Diagnosing Vapor Lock??

sorry, just writing out the long description will kill my arthritic hands.
Many of ur recommend folks gettin up to speed on the automotive systems.
Order a Handbook form Matt at vintage inlines dot com...read the tech archive while waiting for delivery.
Like said I hada read just to know the Qs to ask. This is not just knuckle draggin. There's some understanding'n science.

"...new rules ..."
no nuttin new, just a case where folks might get burned out, IDK ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thnx 4 askin tho.

You have 3 choices. Run manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance or modify the 1100 to a ported vacuum carb. Or get a 68 & later non SCV carb.
There is a tech article on how to convert the SCV carb. to ported vacuum.
The idle problem maybe a sticking advance or the advance in the DS11 coming on too soon.
Put a rag over the carb. air horn to richen the mixture at idle & see if the calms the idle problem.

Bill, thanks for the concise, great reply. I am leaning on the 1100 ported vacuum. Thanks for the answers again.

Yeah if you're running the DS11 with the SCV 1100 then it ain't gonna run right. I had a SCV 1100 without a LOM dizzy and i had the same issue. The idle would be different almost everytime i drove then stopped. Problem was fixed when i replaced the carb with a Holley 1904, but its a little small of a carb to run on the 200.

Like WSA said, swap the carb, or mod the carb. Modding it doesnt look that difficult, I'd try that.

Good luck
Ryan

I followed Sandiero and WSA111 advice and have completed the mod of the 1100 carb. When I put it back on I had fuel coming out of the top of the carb after idling for a few minutes. The new electric fuel pump now generates 9 lbs of fuel pressure which is more than that little carb needs so I have ordered a pressure regulator. I watched a few videos on the 1100 carb and Mike said I needed 2 to 4 set balls. I have 3. Would the mod of the SCV make any difference on the ball by one port I sealed off?

If the port is sealed off no ball is needed.
The only ball needed is in the accelerator pump. Maybe the dashpot for an automatic trans.

Mr Comet":j4ahgy57 said:
I followed Sandiero and WSA111 advice and have completed the mod of the 1100 carb. When I put it back on I had fuel coming out of the top of the carb after idling for a few minutes. The new electric fuel pump now generates 9 lbs of fuel pressure which is more than that little carb needs so I have ordered a pressure regulator. I watched a few videos on the 1100 carb and Mike said I needed 2 to 4 set balls. I have 3. Would the mod of the SCV make any difference on the ball by one port I sealed off?

There's also a weight above the discharge port(?) ball. Mine was missing 1 of it's three balls(most carbs don't have 4 balls, I think maybe it's an 1101 or some CA carb) and it was missing the weight. Actually, it had 3 balls but one was in place of the weight and another port was missing it's ball. And that carb was a Canadian rebuild that my friend, the po, for sure never opened up. I made the weight out of a piece of aluminum rod per Mikes description, 1 gram iirc. I also set the balls with a small bronze drift to help ensure they seal.

http://www.carburetor-blog.com/autolite-1100-carburetor/

Econoline I am glad you addressed the balls issue. when replacing my balls there are only for areas they can go. With the top off the carb off the four locations are by the accelerator pump, the despot the discharge and the SCV area. In Mike's video he puts the three balls he has in the accelerator, discharge (with weight on top) and SCV area. There is no ball in the despot port. So I did the same on mine, sound correct to any of you guys out in Autolite 1100 land?

You don't need any at the SCV area, cause you deleted it. If you put a check ball in there you will block ported vacuum.

Back