Machine Shop Questions

Matthew68

Hi Folks,

Getting ready to drop my 68 200 block off for rebuild to the machine shop. I’m a first timer for block work, but I’ve taken a few heads in. Ive also never rebuilt a block or have much knowledge other than what I’ve read here, tech archives and YouTube. I just want to be smart about it and do it right.

When I drop the block off, is there any special considerations I need to jot down, share with the machinist, etc? They are doing the tear down, machine work, and rebuild. I have 2 kids under 3 and work full time, so I have no spare time to do this myself.

Anything special to the 200 I should make them aware of? What questions should I be asking? What should I be documenting? I saw somewhere clearances (not sure which ones they were referencing) should be measured and noted, but what other items should I be conscious about?

Appreciate your help ahead of time.

Cheers,
Matthew

here's hopin U know what U want frm 'the Handbook', tech archive, or other means. If so - U can advocate for what U want. U will have an end goal in mind (full plans &) & how to get there. Otherwise THEY will tell YOU what they're gunna do, how much it will cost, etc.

If not you would be best to let it all go and follow to the letter every thing they say, follow their lead, release it to a trusted shop, etc...This 2nd route means U R&R (remove'n replace the motor) only - or even farm that out...

One hybrid approach is to have them store it right there, do not proceed, till U do the research, then tell them what U want.
/OR/
ask them how they will "do what" to achieve an end goal U state

I : disassembled, measured, told, asked costs, negotiated, they replied, worked & returned, I got assembly assistance. How many ways to skin a cat?

Personally,I try to avoid places that push" typical" bore jobs. .030,060,090...Most times you can get by with.010.I like to have as much meat as I can,and unless they sonic,it's hard to determine casting drift or know for certain your wall thickness.
In addition,anything over .010 on the crank and I'll just get another.But maybe that's just me.
I haven't seen any oiling tricks on here like on my FE's about opening up oiling passages,so I think all you can do is check it yourself when you get it back.Had to clean out a piece of shaving once that was really stuck,really deep and very clean.They try,but everybody makes mistakes....

Besides the bore size. You will also want to know final compression ratio. What are you aiming for? Are they degreeing the cam?

Don't forget about paint color. It might sound silly. Are you painting everything Ford Blue? There are 3 types of Blue. Keeping the oil pan or timing cover other colors?

Back