Stock fuel pump flow rate.

64-5mustang

Just the other day had my first fuel supply problem. When going up the mountain got to the steepest part. Acted up a bit got real lean. Gave it a rev in neutral. Back to normal got to the top of that slope and died. Ran the carb and filter out of fuel. The car did not over heat that was my biggest concern and I'm happy it didn't. The engen is a mild 200 with a holly 350 and stock fuel pump. In town I've never had a fuel problem. But the mountain is the biggest and longest load I've put on it. So under about 1/4 1/2 throttle some times full under that kind of load should the pump be able to keep up or slowly run out like it did. What pump would be recommended i do wish to keep a mechanic pump because I don't want more electric parts on the car. And a big thanks in advanced.

i;d think more altitude than load w/that example
esp if only goin up there the once...
U can look up the oem flow (GPM), get a stop watch'n bucket if wanting to measure...
but altitude is jet/enrichen screw I believe...
:idea:

carter street/strip pump w/the arm mod in the tech articles or
general tech/read only would B waY ENUFF...

Howdy Back Mustang:

First some questions. How old is your current fuel pump? What cam are you using and how old is it? The stock fuel pump on our sixes runs off of an eccentric lobe on the cam. As this lobe wears it gives less lift to the fuel pump lever.

How hot was it on the day that this episode happened? I'm thinking vapor lock could have been the cause.

Yes, a stock fuel pump should deliver enough fuel in most situations.

Adios, David

Basically, what David said. :)

As for an aftermarket Mech. fuel pump there is none. There was an how-to somewhere. That showed how to open up a V8 pump and swap the arm with a i6 arm. But you needed a specific NOS pump that was pinned together. Most of the newer pumps you can not open up. I used to have one but sold it a long time ago.

Re: Tri Power Again
Post #94 by xctasy » Sat Aug 18, 2018

Free Flow Rate should exceed the equivalant of 29 us gals ph/109 liters ph and Maximum Pressure (psi) should exceed 7 psi at that delivery rate. They leak into the sump when the seals break, so check it first.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76476&p=588678&hilit=fuel+pump+flow+rate#p588678
The best SBC Carter Super Strip fuel pump and the D6 DE 6749 AB arm swap like hasa68mustang post in http://classicinlines.com/fuelpump.asp, produces 120 gallons per hour of flow at 9psi line pressure.

Pump stroke through poor pump placement on the gasket causes a potential delvery issue. Fords I6 era pumps had Eccentric total lift of 0.290-0.310 inches, Stroke off the cam should be that much. The same kind of pump on a Chevy or AMC recieves a 0.337 " stroke from the pushrod.

A magnetic dial gauge will get you in ball park, then a quick discahge into a Thinners tin over time ( one minute at revs under load) will tell you the disharge rate. Fuel pressure gauge will give you the pressure. If you can safely meaure the under load fuel pressue and delivery with an exhilary fuel suply without death of yourself or another rat...safety first!

the pump should B fine (it wuz designed for that hill).
"...in town I've never had a fuel problem. ..."

If no probs, try it again. I'm still guessin @ the altitude issue.

Even vapor lock as 1 has said (as U slo dwn & begin creepin up that hill flow slo dwn & is more likely to frez...
:idea:

I will agree vapor lock could have happen not sure if it did or didn't. The cam is a year old the pump is about 4 still less than a 1000 miles. No fuel in oil. The temp that day was 95. I'll do a flow test when I have a friend that can lend a hand. I do recall reading something about moding a pump that was years ago don't recall where tho.

bubba22349":2d8pw1wd said:
The Carter fuel pump upgrade is in the Tech Archive see below link. Good luck (y) :nod:

Carter Fuel Pump Upgrade
https://fordsix.com/ci/FuelPump.html

And with Pictures

Like this https://fordsix.com/ci/FuelPump.html

pump002.jpg

pump004.jpg

Ford designed the engine for climbing hills with people in the car. Most likely an ALTITUDE problem due to it getting very thin up there. Could be gas if tank was really low and pump sucking air. Just my 2 cents.

Back