Blow by?

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hi all,
So I'm trying to figure out why my engine looks like a steam locomotive. I made a short video showing it. Is this blow by?

I'm also burning a little oil from the looks of it, but it wasn't before I swapped the dizzy and the carb. Maybe this is because my plugs have to much gap (around 54)?

https://youtu.be/NkmMzC02eSw

If it makes any difference, when I hook the pcv system to the carb it idles rougher. Doesn't seem to matter at higher revs.

Any help is much appreciated.

Edit:

Wait, I just watched your video again and it looks like you have the pcv hooked up to something other than a vacuum port. That's to high on the carb, like maybe it's a vent port. Sorry I don't have a weber, but the pcv should be hooked up to a full vacuum port, it has to be below the throttle plates. If that's the case the vapor is probably just normal amounts of blowby/vapor and it's venting out b/c there is no vacuum on the pcv port.

32_36DGAV_Emmissions.jpg

Never

EVER

Hook that nosle to the PCV system.

It's blocked here at the carb. Not the ABC part but the part you have the PCV hose hooked to. See....Its blocked!

search

See

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... -3-project

The poster mark hagen had the same issue.

He used an AE Wagner balanced PCV valve.

The Webers have them blanked off in all stock Ford 2-bbls. When the emisdions systems came in 1969 to 1980, Ford worldwide spent a motza on specific Vacuum Emissions Connection Instruction VECI diagrams which depict how things are arranged, but no log head six in line came with the 2bbl Weber, so you have to copy the AMC and European Ford set ups.

The under carb system as per the stock 1-bbl and 2-bbl Ford in liners is very different in detail to the 4 bbl V8 systems.

Yeah. That stuff on Webers really sucks. EVERYTHING IS AIR BALANCED.

On a high vac in line six, stock PCV hook-ups are all wrong. What seamed or seams logical is just not helpfull.

Return lines werent used on the carb in 4 cylinder US Pintos, Vegas, Chevettes, AMC's, Chevettes and Fox Ford 2.3's.

It had other things added elseware.

European and Aussie Webers had bleed back return lines, and you could get away with wrong fitting hookups if the fuel pressure was low.

On a Pinto, that type of carb has a raft of special crutches to make it work.

Thanks to all for the feedback

Yay, my engine is not screwed . But I'm surprised how complicated this is. When I chose this setup I imagined it was pretty common and would be pretty straightforward. Oh well.

Question: I removed the stock spacer. Any opinions on how to add back the PCV to the adapter without screwing it up too bad? Just drill a hole and thread a hose fitting?

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip Ecoline. I think I'll do that. Currently hooked up there is a line to the Tranny from the looks of it. I'll probably be hooking up the vacuum advance of the dizzy there too, if I ant work out the Weber vacuum balance.

Anyone think this triple tee is a bad idea?

Many thanks

"...I'll probably be hooking up the vacuum advance of the dizzy there too..."
make sure. Know the difference btw 'ported' vac and 'manifold' vac *(above v below the 'butterfly').
:nod:
Cont f/u with either or both: tech archive &/or the Handbook.
*(I think this will help U realize more abt the blow by U had).

Econoline":8lw9rjfp said:
If there's no port on the carb base or adapter you can tie it into the vacuum port on the log below the carb with a male x female x female 1/4" brass tee and a 1/4 male x 3/8 barb fitting.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Met...pipe+tee&qid=1563647541&s=gateway&sr=8-7&th=1

Should be able to find one at the autoparts store like napa, at the hardware store or big box.

I did this over my lunch break. Wow it made a nice difference! No more fumes in the cabin and the idle is much smoother. Thanks a bunch! BTW, I'd never been to Napa before since Autozone is a couple blocks away.... man that place is heaven!!

Next step is, like Chad said, figure out how my baby runs best for vac advance. ported or manifold.

I think i'll take this whole experience and write up a tech doc!

I keep getting a smokey idle. It looks and smells slightly of oil, but started after I did the whole carb update and hooked the PCV to manifold. I can see smoke in the mirror at idle (stoplight).

I've read that it could be the PCV system being oil rich, therefore burning oil as it gets recycled. So I replaced the PCV valve to see if that helps. It didnt. I added a filtered cap as a breather, trying to increase the vacuum needed to ventilate the crankcase. Didnt help.

Since I'm using this as my DD, will i smell it if I simply vent blow-by and not burn it (dual K&N filters)? I'm trying to keep the cabin as pleasant as possible so the wifey will ride with me.

Any other options on how to separate the blow-by from the oil so I dont burn it? I hear mixed reviews on catch cans.

Your rocker cover needs to be closed off.

Stock, its like this.

PCV_68_STANG_DR.jpg

Are you able to use the pressure balanced system with the baffeld later model Fox rocker cover?

This means using the the under carb big log spacer which scavenges the PCV from the rocker cover.

The firewall/plenub mounted oil filler is far back in those, and the fumes go to the enclosed air cleaner...it cannot be open element anymore.

valve%20cover%20grunge4.jpg

valve%20cover%20clean1.jpg

After 1973, everything had an internal baffel to stop the atomised oil vapor getting into the PCV.

wsa111 uses and extended stock 4.9 big six or V8 pcv with a hose underneath it.

Aha! I'm using the stock cover from 67. This sounds like a great idea!
And the hunt begins! The cover isnt any higher is it? There's only a smidge between the Weber carb and cover...

Off to parts-search i go!

I like the methodical workman-like process U R using on this (reminds me of turbo's comment in my sig below) esp if U R not a mechanic. A mighty fine scientist then ! U will get to the bottom of this & have the best ride around soon !

Make sure U have the proper PCV valve 4 ur make/model/motor/yr. Make sure U have it routed correclly, is not able to get oil into it frm the crankcase ie V/C. Some use a catch can but let's not go that far till the above is assured. (Some blow by just IS. It indicates deeper issues that R more expensive time/$-wise).

What color is the smoke? fluffy white? or dirty grey/black?
(scientists use e v e r y sense B4 da brain & that makes no cents !?!)

S L O W. D O W N

EDIT
(5 sec later w/other entries by members)
even a baffel would do it in current VC

Lastly, re-ck the diagram X posted U in #3 post above. If U have the 32/36 U need those hoses hooked up exactly as seen in the sketch. NAPA, Autostoned hasa plastic triple Tee as seen in the diagram. Econoline showed a brass one.

Your stock adaptor needs to be changed to have this part added.

PCV_68_STANG_DR001.jpg

And this part from the filler cap to the air cleaner.

PCV_68_STANG_DR003.jpg

This is from a Weber 2-bbl carbed 2.3 Mustang

BTW, any aftermarket suggestions that don't leak like a sieve?

X - he hasa VI supplied adapter he tried to remove to drill out fora tap I believe...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77388
xctasy":2bebczb3 said:
Hand made adaptor for 1963 head found on my 1966 Falcon engine.

On your car, the later 4.9/300 F150 air cleaner fits under the hood with a YFA on top of a 200,

and the whole 300 Ford truck PCV system

The air cleaner on a 300 F150 truck
ford-300-10.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76871
Asa":2bebczb3 said:
Actually splurged on that Wagner PCV setup. It instantly fixed the surging and other issues associated with it. I love it, best buy since the DSII setup.

I might look at rejetting the carb with the original jet and the new rod.

Thanks X

chad":2uohdt49 said:
I like the methodical workman-like process U R using on this (reminds me of turbo's comment in my sig below) esp if U R not a mechanic. A mighty fine scientist then ! U will get to the bottom of this & have the best ride around soon !

Thanks! I'm a EE with a PhD in Neuroscience, so methodical and analytical is the name of the game!

Make sure U have the proper PCV valve 4 ur make/model/motor/yr. Make sure U have it routed correclly, is not able to get oil into it frm the crankcase ie V/C. Some use a catch can but let's not go that far till the above is assured. (Some blow by just IS. It indicates deeper issues that R more expensive time/$-wise).
Yeah, not diggin the catch can. As mentioned I have the VI adapter and the Weber 32/36. I was going to drill a hole in the adapter for the PCV, then ended up following the suggestion of hooking up to a manifold T.

What color is the smoke? fluffy white? or dirty grey/black?
(scientists use e v e r y sense B4 da brain & that makes no cents !?!)
Thinly blue. Not a big diesel like smog, more a lightly burning oil blue.

Lastly, re-ck the diagram X posted U in #3 post above. If U have the 32/36 U need those hoses hooked up exactly as seen in the sketch. NAPA, Autostoned hasa plastic triple Tee as seen in the diagram. Econoline showed a brass one.
I did the brass T to the manifold, as suggested by Econoline. So I'm currently running PCV and Tranny vac off the manifold with Carb in-vac plugged and port-vac plugged. I did not do the full triple tee he shows in the image. Should I? If necessary I can put the stock spacer back on...

Actually splurged on that Wagner PCV setup. It instantly fixed the surging and other issues associated with it. I love it, best buy since the DSII setup.

I'll read through that thread when i get home. It looks like it's pretty exhaustively explained!

xctasy":2uohdt49 said:
Your rocker cover needs to be closed off.

Stock, its like this.

PCV_68_STANG_DR.jpg

Are you able to use the pressure balanced system with the baffeld later model Fox rocker cover?

Looky, my engine! So, in the latest iteration, the forward hole (oil filler) is capped with a universal breather cap (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_...over+Breather+-+Hi-Perf&keywordInput=breather) and the PCV hose is connected to a T brass on the manifold (since my spacer was deleted) and here is shown incorrectly hooked up to the carb.

I'm liking the idea of a pressure balanced system. I'm gonna look into that...

yeah, way back (another thread? this thread?) I musta advocated a 'closed pcv system'. The 32/36 won't allow it, U still may have ring trouble by the sounda da smoke. Let's C wasss up when U got this prt dwn.

Back