Cast Head welding ?

powerband

2K+
VIP
Interested in a successful Log head 2Bbl conversion method accomplished - preferably by welding without cooking head needed for brazing. Is Epoxy filler or any other method thought stable enough for manifold Vac to pressurization cycles?.

Considering various 2Bbl conversions on D0xx , D5xx or D7xx heads for current build . Engine will be Forced Induction and use a modified 2300 Holley 2 Bbl blow through carb setup. With FI boost/heat cycling and manifold pressurization, any method has more considerations.

have fun

I've fixed broken front and rear exhaust manifold mount ears with a mig and stainless steel wire. Tack welding slowly as to no put excessive heat into the cast iron. Holding up so far.

There is no epoxy that will do what you are wanting.

Another option is to arc weld with nickel electrodes that do not require preheating.

No need to try and weld for a 2v adapter'
See Star's two barrel thread on this page... It is not perfect and could be improved upon, but it is darn close...I am sure that it would work for any boosted app.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79809

the 2nd pic of X's in post #26 pops up all the time on these 2v direct mounts Qs.
I believe it's originally from Mike W (when still alive). I cite it due to the ol "fill, mill, fill, mill" adage many of us here follow. I'm now
thinking a different approach may B needed for different yr heads (as I believe the Mike W cited to B an "M" head or '69). 4 or 5 heads done in this 1 post (all pic).

U guys show me sompin every time I boot up...
Avoiding forge welding is a definite advantage. So is good sealing & never making junk (throw away).

Went back to brazing after experimenting with high nickel and Mig.
Machinists(2) wouldn't touch them.I even offered to buy them a bit/tool.
had to finish them off with my little grinder and file..
Your results may vary.......

... thanks for the responses. I've actually already shown my machinist the pictures of the milled 2Bbl conversions with 'adapter' bolted to manifold. I was confirming the obvious that there are no simple answers.

I've been mocking-up milled head 2bbl adapters using plasma cut steel flanges in a hi-hat with tube between them. Another adapter mock-up is thicker aluminum (@ 1-2") and offset bored to move carb away from valve cover.

... anyone ever slice outside of log to create plenum?.

have fun''

i really like this guy:

nother guy did his w/a sawzall.
a thread here has pic
Again, I'm thinkin it all depends on 'which head'...
I'll not get into the "M" until much later
(6 Keihins here I come)

No,Chad,you don't get off that easy...I'm now on #16,and behind it is my 3rd "M" head.
I'm back on #5,promised to a member for shipping costs,and after cleaning,sent out to take .030 off exhaust.144/170 head,1.75 intake..060 head cut,old valves.
I had not found Master Mike's site or this forum until #8.
I tried 6 mukunis but separate cables and cable stretch kicked my tail.
Now I use a dual pattern on my logs.Take both 32/36 or 2100 adapters,use set screws on smaller adapters.Very minor drilling on MrB V.I. adapters.
#3 170 head now awaits 3 sets of jap twin carbs with mechanical linkage.I'm not a machinist,but I play one in the bathroom.
Every head I let go of goes on Ferdinand,then I put #12 back on,80 head,dual pattern(first for that)larger s.s. valves hardened seats and a 1960's oilfield vacumn gauge at the front of the log.
So, tell me(us) about this "m" head.C'mon,spill it.

putttt....
(hehehe)
:LOL:
:roll:

right0
"...it is my 3rd "M" head...."
his 3, to my one~
But I got his Ranch frnt bench seat in my Bronk
(we both 'losers' in that 1?, possible) Back 2 da regularly scheduled program...

What epoxy (or other compound) can B used rather than forge welding on someada different yr heads for
the 2V Direct mount carb mod? What yr heads would best benifit frm this process, which from forge welding.

The ol addage (for me wuz) 'use the M head'. Fill, mill, fill, mill. Hex, sm log, not so good. I B membah a thread that listed some exotic expensive epoxies. No big deal here, easier than the forge weld. Many can get around the verticle miller or arbor milling process. Some heads seem 2B better w/a mill'n an adapter. Guess the new info ("is not 1 perscribed way") has not been fleshed out 4 me...Being the all ways/ever "the DIY guy" (we do have verticle mil/bridgeport) I, possibly like the OP of the thread - seek more info.

Back