Rear of Block: Oil Leak

65_Stang_170

Howdy Y'all!

I have a slow leak between the oil pan and the rear main (I think...?). Should it be fixed or is it not an issue as long as it's not pouring out?

Is that just a new oil pan gasket or is it the rear main seal? Pic below.

Thanks in advance!

-Shawn

65_Stang_170":3k1cacdd said:
Howdy Y'all!

I have a slow leak between the oil pan and the rear main (I think...?). Should it be fixed or is it not an issue as long as it's not pouring out?

Is that just a new oil pan gasket or is it the rear main seal? Pic below.

Thanks in advance!

-Shawn

In your picture I don't see signs of an oil leak must of cleaned it some already? Would be up to you if you want to fix it if it's not leaking much. If it were the main seal it would be coming out a little higher around the crankshaft flange and block. This would be a harder job but still could be done with engine in the car. The oil pan gasket and end seals is fairly easy job that could also be done in the car. Another area that can leak a small amount of oil are the flywheel mounting bolts if a thread sealer isn't used. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":fl3xu43e said:
In your picture I don't see signs of an oil leak must of cleaned it some already? Would be up to you if you want to fix it if it's not leaking much. If it were the main seal it would be coming out a little higher around the crankshaft flange and block. This would be a harder job but still could be done with engine in the car. The oil pan gasket and end seals is fairly easy job that could also be done in the car. Another area that can leak a small amount of oil are the flywheel mounting bolts if a thread sealer isn't used. Good luck (y) :nod:

Bubba, yes, I cleaned it up a little bit, but it was probably only a drop every so often. Luckily no fluid on the flywheel or clutch, so it must just be between the oil pan and that area under the rear main. Thank you for the info.

bubba22349":3nhr7v35 said:
The oil pan gasket and end seals is fairly easy job that could also be done in the car. :nod:

Also, would I need to drain the oil before doing this? or will it be settled down on the bottom of the pan?

I'm guessing it might be easier with it drained...? Thanks!

Don't forget to put sealer on your flywheel bolts. They are open to oil at the rear main area.

65_Stang_170":3g2dlzj1 said:
bubba22349":3g2dlzj1 said:
The oil pan gasket and end seals is fairly easy job that could also be done in the car. :nod:

Also, would I need to drain the oil before doing this? or will it be settled down on the bottom of the pan?

I'm guessing it might be easier with it drained...? Thanks!

Technically you could drop the pan without draining the oil, but yes it's easier and there's less of a chance of spilling oil all over the place by draining it. If you needed to reuse the oil in a case like it's been recently changed you could filter it through a paint strainer or a nylon stocking and then reuse it. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back