Valve Spring Retainer Rotators?

powerband

2K+
VIP
Disassembling my 1974 Maverick 250 (D2DE) head, I found the Exhaust valves have rotator valve spring retainers on Exhaust valves.

I haven't seen them mentioned in cylinder head rebuild discussions. Are they standard for certain years ?.

thanks

Howdy PB:

Yup. rotators are standard on all small six intake and exhaust valve springs- to the best of my knowledge. Interesting because FoMoCo bean counters are always looking for ways to cut cost. I can't help but believe that two piece retainers are more expensive to make and to install than a one piece retainer.

I searched for the why on the two piece retainers for several years and came up with no reason or rationale. Not cost savings, not increased valve life, not performance, nada. If someone has an insight as to why a two-piece valve spring retainer on small sixes, I'd sure like to know.

Adios, David

The rotators were used cause of unleaded fuel. The intention was to prevent uneven seat wear.
Get rid of them, i have seen heads where the valve rotated too much & wore the valve seat into the head.
Get decent springs with aftermarket retainers from one of the camshaft suppliers.

thanks for replies

Clay Smith and a few other vendors list the non-rotating spring retainers, different height spring cups and dual springs for small block six. I asked machinist to use the 302 springs for a little more pressure for the SC 250 .

I'm building another forced induction small block six and considering 'turbo' cam profile (hyd) or similar cam and related spring/rocker pressures.

thanks

(Early Clifford 250 has dual springs and nice alum. (?) valve spring retainers or caps )

Don't use 302 springs. They do not have a damper. Get decent springs from the camshaft vendors.

Howdy Back:

Hey Bill: two piece retainers first appeared in 1959 on the brand new 1960 Falcons with 144 engines. That was quite a bit prior to regular use of unleaded fuel. I think there was another reason for the two piece retainers on small sixes, but I'll be darned if I can figure out why.

We used 302 one piece retainers, as suggested by Ak Miller, with both stock cams as well as aftermarket cams. They worked well. We never exceeded 6,000 rpms- intentionally- though. What are your plans for your engines PB?

Adios, David

:unsure: I don't think think that Powerband in his orginal post was asking about standard two piece valve retainers, but the valve rotators these were only used on the exhaust valves. They also didn't show up on any of the Ford engines until they were being redesigned for use with the advent in the US of the new unleaded fuels in the early to mid 1970's. :nod:

.. are you talking split valve spring retainers or locks ? PICS please...

I never saw the rotators on any other head than the D2DE Mav' 250. I have A 170 D0DE-6090A , 250 D6DE , 200 - D5DE but have not seen or maybe noticed there to be exhaust rotators.

Current road ripping Maverick 250 with Vortech SC has stock cam D2DE 250 head with unmilled block/cyl surface , back-cut valves, 302 springs, machining for viton seals, milled exh surface, ARP head bolts. Comp. chambers remain @ 62 cc's - with '@.045 gskt yields useful SCR for forced induction. (@ 8:1).

Preparing 200 or 250 small six project revisiting previous draw-through Turbo adapted from Buick 231 V6 . Considering 'turbo' profile hyd. cam but not much head work other than back-cut valves and higher spring rates. Also investigating 1.6 rockers but 'turbo' cam already is higher ramp/ lift. ,,, Also deciding which head: the D0DE 54 cc or 62cc D2DE. The 62 chambers without milling yield @ 8:1 SCR and 54cc @ 8.5:1.

have fun

Back