Vacuum Line Help

Matthew68

I’m finishing assembly on a newly machined 200 block along with my vintage Inlines head and intake with a C4 trans. I’ll be running an Autolite 2100 with a DSII recurved by Bill.

I have a vacuum port on the carb, on the vac advance on the distributor, the PCV valve, the trans, and a port on the intake runners for 4,5,6.

What’s the recommended hookup for these lines? There is no vac port under the carb, only what’s listed.

I have upgraded mu carb setup with a Weber 32/36, for which I removed the stock carb spacer. Therefore My Vac setup all changed, so I had to learn what I can put where. Here's what came stock for me:

Distributor Vac to Carb Port vac
PCV to Carb spacer (manifold vac)
Tranny (if auto) to Manifold Vac

I ended up with:
Distributor to Carb ported vac
Tranny T to Vacuum gauge to Manifold
PCV T to manifold (shared with tranny)

I am not really liking the PCV sharing a line with the tranny and gauge. So I'll be looking in the future to put it back alone so it's "leak" has less affect on my tuning.

Does that help? Keep askin if u got more q's

don't 4get doc, the weber is a lill different. I'm unfamiliar.
Also don't know the alu head ('s Y I haven't responded).

I'd assume w/the alu there is one hole, fitting, nipple on that flat, outside surface (the 3 or 4 inch edge) under the carb, passenger's side, vertical face. I C bosses to drill out for the efi injectors (at least that's what I'd use'em 4).

Have U corresponded w/the sales person? Matt's the expert ! I all ways ask the distributor/sales staff/tech reps where I buy stuff...

Fair enough Chad, Alu head is quite different!
But from the sounds of it, this guy's not sure what goes where. So I was hoping a stock overview would help, then i threw in my experience for reference.

yup
and
"...I have upgraded mu carb setup with a Weber 32/36..." that
carb operates different than most we use.
and
this is a motorcraft 2V
w/C4 I think, different.

Matthew68":3fq9bm4f said:
I’m finishing assembly on a newly machined 200 block along with my vintage Inlines head and intake with a C4 trans. I’ll be running an Autolite 2100 with a DSII recurved by Bill.

I have a vacuum port on the carb, on the vac advance on the distributor, the PCV valve, the trans, and a port on the intake runners for 4,5,6.

What’s the recommended hookup for these lines? There is no vac port under the carb, only what’s listed.

On your Autolite 2100 the 3/8 inch hose nipple at the base of the carb (that's ported below the throttle blades) is the correct hook up for the 3/8 inch hose going into top of the PCV, and with that valve installed into a valve cover that's baffled, most mid 1960's and up factory valve covers are. You will also need an oil cap / breather at the opposite end of valve cover from were the PCV is installed. There are two types of oil cap / breathers that can be used, one is for an open system and the other is for a closed system with a hose going into the base of the air cleaner this what was used on the factory PCV systems.

Yes you are correct that the other smaller house nipple on the Autolite 2100 is correct for the ported vaccum advance line to the vacuum advavce canister on the DSII. Lastly the C4's vacuum modulator line comes forward and conects into the port on the side of the intake manifold. If you have any other items needing a vacuum hook up like a power brake booster, and or a auxiliary vacuum gauge, ect. these would also hook up to the intake manafold. Good luck on your 200 assembly. (y) :nod:

Follow Bills old 2-BBL 500 cfm carb set up. The position of the manfiold take off on the 1980-1983 log head he uses are simply switched from 1-2-3 to 4-5-6 on the 2V intake manifold. It was set up that way by Bill Santuccione (and others) in 1969 when doing the development work in the Ford Prototype Engine Test Laboratories in Geelong for the XY Falcons Ford M code 250 head that came out in 1971.

https://www.fordgtholot6.com/bill-santuch

The solution to good vacuum line arrangements is from Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band. Knowing what to leave in, what to leave out, So your not Runnin' Against the Wind.

PCV was stock as a requirement from the 1965 US clean Air Act. They aren't well described.

The early system from 1968 to 1972 kept the stock vented filler cap.

For 1973, the normal Cleveland style screw on oil filler cap went on the front for two years,

then when to the back of the rocker cover for the 1976 era cars...it was too tall to fit under the 1978 -1983 Foxes, so it was shifted from forward to aft, and the one, 2 or 3 peg PCV was fitted in the front.

A really good way of keeping the early open filler cap is the by running the 3.8 Essex V6 filler T cap found on EFi 3.8's.1984-1986.

Closed_PCV_System_231v6_002.jpg

The rocker cover got a baffle to stop oiling up the PCV system.

The vacuum tree for all non log head cross flows and the ealy non cross flow 2v head which Mike W coped to make the Classic Inlines head is the same as the 3.3/4.1 liter 1-bbl 1976-1982 Ford iron and alloy head Cross flow air cleaner engines used in Aussie Ford Transits, F100's, Falcons Cortinas, Fairmont, some later Fairlanes.

The IMCO system was universal and dead simple.

EGR wasn't used on the F100'S and Transit Vans, those engines were de-emissioned New Zealand specfication with an EGR block-off

1977-ford-falcon-xc-utility.jpg

1977-ford-falcon-xc-utility.jpg

The switch from spark to manifold ported vaccum for ignition is tied up to the carbs vaccum fittings, and Vacuum Diverter valves and devices with other names govern all that stuff. The IATC (Inlet Air Temperature Control) is controlled by a little one way valve which stops the heat flap staying shut under wide open throttle. That is important.

Since everything is so inter-related, a quick "squiz" into the SWOT analysis of the three Ford systems follows:-

The other Pollution systems are via three Ford Ways.

The No 1. IMCO way, the 1968 to 1977 era Ford Emissions hookups, which moved away from 2100 Autolites to 2150 Motorcrafts, and got increasingly bogged down with extra stuff. Autolite new ignition systems with proper vacuum advance that eventually became the Electronic Duraspark I, II, or even III.

With that, there was an added on system additional to it, the The Air pump emissions engines. These were the

No 2. the Thermactor Engines, the California spec 1969 Boss 302's, all the California and High Altitude Colorado spec engines.

Then the third wave, No 3 the Catalyzed US unleaded 1975 on wards engines that for US 1980 Federal Emissions, went a step further, with bowl vent carb engines with considerable extra carb systems. Or even like the Chev Vega Cosworth or the Caddy Seville's or Lincolns...Throttle Body EFi parts, which made the emissions parts intensely integrated.

The Port Injection era resulted in removal of a heck of a lot of other emissions junk, especially US EFi engines. But the key parts,

the heat stove Thermatic stoves, and Load Control valves
the PCV,
the one, two and three peg trees to the thermostat or the manifold vacuum, and
the four kinds of Ported, Manifold, Spark or EGR porting vaccum sources make your life a living hell, especially if a Bowl Vent solenoid is present.

IMCO spec Autolites 1100, 1101, 2100 and the later Motorcraft 2150's have various other bits to them, and rather than run from the extra systems, check the condition of the parts, and use them if they aren't rusted out or broken.

You need the Jahearne or Frankenstang's D5DF-9600-A 1975 style YFA Carter Air cleaner with a heat stove

cid_5E4B06F8F9674A2DB3F3D4B8AA6228F9Seven.png

yf-yfa%20preheater%20010.jpg

Ford had planned to use the 170 cubic inch 2.8 liter Mustang/Capri/Pinto/Ranger air cleaner on the 1978 Fox Fairmont and Zephyr, in fact, the 2V engine was reported as fact for the plice spec cars. However, the 2-bbl 2305 Holley or VV2700 carb was not sanctioned for the planned M code 200 engine, but the 1974-1983 air cleaner to this day still carries a dual DADA-9600-A 200/2.8 part number, and fits the 2150 Motorcraft 2-BBL, 5200 2-bbl or VV2700 Variable Venturi carb with a special offset part.

It has the PCV and TVS switch to control the opening of the heated exhaust stove.

The other 12 devices you might find for 1968 to 1973's are the same as used on 1976 to 1985 Fords, as they copied US 1973 Leaded fuel emission laws but with higher compression ratios for 97 octane leaded gas:-

The Cortina had the Pinto 2000 engine as a base engine, with the 3.3 and 4.1 liter Cross flows as the top dog option, much like the later Fox Mustang. 2.3/2.8/3.3/4.2 then 5.0 for yours.

Items 1 to 12 include some useless Automatic and Manual Pinto 2000 stuff that never really worked well, but a good Pinto engine could make a lot of power while sucking a lot of gas, and the fuel consumption wasn't from the emissions gear.

99 IATC (Inlet Air Temperature Control)--->Not Needed, but I 'd personally use it
100 3 port Vac Switch for Spark to Manifold vacuum--->Not Needed, but I 'd personally use it
102 2 Port PVS & Dual Vac Distributor--->Not Needed
103 Spark to Manifold Vac Port Switchover detail--->Not Needed, but I 'd personally use it
105 Vaccum Delay Valve--->Not Needed, but I 'd personally use it
106 Air Cleaner Intake Vac Controls--->Not Needed, but I 'd personally use it
107 EGR--->Not Needed, but I 'd personally use it
108 IMCO Spec Carb--->Not Needed, but I 'd personally use it
109 Solenoid Throttle Positioner--->Not Needed, but I 'd personally use it
110 Evaporative Emission System--->Not Needed

The Single or Two peg PCV works nice on a EAO Pinto 2300 engine, or 200/250.

attachment.php

attachment.php

MOTORCRAFT%20EV68C.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-EV68C ... B000C5FJG8

won't be running a clodsed air cleaner any time soon, that can work.

It's kind of backwards, and you MUST run a plate under the oil filler, but the two peg Motorcraft EV68C PCV Valve valve is a stock compenent for some 5.0 4V Mustangs, and all the bigger v8 Trucks.

Essentially, the way it was done on the Aussie Cross Flow 250 was to use the rocker cover as the whole PCV system, which is what all the 200/250 I6 and Small and Big block Ford V8 US engines did.

How you do it exactly, well, that's up to you.

For me, I'd always run a closed air cleaner element, unless its Propane.

Which I have done as well.

XE250XFLOWWITHIMPCOCA3001OF2.jpg
XE250XFLOWWITHIMPCOCA3002OF2.jpg

Generally, the US emission era

Ford 2.8 liter N code,
3.3 liter T/B/X and
4.1 liter L and C code rockers have all that good gear on them...

Ford did a lot of GREAT work to stop oil getting into there carbs,

but they used the log heads adapter plate to tee into the area below the carb.

The 1946C Holley and 4180C Holley and the 2150 Motorcraft from 1980 on even had Fords patented Holley vacuum purge bowel vent system.

What is a problem is the swing from Spark, to Manifold, to EGR vaccum, and the crazy complicated manner in which everything "interplayed" between all three.

These bits work great If you can use them on the water filler neck/.

1GreenDVCV2BlueTCVV3BlackSDV.jpg

Find it from any old 1980 IIRC,

C code 250/4.1 liter .

B code 1980-1982 3.3 liter

X code 1983 3.3 liter

Pinto 2000 engines had them too.

attachment.php

By 1980 to 1983, Ford had gotten the Log head 3.3 and 4.1 's to work with an auxhilary water line with the valves on it.

IMG_8860.jpg

The two peg PCV is for EGR cars, so blow by is ingested into the engine at just the right rate. Having an air cleaner lock up its intake flaps while your 4180C equiped 4V 5.8 220 hp F150 truck tries to suck open the two stage power valves while hauling a55 at 4000 rpm isn't what Ford wanted, so they did a heck of lot of work on making all that emissions stuff work well. There were, get this, 100 systems on the 1985 M code 4V 210 HP Mustang and Capri 5 speeds just to get them to pass emissions, and they were more powerful and more economical than the 1986 Port EFi 5.0's, and needed less emissions gear on the exhaust. EFi eliminated heaps of the complicated stage stuff.

A Wagner Adjustable PCV valve is a good first step if you get stuck.

IMG_8878pcvvalvebaffleAdjustablerockerdings.jpg

https://youtu.be/nd92jPRH3YY?t=123

Wagner_Adjustable_PCV_valve.jpg

Simple, clean advice is also better than spending money.

wsa111":1zz09x6s said:
All the major parts stores carry them.
HOWEVER you will suck oil into the PCV valve. One choice is move the valve via an 2" hose to raise the hose above the valve cover.
PCV-Carb002.jpg

The C.I. valve cover is just a copy of Cliffords cast valve cover, a good looking piece of junk.
From an engineering design the cover should be 1/4" higher to clear a decent baffle over the PCV valve just like the factory stamped steel cover.
You can use double valve cover gaskets to raise the cover.
You can then install a sheet metal baffle to the top of the cover. The 4 bosses are cast into the cover, but need to be drilled & tapped to fasten an OEM style baffle.
That's why they pay factory engineers to do the design correctly, rather than a parts copier of a poorly designed product.

wsa111":1zz09x6s said:
I sold the CI cast valve cover, now i have the powered by ford embossed on it.
It has the baffles under the PCV & the oil fill pipe.
DSC_0946_zpssp60zwxs.jpg

The cast valve cover is just a good looking piece of junk. No baffles & not enough clearance for the arm adjuster.

geesh, I usta think those kids who just ran a hand over all those colored tiny vac lines, rippin them all out - were pretty stupid.
Now I'm not so sure...
The '80s & 90s I hada pretty nice income and did not mess w/my cars - paid others so did not follow the technology. Next came a return to 'need to now' (the crash in '08 AND retirement). The 3rd wave wuz here - all the sensors'n puters. I'm still in the 60s'n 70s so appreciate the depth of ur info Dean...

:unsure: I don`t know for sure on the small 6`s,but there is a threaded hole on the intake manifold of the big 6 that a vacuum manifold screws into.It will give anywhere from 5 to 8 hookup points for vacuum lines.If all are not needed,just cap them off.One of those hookup points is for the brake booster if you have one.Get one at Pick-a-Part or your local parts supplier.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

hey Leo !
That's kouwell.

"...a threaded hole on the intake manifold of the big 6 that a vacuum manifold screws into..."
know which yrs oem - for others sourcin (I can drill/tapa hole) the fitting?

woodbutcher":adjnlzep said:
:unsure: I don`t know for sure on the small 6`s,but there is a threaded hole on the intake manifold of the big 6 that a vacuum manifold screws into.It will give anywhere from 5 to 8 hookup points for vacuum lines.If all are not needed,just cap them off.One of those hookup points is for the brake booster if you have one.Get one at Pick-a-Part or your local parts supplier.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Air Cleaner?

D7ZE9D626BA-2.8 200 3HD

In the back ground still within the Red Box is the same vacuum port part the 300 big Six used under the carb,

but on the 200 small six it is in the 1-2-3 branch of the log (with a Big Six 4.9 YFA Carb)

TreeforH20_1980-1983_200_250.jpg

somea doz pic in post 7 (even the OZ motors) and the diagram in the 3rd shop man. pic (Inlet air temp control) R great to have.
I'm actually gunna pull the prt number U gave us X
D7ZE9D626BA-2.8 200 3HD
to C what's around. I seek a closed system w/the RBS carb (different airhorn flange), 250 usin a stang '69 PCV & baffeled VC...
Concerned abt fit w/a 250 & bronk hood but is worth some research...

EDIT:
1st up - a german v6 prt (sold on 1/2/18,
56,00 euros on fleeBay) Looks 2 have an offset mount hole:

https://picclick.de/Ford-Mustang-1979-2 ... 59825.html

Unless you are unfortunate enough to live in a state with sniffer tests on even vehicles made before 1980 you are stuck with the controls for that year model.
Most states on the older vehicles do not require all this BS.
If they don't require it all you need is basic vacuum hookup to the pcv & vacuum advance. Do not hook up vacuum to a dual vacuum advance at the retard nipple.

woodbutcher":ad0tuo2p said:
:D...There`s one on my 84 F150...
Leo
"...a threaded hole on the intake manifold of the big 6 that a vacuum manifold screws into..."
know which yrs oem - for others sourcin (I can drill/tapa hole) the fitting?

OK, that helps: a 'multi-tap' for vac lines (manafold vac). (C the 1s w/"early sensors" in X's pic above).
:idea:

IMG_8571.jpg

Once again with feeling... :idea:

wsa111's early Weber 38DGES in the Naughtees was a C8 head, so I was wrong, but you can see the difference.

k12%2038%20weber%202bbl%20rod%20operated%20accelerator.jpg

The vacuum take off is under the log.

You can use any kind of adaptor part.

Like I did when I put the 1963 C3 170 head casting on my 1981 E0 headed 3.3 Mustang.

Manifold Vac Take-off

ManifoldVacTakeoff_002.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7146.jpg

I've seen the holes every where ina log now (Ryan's is in the "Bill's chipped paint area"). One
thing that helps me think I can drill/tap my own.

Back