Head swap

Ford65

Hi, I have a 65 mustang 200 ci. I have a 1970 head off a maverick grabber 200.
I heard that today’s gaskets are thicker than original. I want too gain the extra ccs

Would any milling be required, and if so how much.

Sincerely

Howdy ford 65:

the difference in cc between a stock steel shim head gasket at .025" and an aftermarket composite head gasket is about 5 ccs. Assuming your head and block are level no milling would be necessary.

You would lose about a half a point in compression. 8.5:1 to 8:1. Not good unless you are going blower.

More info about your situation would be helpful. good luck

Adios, David

Can you post a pic. of the chamber with the intake also in the pic. so we can see what you have...Alot can change in 50 years.

Hi, you need to "cc" the combustion chamber(s) to see if the head has been milled before.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook to learn how to do this and get the most out of your Ford Six.
Good luck

"...Handbook to learn how..."
most pick one up frm Matt @ vintage inlines dot com (?$25?). WHile waiting 4 delivery C the 'tech archive' by clicking on above big blue box.

"..I want too gain the extra ccs
Would any milling be required, and if so how much."
Where will U gain then?

Hey that 65 Mustang is a pretty awesome ride. There is a slight possibility the donor Maverick did not have the original head on it. Yep it happens occasionally. There is a casting code on the head that will identify what year it was made. Among tons of other additional info the Falcon Performance Handbook has the decoder for the casting numbers. What is your overall goal? We always enjoy hearing about that.

What I’m hoping to do is fit the 70; 200 head on my block too fix the air flow problem, Run smoother.

"...too fix the air flow problem..."
how will one B different than the other?

The ports flow better one the C8 and C9 heads. The closed chamber C3 head is restricted in port area, bur has a 52 cc chamber.The later heads come in at about 59 to 60 ccs. Once youve had it decked 40 thou and if you use a Victor Reinź composite gssket, you should gain more airflow with the 1.6 inch or grester log cross section from carb to valve.

The best option is the D8 head planed down, with a direct mount modification for a 2 bbl Holley or 1.33 Autolite.Stanyon and Crosley did an excellent write up with photos on each of theirs.

A US C8 is a small dog log...A DO or 70 is a larger port and larger log, 200 same as a 250 head with the larger 62 cc chamber.
Around 74 they down sized the port or runners to pick up velocity and help emissions.
Around 78 they put larger intake valves and around 81 went to a larger so called hex log.
But you could have a DO 170 head that is the same as a 70 200/250 head with the small, about 53 cc chamber.

:banghead: Not c8, but C9.

Head C9DE-6090-M, which is a 1969 200 or 250. That was where the dog log started to get bigger.

Yeah, that DO on 170's was for sure the start of the best small chambers (y)

Ford65":2jxc8gde said:
Hi, I have a 65 mustang 200 ci. I have a 1970 head off a maverick grabber 200.
I heard that today’s gaskets are thicker than original. I want too gain the extra ccs

Would any milling be required, and if so how much.

Sincerely

:unsure: To start the 1970 200 Maverick head for the most part is a direct swap or bolt on in place of your 1965 200 Mustang head. Yes you are going to be gaining an additional 10 CC's over your orginal 65 head and 5 CC's with a FelPro head gasket over the stock steel shim head gasket for a total of 15 CC's with no milling required. X2 As David "CZLN6" stated this will drop your current compression ratio significantly. Is there a reason that you wanted to gain the extra CC's i.e. Say like for a Turbo / supercharger install? If that's not your plan then yes a .070 mill cut might get you real close to what was your orginal 65 200 head 52 CC's and to match its stock 8.8 compression ratio. This works out to approximately a .010 mill cut for every 2 CC you will need to remove, so assuming the 70 Maverick 200 head still measures at the stock 62 CC's this is a .050 cut plus another .025 cut for the difference in thickness of the typical FelPro replacement head gasket for a total milling of .075.

Assuming the short block is still stock yet then the piston is .019 down the hole. Typically going to a higher compression ratio also equal more engine power however after all these years since the car was built we can't always assume that everything measures at the factory stock specs. That said and as severial others above have already recommend to you the very best way is to measure the CC's of the head (it's very easy) and do all the math so that you really know what you have, and then you can adjust to compensate getting it right were it needs to be. If you are wanting to maximize your power potential you should shoot for a compression ratio of 9.0 to 9.1 max for regular 87 fuel a little more for mid grade fuel or you can go up to 9.4 to 9.5 with premium fuel.

In addition a good three angle valve job (or a radius type Serdi) plus back cutting the intakes is worth some extra power at very little extra cost over a standard valve job, plus it's durable and long lasting. You could do some mild head porting to the the valve bowls and exhaust ports, this bowl blending and tapering of the valve guides is good for head flow too. Many machine shops can use a bowl hog to cut out the bowls during the valve job process at little extra cost. Many go with a bigger 1 3/4 inch intake valves and also a bigger 1 1/2 inch exhaust valves if your budget is tight you can skip this mod, but if you need to replace your valves anyway that might be worth doing for some extra power potential too. If you want to go a bit further consider adding the center exhaust port divider but be advised that it needs to be carefully fitted and for best results even spot welded in so it should be done first before a valve job or or any of the other machining / milling.

One other thing you should definitely do that is also a low cost do it yourself job is to open up the carb throttle bore hole in the log to at least a 1 3/4 inch opening (some go as much as 2 inches) and radius the bottom of the hole into the log too. This will give better flow and also give you the option of allowing you to install other bigger carburetors in the future if you wanted. Good luck (y) :nod:

If budget allows, you should look into getting the log set up for a direct mount 2bbl like this. I still gotta do the 1.5" exhaust valve upgrade and get it magnafluxed, but it'll be on shortly after i get it set up.

Attachments

• 20190514_204128.jpg
    20190514_204128.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
Bubba2349, I’m a little confused, your right on what I’m thinking, I want 9.1 compression. I will send a picture of the head and do the measurements and let you know what it is.

Thank you all

Back