Inline 6 rebuild

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of restoring a 66 coupe with the inline 6 and plan on doing the following. I've read many articles on rebuilds and think I have a plan.

I'm thinking of having a machine bore the engine .020 over, putting a clifford cam and headers in it with dual exhaust.

I've read many articles on putting a later model 250 head, milling it down to work with a 2 barrel carb and putting that head on the original block. The real question is, I see where I can buy remanufactured 250 heads at several places but will they fit? Just trying to confirm what heads would work that I can but remanufactured. I saw the Australian heads but didn't wanna spend $2 when I can buy 250 heads for $300-$400. Thoughts?

The head for a 200 on a 80-82 Mustang would have the largest intake volume. The head would have a casting code beginning with E0.

Hope this helps.

jeffmel1966":ghtyqsdp said:
Hello everyone. I'm in the process of restoring a 66 coupe with the inline 6 and plan on doing the following. I've read many articles on rebuilds and think I have a plan.

I'm thinking of having a machine bore the engine .020 over, putting a clifford cam and headers in it with dual exhaust.

I've read many articles on putting a later model 250 head, milling it down to work with a 2 barrel carb and putting that head on the original block. The real question is, I see where I can buy remanufactured 250 heads at several places but will they fit? Just trying to confirm what heads would work that I can but remanufactured. I saw the Australian heads but didn't wanna spend $2 when I can buy 250 heads for $300-$400. Thoughts?

Seems like a good build plan, just so you know the later heads that are used for the 2V converstion are from 1977 to 1983 if you have a choice the later you can find the better for the largest log i.e. The 1980's. Also note that there is no differance between the 200 or 250 heads they both have the larger 1 3/4 inch intake valve and larger log intake with a 1 3/4 inch hole. The combustion chambers are about 64 to 62 CC and will need milling to get your comprehension ratio back up when using the newer composition head gaskets.

The Australian heads were the next improvement and will perform better than most log heads, there is a new improved Aluminum copy of that head (was the C.I. Design now being made by V.I.) can also usually be bought more reasonable or at the same cost as one of the used Australian heads. Good luck on your build. (y) :nod:

The later heads have 60cc combustion chamber & will need to be milled at least .070" to get the chamber size close to 50cc's for the 200.
Questions, just post. Bill wsa111

no advantage to the 250, I'd use any 200 head. As said above there is to the '77 + lrg log).
There's some tricks in the "2v direct mount" (@ above tech archive, click on the crossed screw driver/wrench or referr to the source many of us use *[/size]"the Handbook"). Pick the right carb tho. Using these 2 U can double ck what the shop sez on their proceedure 4 U @ drop off. It also hasa guide on machining and both have much, much more. That block is post '64 so really should have the ignition upgrade while at it ('77 + as well). I'd get a modern cam...
Stick around and finish the plan B4 assembly to get just what U need for ur exact driving needs. What R they?

W E L C O M E !!!
enjoy yer stay
EDIT:
* "... the Ford...6 Cyl Performance Handbook ..."
If U no the alu head the book is avail frm da same place, Matt at Vintage Inines dot com (20, 25 bucks)
:nod:
(y)

Hi, I have a large log head with the two barrel conversation, milled, with bronze guides and minor port clean up.
The big difference is now the engine can breath, and the gas pedal is not always on the floor.
Plan on ignition upgrades.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook to get the most out of your Ford Six.
Good luck

Howdy Jeff:

And welcome to THE FORUM! YEs, it is that good.

All 200 and 250 heads are basically the same. All '78 head are the same. Look for a '78 and later casting. Several companies have performance cams for upgrades, but check out our host on this website- Vintage Inlines.

I would strongly encourage you to research and plan for a complete end result for your engine and car. Start by Identifying your goals for this engine- uses, budget, time, etc....

Also send use more details of what you have? what you are working on? tools? skills?

Again, welcome, good luck and keep it coming.

Adios, David

A good place to start from and develop a plan is with the Falcon Performance Handbook. It is a performance guide for mild to wild as they say, a reference tool and discusses trans upgrades and much more. An excellent value.

Back