The throttle shaft on the side where it attaches to the accelerator pump does have what i would consider excessive wear, id say maybe .030-.050 up and down, but i dont have a replacement shaft for it nor do i know of anyone selling one, i also wouldnt think that would cause a missing issue, a lean issue maybe but not missing, if that was the case why wasnt it doing it last year or the year previous at all? im considering swapping back to a 1100, i unfortunately had then almost immediately got rid of it as i thought i was going to a 2 barrel, but im cheap and really dont want to invest another 200 (remaned) into this car right now when i have other projects occupying my time

"...the shaft holes..."
wuz Bubs talin bout wear on the sides (C quote) such that air seeps in? if so:
That would B a 're-bush kit' sold on fleebay (& havin a good thread here on the site) cheeper
than a carb but requiring a removal'n some of that precious time U mention.
The shaft is metal, the sides alu - worn by yrs of use.

Back