Vintage inlines header fitment in 1961 chero and exhaust questions

Dragonlich1961

Been looking at possibly adding a header to my 61. It's a 200 with comp cam 260h, Weber 32/36 and 78 head with a bill recurved (wsa111) ds2 dizzy. Right around 9-9.2 compression. Backed by a V8 t5 and 3.73 8.8 axle.
Engine is being test fit this week to fabricate trans crossmember and clerence bellhousing to firewall due to large 9 inch bell.
I know the early falcons always have fitment issues due to being the smallest engine Ford produced, and. Never being intended for a V8.
Things to keep in mind, v8 steering, ac from vintage air (bracket is similar in style to one pictured in classic inlines archieve), unwilling to beat on sheet metal to fit if visable and not hanging low.
And recommended pipe size, I was thinking 2.25. I want single exhaust not duals
I will be installing global west subframe connectors, and these will be adapted for use as the trans cross member mount point due to me have a 1960 style chassis, no welded crossmember to floor with drop out section.
I want the sound level to be quiet but not catilac quiet. Some noise but not exsesive.

did U ask Matt at pre-purchase time? He is open to that (has suggestions to offer).
There is a contact button or address on the VI site.
I'd try there as that is his product.

I bought mine as CI closed dwn (last one). I understand its a lill different than the VI. I think I C info in
the Handbook that shows 'no big deal' to "...early falcons always have fitment issues..." Matt hasa copy of that 4 ya if U wish to confer. Not sure if anything's in above tech archive (ck at the blue box, crossed screwdriver/wrench).

Ur 2nd Q - not sure as i did not spot one clearly stated. Post ina nother thread? as its another issue, can get full attention? Matt has extensive exh experience (esp classics) prior to VI so he might B the 1 as well...

Been looking at possibly adding a header to my 61. It's a 200 with comp cam 260h, Weber 32/36 and 78 head with a bill recurved (wsa111) ds2 dizzy. Right around 9-9.2 compression. Backed by a V8 t5 and 3.73 8.8 axle. Engine is being test fit this week to fabricate trans crossmember and clerence bellhousing to firewall due to large 9 inch bell.
I know the early falcons always have fitment issues due to being the smallest engine Ford produced, and. Never being intended for a V8.
Things to keep in mind, v8 steering, ac from vintage air (bracket is similar in style to one pictured in classic inlines archieve), unwilling to beat on sheet metal to fit if visable and not hanging low.
And recommended pipe size, I was thinking 2.25. I want single exhaust not duals
I will be installing global west subframe connectors, and these will be adapted for use as the trans cross member mount point due to me have a 1960 style chassis, no welded crossmember to floor with drop out section.
I want the sound level to be quiet but not catilac quiet. Some noise but not exsesive.

Sounds like an intergrated upgrade to your '61. My '61 Comet has a number of similar mods you plan. The 61 Comet has some early build features but not the early odd tranny crossmember.

'Clearanced' firewall to clear and access top bellhouse fasteners. Easily BFH in unseen area, firewall tin is formed inward so not stressed.

200 headers should fit center link and right idler arm with V8 (64/65?) components, early six steering idler/center link may interfere with some headers ( 250's !). The rub may be the header pipes depending on final engine placement. I had to form one header tube to clear idler arm at full right turn, another at the shock tower and add limit to steering stop.

Used fabricated frame connectors for tranny/rear mount crossmember. Crossmember is modified/adapted Falcon 'C4 Conversion" mount widely availble.

My '61 has a 250 with Hooker 6602 Dual out headers but uses V8 bellhouse similar size as 200 Toploader and T5 bell.

'interesting rear gear choice, I use Maverick 8" with 3.80 posi' and T5-Z for 61's gears and OEM 3.50 rear axle on the '63/170 which uses an early 'non-world class' '84 Mustang GT tranny (@15 yrs now).

I use a similar Frame Conn', Crossmbr/T5 and exh. setup with dual out Hooker 6601 headers on the '63 170 / T5 4Dr wagon. For absolute cruise quiet, the 63 uses an OEM six muffler on each dual out leg. 61' 250 uses 2" pipes with dual outs ahead of rear wheels, with the Hookers and "Smithy" mufflers there is no discernible drone at any speed/RPM and they are low freq', not raspy when punched.

pics too we hope...

have fun

I have not purchased yet but have sent Matt an email.
Finding an 8 inch was harder so I'm using a Ford 8.8 out of 94 explorer with drivers tube shorted to accept a passenger shaft. Drum brake model but it's what I wanted as the OEM disc required 15s. I am using 14s.
My 61 is built in early 61 and is based on the 60 chassis, I can't use the avaible c4. Conversion mounts because I do not have that structure in my vehicle. Never installed. Early 60 body only Ford changed mid 61.
I do have the hand book.
T5 is a 94 mustang v8 unit with 93 input shaft swapped in.
Exhaust will be fabbed in house and all stainless so if the down pipes don't fit I can fix those. I know that I'm going to have to modify the alt bracket to clear header I just don't want to bash header or shock tower.

"...modify the alt bracket to clear header I just don't want to bash header or..."
not sure ur going on pass top side but threads here have shown
minor shim and flap wheel clearence for alt (&/or ac compressor, I think).

Back