Carb linkage pics needed

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hi everybody,
Inspired by xtasy picture in the other thread that shows a very nice linkage, I'm looking for more. that setup looks great, do you have a picture of how the throttle lever links up, next to the firewall?

I've been working on this Weber throttle linkage hook up now for over a month and a half and I still can't get the darn thing right. I've made so far about 4 linkages, one works about 85% of wot but I can't get this darn thing to work good. looks like I kind of suck at being a mechanical engineer.

if anybody has pictures of the throttle linkages of a Weber please, please, please show them here? I finally broke down and bought a Jeep linkage that I'm hoping will work (http://www.carburetion.com/Products/Pro ... =99007.551).

But at this point, any help is highly appreciated.

So here's where i sit today. I got a couple heim joints to see if I can get this to work. So far, no.

Failed attempt 4:
90degree fail-small.jpg

The top is my current working ~90% WOT solution. Slight bind on first 5% throttle. Bottom is failed design #3.
linkage bars-small.jpg

Well, at least I learned how to thread a rod (y)

Having the throdle Rod go up so high in your top picture is shortening your pull i.e. You have to move the throdle/ gas pedal much farther to get the carb to open all the way. Also with that long of a 90 dregree bend there is going to be lots of flexing it would need some triangulation to stop the flex. The throdle arm pulling position on the Weber seams a bit Low this could make the linkage pulling ratio off (i.e. it's almost as Low in height as the throdle shaft centerline) making it harder for the linkage to open the throdle all the way too this could be raised some to fix that. You could also rasie the gas pedal arm pivot up an inch or two higher to get a better pulling angle to the carb's throdle arm, keeping the linage rod straighter. Or it Might be lots easier to go with a cable type linkage. Good luck. (y) :nod:

'One last time' (w/da rod link. if U wanna - )
the heims look good, so duz the 'gold' (brass?) rod link.
Get the PVC hose outta da way (tie to AC housing or something else).
If U need it (not a straight shot frm peddle link to carb link - log is in da way) get a stand off at the carb link.
You'll C that on the web for these.
Sorry (subject line above) I don't have any...
Tap X's shoulder (he'n powerband have huge pic archives)...
:eek:

Here's mine back from when I used to run a Weber. It's a bit Frankenstein looking, but it worked pretty well... I had a local speed shop make it for me. A bellcrank attached to the rear carb bolt and then that made a fairly straight pull with the rod to the stock linkage.

I've since changed over to an Autolite carb and went with a throttle cable, and I like how the cable feels much better though.

DSC-1166-1.jpg

kerb12":1hg2pno1 said:
Here's mine back from when I used to run a Weber. It's a bit Frankenstein looking, but it worked pretty well... I had a local speed shop make it for me. A bellcrank attached to the rear carb bolt and then that made a fairly straight pull with the rod to the stock linkage.

I've since changed over to an Autolite carb and went with a throttle cable, and I like how the cable feels much better though.

DSC-1166-1.jpg

Just like Bills....Kinda....

k12%2038%20weber%202bbl%20rod%20operated%20accelerator.jpg

xctasy, that's actually mine. I must have posted it in another thread a while back.

That setup ran pretty well, I just eventually decided to do the 2v direct mount conversion and when I switched to the Autolite carb it had to pull towards the valve cover instead so I stopped using the hard linkage.

DoctorC, if you want I can dig around my garage and see if I still have it.

Oops..Sorry. KC12 kit for Kerb12. Sorry to Wsa111 as well. (y)

The 32/36 actuates the other throttle first, so you have some options to consider depending on what kind of Weber based variant you plan to use.

Thanks all for the ideas and pics. That pic of KC12's linkage is very nice. I'm curious tho how it's linked up at the pedal lever. My pedal goes from about 50° to about 90° in its sweep to WOT, in a lifting backward motion. This linkage shown must have a different motion, because a backward lifting motion would pivot on the 2 ball linkage ends? Or am I missing something?

xctasy":33v76e75 said:

This looks like the lever motion is up and down, which would require a separate (here hidden) lever and pivot point.
The things should be simple (pull here, push there), but they're so dam confusing!

kerb12":33v76e75 said:
DoctorC, if you want I can dig around my garage and see if I still have it.
Let's see how the bell crank I ordered works out. If it's a flop, I might just ask you to do that! Thanks for the offer!
-DrC

"...ask you..."
or go cable.
OEM (junk yrd, etc)
or
that hi priced Lokcar
( I think I can C a mechanic's brain growin in there)...
:nod:

Ah ok our pedal linkages are different then. What's in that pic is from a '66 Mustang, and the metal piece coming out horizontally at the bottom is part of the stock part, it's an up and down motion. The rod connecting to the bottom of the bellcrank is the start of the custom parts.

Weel, I've already ordered a Redline Bell Crank off carbs unlimited that should do the trick. Due in by EOW. It's for a Jeep with a weber. 551 is the reference: http://www.carburetion.com/Products/Pro ... =99007.551

Then today I came across this little beauty: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway ... 36221.html
It's the same one used in the above pretty pictures of Kerb12's hookup. And it's universal. For future reference, when that link breaks, search speedway motors for: Speedway Universal Throttle Linkage Bell Crank Kit.
20 bucks and bob's your uncle.
-DrC

So I've installed the linkage kit for the Jeep and WOW I love it. I get a nice smooth movement and (finally!!) full throttle!! *happy dance*
I've been trying to post pics but i keep getting an error.

Hey Dr. C,

I would really like to see pictures of your setup as I purchased the same linkage adaptor and have had not luck getting anything even close to WOT. No happy dances here, yet.

Cheers,

Chris

I still cant seem to post, lets see if I can use a link from my site:

linkage1.jpg

linkage2.jpg

A few things I'll note:
- The studs that came with the kit from VI are getting too short. I was barely able to bolt on the retention plate for the bell crank.
- The movement works better if you bolt on the engine side of the bell crank, not fender side as intended
- I did not use the long linkage rod supplied because I already had a rod made
- The return spring needs some trial and error. I have a long one hooked up to the battery shelf, YMMV
- The Heim joints I'm using are 1/4" 28 (8 bucks each) off amazon but if I'd do it again, I'd use the ones that came with the linkage and just thread the brass rod that was part of my original linkage (my 90% solution is that rod) bent and cut to work nicely. I didn't do this because I needed the backup solution in case this didn't work, like the rest didn't work. She's my only car!

Thanks Dr. C.!

I had tried many, many orientations of this linkage adaptor but not this one and you were bang on the money. Now ol' Maggie really moves!

Cheers,

CC

Back