Air flow (PVC) through valve cover confusion

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hi All,
My 200 came with a chrome cap over a tube in the valve cover (over cylinder 1) that connects to the big blue dish air cleaner.
The other end (over cyl 6) has a hose going to the carb base somewhere.

In reading here about these 2 breather functions, I'm now more confused than before. Apparently Ford designed a close loop system. OK, fine. Now I'm gonna screw with it by installing a Weber carb, high flow filter (no connection for breather) and removing the spacer (no connection for hose).

Now, browsing the interwebs, I have seen pics with small round K&N style filters on the breather. So I assume that's an OK thing to do, which makes sense since it's sucking in filtered air.

But what do I do with the hose? And now it's not at all a closed system... Whats the detriment?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom!
DrC

Hi, you are working on the pcv system. The front is the oil fill tube, and the cap, as you know, connects the the air cleaner, to allow fresh air into the crankcase.
The rear hose connects the pcv valve on the rear of the valve cover to a large, 3/8" vacuum port under the carb.
You need to keep the pcv system in good working order to keep the engine running clean.
Part of changing to a different carb will be to figure out vacuum for the other systems, such as an automatic tranny, power brakes, and the best port for the distributor vacuum advance.
Good luck

all agreed.
This is a repost to ur other thread.
Closed is best (I like ele choke too rather than the asbestos lill tube going dwn to get heat frm the ex. manny)
Just sayin again - to get correct PCV valve for Y/M/M.
Clear? if not keep talkin~

You could replace it with one of those K&N type filter elements that go on the oil fill. There is a mesh filter in the oem valve cover breather/fill cap. It helps to better keep grime out of the engine by drawing it past the carbs air filter. Before that they had the same cap breather w/holes around the bottom instead of the hose barb in their "closed loop system". It's still closed loop b/c it feeds into to intake, it's just not filtered as well where the air comes in and will put more grime into the engine and oil.

get what U need Doctor ?

So I'm returning to VI the 2 chrome caps I got, originally to put one on each end. They actually didnt fit =(
So, new plan based on feedback here is to go with K&N style filter for intake, and I dunno yet for the out.
Thanks for asking Chad!

Best
DrC

some of those 'caps' have a nipple/tube that the hose friction fits for the rubber line that goes to
A/c housing (frm frnt of V/C). Back (I think I saw ur pic) U have is OK,,,just the hose to somewhere below throttle blade (on carb or log). I don't think I saw the PCV valve in it, tho. That would B a 'closed system'. Sorry 4 da V8, but same idea

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 53
I just wanted to tie up loose ends and say I've decided to keep the stock setup. The high flow air filter I got from VI for my new Weber install cam with an L connection to hook up the intake cap, so it'll act like stock. The Weber has a port for the return of the PCV. So I'll be able to keep the stock setup going =)

thanks for the clarifications and patience.
-DrC

sounds like a well thought out prt list and optimal set up.
Thinkin that 200 (I assume) is happy w/that carb'n the DSII !
:nod:

Back