Holley 1908 on a 200 cid 6 cylinder engine

Mr Comet

I know as a role this combo does not make the most sense. Maybe non at all but it is the most likely of any of the carbs I had in the garage when I learned the Carter RBS was too large and flooding out my plugs. Has any one made it work? If so any help would be appreciated. To compound the challenge I have needed to customize the linkage from gas pedal to carb. I can tell I needed to open the idle needle. I have no idea the current size of the jet but driving is not an issue. One issue is idle once the car gets hot and smooth ecceleration which could be a timing issue. Am I totally wasting my time? Money is kinda tight right now so I am trying to come up with a stop gap until I can get something like an Autolite 1100. I read a number of the older posts but nothing addressed this specific issue. Thanks in advance.

good info on Mike's carbs on-line (rebuild vids, round about research on jet sz for 200, rebuild kits for sale).
I'm wonderin if U have the float set @ correct hight, cleanliness of fuel/filter, a piece of grit in there, a LOM/SCV mismatch...
https://www.carburetor-parts.com/FordMe ... _1118.html

Mr Comet":3e5shxol said:
Chad have you used the Holley 1908 with a 200cid?
Hey!
no, wish I hada 200 (several 170s & 250s). Like the YF, RBS.
The 200 could usea 2v likea Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 ora Holley 2300. My choice would B a H/W 32/36.

Anyway, the 1908 is the 1 many put the glass bowl on, no?
Would U like to disassemble?

I did run a 1908 on my 200 and had no issues other than hesitation which was fixed by the correct length accelerator pump. Remember now, the largest the 1908 was intended for was a 170, so it will not flow as much as you'll want for power but if you just need it to drive it'll be fine. Smooth accel could be an issue with the economizer inside, the vacuum piece could be brittle. I'd run a rebuild kit through it if it hasn't been touched in a while. Make sure its not leaking gas either. They tend to leak around the bowl and at the back where the accelerator pump rod comes out. If its leaking, rebuild the carb, otherwise it's dripping gas onto a hot intake. I had the same issue till i rebuilt mine. My dad lost is 1972 Chrysler Town and Country 440 due to a leaky carb, it roasted the whole engine bay.

I did run a Holley 1904 from a 215 or 223 L6 just fine. I had no issues with that one other than vapor lock when it got hot, like 85+ out. That was with just the aluminum spacer without water hooked up. A phenolic specer probably woulda fixed it

Good luck,
Ryan

StarDiero75

Thanks for the response, Do you by chance remember anything about the settings like how many turns out you had for the mixture screw? Or what rpm you ran it at? It will start up but won"t idle long before stalling. I am not well versed on adjusting the auto choke. Also it is sticking about a third of the way from closed to open. At least I know the carb will work if I keep tinkering with it. Chad might be right about the float. maybe it needs to be lower to open the port more for this use. I just rebuilt the carb so the parts are new. I am not very knowledgeable about carbs.

"...not very knowledgeable..."
stick w/us. Never did a carb rebuild till I got the guidance here a decade ago.
The float can B adj w/o removal frm engine on that 1908 I believe.

"...how many turns..."
each is different but yer right, can B relatively close

look it all up on Mike's vid & ask here if any Qs...

Mr Comet":153xzu9s said:
StarDiero75

Thanks for the response, Do you by chance remember anything about the settings like how many turns out you had for the mixture screw? Or what rpm you ran it at? It will start up but won"t idle long before stalling. I am not well versed on adjusting the auto choke. Also it is sticking about a third of the way from closed to open. At least I know the carb will work if I keep tinkering with it. Chad might be right about the float. maybe it needs to be lower to open the port more for this use. I just rebuilt the carb so the parts are new. I am not very knowledgeable about carbs.
Mixture screw setting will be different for every car. It should be, if on the correct engine about 2ish turns out. Yours should be more than that, probably 3ish or more. I tuned it by ear so i don't know the rpm, probably 650-7ish.

It could be dying b/c the choke isnt closing. Make sure it opens all the way. When jts shut. It shouldn't close entirely. There should be a. 25-5/16 gap between the choke flap and bore. Float setting is important. Tske the bowl off and turn the carb upside down, the float should be level. If not, that can cause some issues.

You can take the bowl off on the car but its messy since the bowl is front mounted. Just take it off

I set the float just as you stated. I am only at 2.5 turns so I will try three. That still leaves the choke as an issue. I will be busy tomorrow and Friday. Try on the weekend thanks.

Mr Comet":30nlwpxl said:
I set the float just as you stated. I am only at 2.5 turns so I will try three. That still leaves the choke as an issue. I will be busy tomorrow and Friday. Try on the weekend thanks.
Back it off till it idles smooth, then lean it in slightly till it stumbles, then back it off 1/4-1/2 turns. But make sure the choke fully closes or opens and that it moves freely

I have purchased an Autolite 1100 carb so I will no longer be trying to tune the Holley 1908 but would like to thank everyone for your help. I think I saw on this site step by step instructions on tuning in the autolite 1100 carb. If anyone is familiar with this thread and can forward a link I would appreciate it. I have hesitation when I first accelerate but not sure If I should adjust the timing or the fuel mixture first. Once again any help would be appreciated.

I won't search out the thread 4 U, a lill too busy right now
*use search function name it right) buba wrote one
*look at the index page for General Tech Read Only as we have some stickies
*C 'tech archive' @ big blue box above
Try Mike's on his vids as suggested.

Look @ my title to this post 4 a good running rig (its not "just carbs") !

Back