[250 w/AL head] Mill head to raise compression?

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

Background: '62 Ranchero, '74 250, early 300 forged rods, custom forged pistons, CI aluminum head with 55 cc chambers, Clay Smith 274/274/108 hydraulic cam, 1.6:1 adjustable rockers, Holley "500 CFM" 2-V carb with custom Quick Fuel metering block, CI headers, true duals with FlowMaster Series 10's, DS II with custom mechanical advance, MSD 6-AL, E-core coil, T-5, 8" 3.80 Trac Loc.

Over the holiday break I plan to warm up the 250 a bit - have a Clay Smith 280/280/108 hydraulic cam (the largest hydraulic cam Clay Smith makes for the small six) and a Holley 4-V carb I want to try. Am also considering milling the head to raise compression. Currently, the 250 is at .005 deck height, the pistons have a 15 cc dish, SCR has been estimated at 9.5:1 and DCR at a bit below 8:1.

The 250 build was five years ago, and the Ranchero has been driven 9,000 miles since then. This weekend I ran a compression test on the 250: cold, but all spark plugs out and throttle wide open. The results were:

1 - 160 psi
2 - 170
3 - 170
4 - 170
5 - 165
6 - 165

It looks like the outboard cylinder rings are wearing a bit more than the inboard cylinders, probably due to leaner mixture and/or higher temps on the outboard cylinders. Note: I checked the valve train and adjusted the valves just before this, so I know that all of the rocker arms are undamaged, all of the pushrods are straight, and oil is getting all the way to #1 rocker arm. The engine has never been overheated, run with low oil pressure, or overrevved (the MSD 6-AL has a built-in rev limited, set at 5,500 RPM).

In my area (Houston, TX), 92 octane is widely available and 93 octane is occasionally available (Exxon gas stations only, as far as I know).

Would it be safe to mill the head while it is off for the cam swap? Enough to raise the compression half a point? A whole point? I have been told that the aluminum head allows slightly higher CRs than an iron head would.

Thanks,
Bob the Builder

yes teh aluminum head does allow for a higher compression than the iron heads do, due to better heat dissipation. you can also run more ignition timing as well, but remember to balance them. your compression numbers look goo overall, so run the numbers and see what you ratio is now, and then bump it up about 1/2-1 point.

62Ranchero200":2aiuduzf said:
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

Background: '62 Ranchero, '74 250, early 300 forged rods, custom forged pistons, CI aluminum head with 55 cc chambers, Clay Smith 274/274/108 hydraulic cam, 1.6:1 adjustable rockers, Holley "500 CFM" 2-V carb with custom Quick Fuel metering block, CI headers, true duals with FlowMaster Series 10's, DS II with custom mechanical advance, MSD 6-AL, E-core coil, T-5, 8" 3.80 Trac Loc.

Over the holiday break I plan to warm up the 250 a bit - have a Clay Smith 280/280/108 hydraulic cam (the largest hydraulic cam Clay Smith makes for the small six) and a Holley 4-V carb I want to try. Am also considering milling the head to raise compression. Currently, the 250 is at .005 deck height, the pistons have a 15 cc dish, SCR has been estimated at 9.5:1 and DCR at a bit below 8:1.

The 250 build was five years ago, and the Ranchero has been driven 9,000 miles since then. This weekend I ran a compression test on the 250: cold, but all spark plugs out and throttle wide open. The results were:

1 - 160 psi
2 - 170
3 - 170
4 - 170
5 - 165
6 - 165

It looks like the outboard cylinder rings are wearing a bit more than the inboard cylinders, probably due to leaner mixture and/or higher temps on the outboard cylinders. Note: I checked the valve train and adjusted the valves just before this, so I know that all of the rocker arms are undamaged, all of the pushrods are straight, and oil is getting all the way to #1 rocker arm. The engine has never been overheated, run with low oil pressure, or overrevved (the MSD 6-AL has a built-in rev limited, set at 5,500 RPM).

In my area (Houston, TX), 92 octane is widely available and 93 octane is occasionally available (Exxon gas stations only, as far as I know).

Would it be safe to mill the head while it is off for the cam swap? Enough to raise the compression half a point? A whole point? I have been told that the aluminum head allows slightly higher CRs than an iron head would.

Thanks,
Bob the Builder

Hi Bob Here's what I got using these numbers
Bore of 3.700
Stroke of 3.910
Pistion down the hole .005
Pistion dish of 15 CC
Felpro Head gasket .050
Head at 55 CC's
Intake closeing at 60 degrees, do you rember what your cam was degreed at?
The 1.6 ratio rocker arms without doing all the calculations will add about 3 degrees duration which changes the D.C.R. a little plus adding about .032 in extra lift.

Static Compression Ratio of 9.59 to 1 and a Dynamic Compression Ratio of 7.96 to 1 this would be great for a large log iron head combo running on 92 Premium.

Are all those above specs correct?
If so you go with a mill cut to the head to end up at 52 CC
The S.C.R. is now 9.92 and the D.C.R. is 8.23 to 1
Swapping in the thiner Victor head gasket at .044 will change it to a
S.C.R of 10.05 and D.C.R. of 8.34 to 1 that would probally work with the 92 premium if you want to commit to using the 93 premium, you could then cut the head a little more let me know if you want those calculations. Generally an aluminum head can easily go 1/2 to 1 point in compression over an optimized iron head combo so you might then be looking at a 48 or 49 CC head camber. Good luck (y) :nod: Edited with some additional info.

@bubba,

Your CR calculations match mine very closely - thank you!

From this, if I stick with the FelPro head gasket (which is available in my area, not sure about the Victor) I think I could safely mill the head enough to raise the SCR by a full point. The 280/280 cam will offset the increase in DCR a bit, since it has longer duration than the 274/274 cam that I am using now. Before I make the final 1/2 point vs 1 point decision, I will review the availability of 93 octane in my area.

Thanks
Bob the Builder

62Ranchero200":1rjujee8 said:
...if I stick with the FelPro head gasket (which is available in my area, not sure about the Victor) I think I could safely mill the head enough to raise the SCR by a full point. The 280/280 cam will offset the increase in DCR a bit, since it has longer duration than the 274/274 cam that I am using now. Before I make the final 1/2 point vs 1 point decision, I will review the availability of 93 octane in my area.

Thanks
Bob the Builder
Welcome back, all ways enjoy whaja got goin on.
Grace us w/pic if U can, thnx BB !
(y)

Back