New Engine

Georgia200

Surfing CL I found a rebuilt 250 shortblock, zero miles, the price was right so I brought it home. The PO went with a V8 instead.

It has 6.5cc pistons 030 over, stock cam, early timing chain.

I have two C9 heads that are in good shape, never been decked.

Its going in my 67 with a C4 and 2.80 rear end.

This will be a winter project, Im in the middle of a PS install on my 65 and its slow going.

Im going to disassemble the shortblock, check the bearings, rings and reassemble.

I want to start collecting parts, but first I need to decide what my goal is. Easiest is to put together a stock engine and be happy with the 50 extra cubes. Next up is tri-power, although I dont know if it will fit under the hood. I have a couple good 2100s, that would be choice 3, and last, turbo or SC. I know zero about forced induction, so I would need a reference book and a lot of assistance to go that route.

My current thoughts are a better cam, flat tops, 2V conversion and a single 2 1/4 exhaust.

I dont want to go overboard on cost, so used parts to the front of the line. In the end I will probably keep the 65 and sell the 67 or trade it for an F100, or gift it to my SIL. The misses likes the 65 and I dont really have room for both, Im paying $90 a month to store the 67.

on the quick once over: I like the cam upgrade (U will B inthere to ck the truth of the seller anyway), suggest a direct mount of that 2v if U can. don't know Y the effort/expense of new pistons, but read pretty quickly. early timing sets R good, so is C9 head (Y the 'direct mount suggestion)
Will hafta go back, reread for more (detail, and to offer U anything). Do not "deck a head" (or a 250 block) if U can avoid those.

For about 180 or less you can use the 2.5L hsc rod that are longer and fix the 250 short rod problem and keep your piston... Do the math to see if it will work for you.

george _ its a tempo or touris '86 thru '91 4 cyl engine.
there's plwnty aftr mrkt for them, we use'em all the time here
Do U have "the Handbook", or visited the above tech archive?

Did some measuring today.

Pistons are .113 down in the hole. With a 6.5cc dish, 53cc head, that gives me right at 9:1 compression.

Im guessing the builder did his math.

Back