OEM/OER 200/250 Forged Pistons ?

powerband

2K+
VIP
I thought only source for Forged pistons were Custom made for the 200/250 (3.68 bore) , did not know TRW made Forged pistons for the 200/250. Recently two sets showed up on E-Bay. They are TRW-L2217F (30).

Any info appreciated : TRW still making them and are they usable for Hi Po or forced induction? , were they OEM - original equipment replacement for some Ford application ? ...

thanks

s-l1600.jpg

Initally, Jahns made custom forged pistons, then went bust. TRW made forged 2618 alloy pistons to order off the Hot Rod Magazines back page. When sufficient numbers were present, TRW would make them for the American and Australia market. Like the 305 Chev and 229 V6 forged pistons, they were listed but essentially built to order.Ross pistons took over the design...no real sales, no constant listing in the TRW catalogue. Ford Australia copied solid skirt hi silcon cast alloy German Mahle via Repco Australia, called Duralite. That deep sixed TRWs forged pistons, so they didnt resurface.

powerband":3pcpt16t said:
I thought only source for Forged pistons were Custom made for the 200/250 (3.68 bore) , did not know TRW made Forged pistons for the 200/250. Recently two sets showed up on E-Bay. They are TRW-L2217F (30).
Any info appreciated : TRW still making them and are they usable for Hi Po or forced induction? , were they OEM - original equipment replacement for some Ford application ? ...
thanks
NOS some 1 had around awhile? Made...
now NOT made ?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ak Miller told me not to run more than 8 to 12 lbs of boost on those pistons , mainly because of the large slot in the oil groove verses the forged one with drilled holes.

"Ak Miller told me not to run more than 8 to 12 lbs of boost on those pistons , mainly because of the large slot in the oil groove verses the forged one with drilled holes."

Interesting,

I did notice the wide oil ring slot'. I was wondering if Ford used Forged pistons in any industrial or other application small block sixes. Many of the airport "tugs" used Ford sixes as well as snow trackers, generators, pumps and other unique applications like the 'wind machines' used in many orchards here in Huson Valley.

The basically stock 250 in my '74 Maverick ran great with a draw-thru Buick derived turbo setup. Monitored safe AFR's and conservative timing kept it together until boost approached @ 15 lbs, then an oily mist across windshield . Number six piston LAND broke off between top and second ring.
Currently run the Maverick 250 with a Vortech SC limited to # 5-8 Lbs boost until upgrade of 250's internals.

have fun

Back