Best Dizzy to get

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

I'm looking at maybe changing out my HEI for another better distributor for my 66 200. I want the best ignition for the engine, that's reasonably priced, sub $250.

Is the DSII (Duraapark II) really the best one for my engine?

This is a street engine, it will have a 2V E0 head, 1.5 exhaust, 1.5 adjustable rockers, (possibly 256/256 Schneider Cam unless I decide to turbo), possible turbo but only to 8psi max, dual out 2" headers if no turbo

Currently i have the original 66 head on it with a 2-1 for the weber 32/36. Otherwise it should be stock internally.

If i were to do all the above mentioned stuff, would i have to recurve the dizzy or could i buy it now and just swap the head later?

Thanks,
Ryan

i would say "Yes", the DS II.
use the blue strain relief ford box (it goes w/it), or the Hei 4 pin, a` la 'go fast 4 less':

http://www.gofastforless.com

(1/2 way dwn da page he shows the wiring, scout around the site 4 more).

MSD,
orange mopor module,
or
what U like. Double ck what coil.
:eek:
BTW: recurve is the cherry on top, 4, last step...

Howdy Star:

So long as it is a DS II or an HEI type, that has been recurved for your engine and supported with a good performance coil, you are good to go.

My choice has been and is the DS II for a number of reasons. #1 the DS II is stock appearing, from '75 on, if that matters to you. You also have the option of the first generation Dura Spark with a small cap, for more correct, '60s to early '70s stock appearance- if that matters to you. #2 the HEI look huge and out of place in a six cylinder engine bay. There have also been problems with oil to the HEI shaft. #3 the HEI is typically more expensive than a DS II. Avoid the cheap asian import HEI. DS II parts are more readily available.

Which ever way you go include a recurve to your engine. And let us know what you do and how it worked out for you.

Adios, David

I'll second the above comments. I've been using a DS1 distributor triggering a GM HEI module for years now, with zero issues.

As important as the type of distributor is getting the ignition timing curve set up properly - that's huge.

jamyers":1kj68bt6 said:
I'll second the above comments. I've been using a DS1 distributor triggering a GM HEI module for years now, with zero issues.

As important as the type of distributor is getting the ignition timing curve set up properly - that's huge.
As long as i recurved it you are good to go.
If not i have DS1-DS11 units for sale in the small six for sale section of this forum. billythedistributorman@live.com
I can also recurve yours also. Bill

I went from stock to a DS2 curved from Bill (WSA11). I'm super happy.

So, the coil control box thingy that I have, I think I'm stuck with. With the DS11 I can use a MSD box which is a good box. Is there any benefit to having the MSD box over mine? Or do i not know what I'm talking about and all I need is a recurve?

MSD Makes a harness which will connect the MSD-6al box via a MSD 8869 harness to the DS11 distributor.
Also get the MSD Blaster coil which has low primary resistance.
Get coil wound spark plug wires for the 78 Ford Fairmount with the 200 & they fit perfectly.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=80184

how many components in an ign system?
"...know what I'm talking about ..."

(U could name a coupla more but they may B in 'charging' syst. too)
U have a 'primary' and 'secondary' side
U R interested in:

coil, dizzy, module. They must match.
That's a brief description. If like me (performance/durability/easy access/low cost) do not use an MSD (module).
HTH~

Chad, with a properly curved distributor, the MSD-6al box with a low primary resistance coil & coil wound plug wires is the best of the best.
They run on a 12V input along with the DUI or a GM module.
Any system that runs on 8 volts is antiquated.
The Ford DS11 module is very reliable. But technology prevails.
You want top performance, you will have to get your wallet out.

thnx Bill.
I will defiantly visit the Distributor Man some day, still wrkin on preliminaries.
:nod:

Back