exhaust

Georgia200

Does anyone make a long tube header for a 250 anymore?

Anyone hog out a oem manifold to 2.25in? If so, how did it perform?

Im planning on a 2.25in single exhaust going into a transverse muffler and dual 2in outlets that exit in the stock location.

Ive always liked the muffler tucked up out of the way.

There are a couple muffler choices, mid-80s Camaros were plumbed that way.

those VI's might B known as shorties or at best middies by some of us.
No hooker, no longer makes them.
The used R closely held, 1 set just went past me here on our "4Sale" forum.
We can get U the prt number for flebay search or other ("66xx" something er da odder).

Not sure bout the other Q.
"...Anyone hog out a oem manifold to 2.25in? If so, how did it perform?..."
Many threads here on improvement to the i6 'in breath'. (Logautomy/logextomy).
A Miller's 6 bike carbs R my fav.

howdy Georgia 200:

No, it is not possible to open a stock exhaust manifold past 2" and still maintain the stock type firewall seal between the manifold and the head pipe.

Another option is to use a late style manifold that attaches a catalytic converter. IT would have to be modified to fit a 2.5" head pipe. I seem to recall someone doing a similar mod to mount dual exhaust.

I bought a long tube single outlet header from Clifford Performance about 15 years ago to go on my 250 in a '65 Ranchero. I don't know if they stock them anymore. I suggest that you try our host first.

Adios, David

alBdarned, looks like they have it but only as a kit w/a carb ("ford 200 6=8").
Haveta keep checkin in w/good ol Clif even w/their changes in personnel.

Holley took over Hooker 1/2 doz yrs ago? After the clifford surprise (above kit) I thought
I'd go there. A 30 page check did not cover all their exh. 'header' models so I plugged in
'69 mustang (no filter for an i6, most options were 4 a bent8) and even that gave a 'no models' response.
I'm thinkin they do have some thing for the 289/302/351. However, I did not pursue.

CZLN6":2n444ktc said:
howdy Georgia 200:

No, it is not possible to open a stock exhaust manifold past 2" and still maintain the stock type firewall seal between the manifold and the head pipe.

Another option is to use a late style manifold that attaches a catalytic converter. IT would have to be modified to fit a 2.5" head pipe. I seem to recall someone doing a similar mod to mount dual exhaust.

I bought a long tube single outlet header from Clifford Performance about 15 years ago to go on my 250 in a '65 Ranchero. I don't know if they stock them anymore. I suggest that you try our host first.

Adios, David

"Georgia200" I believe that it was Xtascy that did this mod on the late 200 (1980 up to end of production) exhaust manifold. By modding a gutted cat and a little welding the 4 1/4 inch outlet can easily be converted into a duel 2 1/4 inch outlet or larger 2 1/2 (to a 3 inch or more single outlet for a Turbo) exhaust manifold, see below links for pictures. These manifolds are also much better flowing then any of the previous 144, 170, 200, or 250 log exhaust manifolds. Good luck on your 250 swap (y) :nod:

Xtascy's pictures of a the Late 200 "Football" exhaust manifolds, sorry couldn't find his picture showing the duel exhaust mod to the gutted cat shell.
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... t200-1.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75870&p=586537&hilit=1980+200+exhaust+manifold#p584144

I have a 2in 250 log, I was under the impression that could be opened to 2.25in.

I really dont like the dual outlet header on a six.

I would like a 2.25 single that goes into a transverse muffler and dual 2in outlets under the valance.

Mid-80s Camaros had the single in / dual out muffler.

obviously U can put any muf U want on it.
U mention both log & exhaust. I'm not sure what U R looking for. May B some detail could help.
A direct mount 2v carb, redoing the oe exh. manifold at the connection w/down pipe?
It is a ford, can't make it a chebby.
Sorry, just kinda 'thick' myself...
:oops:

Back