Fuel pump confusion

64-5mustang

Engine is a 66 200 6 While sitting in winter storage the fuel pump started leaking from the diaphragm on the lower part of the pump. Normal I would just slap a new one on the new one is much different. After some resurce I found out the old one is for a ford 223 l6. For the 10 years of had the car it worked just fine. My main concern is is that the cam arm is different on both pumps. Is it possible for both to work and the cam lobe looks fine.

I can't answer your question. I got rid of the mechanical fuel pump & went electric & i will never look back.
Eliminated all the vapor lock & heat soak conditions.

On many of the older model cars regardless of the brand they used the same basic fuel pump so there was great interchangeably, and with many even the mounting flange is exactly the same with only the eccentric arm being changed to fit the engine design it was to be used on. Many in the past have repaired or even made custom Hi Performace fuel pumps by using a Che-y performance pump and just by swapping in the Ford eccentric arm (see below link to Carter fuel pump mod). So yes its possable.

Cater Hi Performance Fuel Pump Mod
ci/FuelPump.html

One thing that is quite different on all the Falcon / Mustang 200's and other small block Ford six'es is that the fuel pump is mounted upside down compared to other engines so check the mounting flange of your new fuel pump for its the correct mounting fitment. Also with the position of the fuel pump mounting the eccentric arm is resting more on the top side of the cam lobe instead of the bottom like most other engines. You can check this all out by simply using the fuel pump mounting gasket to see how it mounts and so that it will correctly seal to the engine block then install the fuel pump mounting flange to match the gaskets position. You may also need to turn engine a little so the engines cam lobe is at the lowest point to make the install a little easier. There used to be many pictures on our site by our members showing the fuel pumps and their mountings but with the resent changes of photo posting site company'es I don't know were exactly, but you could try searching the site if you wanted to. As a general rule for a stock to mild built engine you should find a new fuel pump that is made for the year of your Mustang (or in other cases the body model and year) for best fit and stock line hookups if your doing a custom build you could use other years too. Good luck (y) :nod:

It was mounted with the boul down and that matched the mounting on the block it's a 66 block the way it was mounted had the arm on the cam about the 5 clock position. The pump by application the arm sticks out strait pretty much and the old one is about a 45 or so. I did attach a photo on the old one. I did find out that the 223 did have a early and late pump mine looks like the late and the early looks like the correct pump for the 200.

hate this co but have no pic, I googled Summit & it came up.
As seen in pic - it is 1 of the many which will wrk ('as seen' - I mean in the upside dwn - correct view).

https://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-pump-6 ... gKQhPD_BwE

U may have a 'canister' type (not sure the 223 motor type. 'S what I call early 60s type). On google it showed an 'eagelbrock' that looked like the carter street/strip (a lill hier volumn). They all fit. They all wrk. I like'em better than ele as they stop w/engine.
The arm is softer than the cam, designed that way to do no harm to the cam even after many, many pump changes. Some even drive out the pin (in the arm) & place ona nother pump - so as to fit it to an off brand vehicle...

U have done the important part - noticed the gasket has failed. I say important as if un-noticed - gas can leak into the crankcase, diluting oil. Obviously this can cause carostrophic engine failure. Good on Ya, Mate! :nod:
(y)

looks like the 1 I call 'canister'
https://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-pump-w ... gKh9PD_BwE

carter st/strip:
ci/FuelPump.html

64-5mustang":2qxcd27j said:
It was mounted with the boul down and that matched the mounting on the block it's a 66 block the way it was mounted had the arm on the cam about the 5 clock position. The pump by application the arm sticks out strait pretty much and the old one is about a 45 or so. I did attach a photo on the old one. I did find out that the 223 did have a early and late pump mine looks like the late and the early looks like the correct pump for the 200.

Yes for sure! As I stated in my above post all the small block sixes 144, 170, 200, and 250's the engine blocks fuel pump mounting flange is designed so that the stock application fuel pumps will mount upside down i.e. pointing up. I assume that Ford used this upside down fuel pump mounting for a better fit into the much smaller and narrower engine compartments of 1960 to 1966 Falcons, Comets, and 1964 1/2 to 1966 Mustangs that these small sixes were originally designed for.

However If you happen to like how the 223 fuel pump fits your engine and its clearance to chassis rail with the Diafram bowl facing down (see below link to late a style 223 fuel pump to compare with Chads picture of the stock aplacation 200 fuel pump) then you certainly can use the 223 fuel pump instead. So in any case both designs of fuel pumps will function right then it will only come down to chassis fitment and looks. Good luck (y) :nod:

Carter M3553 Late 223 Fuel Pump for Electric Wipers
https://www.amazon.com/Carter-M3553-Mec ... B000CSXSOU

Well that's good news I'll probably just install the right pump. I was just concern because of different arms but that's just the upside down for that. Thanks for clearing my confusion caused by who ever installed my old pump.

Back