Harmonic balancer 144 to 200

Phil wells

Hi

I could do with advice on bottom crank harmonic balancer change. Just changing bits over for engine upgrade. 1960 ranchero 144 to a 1978 200

I have swapped the later long water pump for shorter one as engine won’t fit with longer. The early short water pump has a bigger belt pulley that hits the bottom harmonic balancer pulley .

I need the to put the 144 bottom pulley onto the 200 aswell for it to work but it’s just a pulley not as big as the harmonic that the 200 is using .does the engine need an harmonic or is it ok to use the early 144 bottom pulley and time case with timing tag in place of it

Howdy Back Phil:

Does your 1960 144 bottom pulley have a rubber ring between the inner and outer rings? I know that beginning in '63 the 144 engines did have that inner rubber ring. To the best of my knowledge, all other dimensions between the '60 and '63 pulleys are the same. Check it out. If your stock lower pulley does not have the laminated rubber ring I'd search one out.

Also, check the dimension on early 200 with the shorter pulleys. I'd sure be interested in what you find.

Your swap sounds great. Keep us posted on what you find and your progress.

Adios, David

Hi David

I have attached a photo of the 144 bottom harmonic which looks more just like a tin plate belt pulley than a balancer , the timing plate cover is steel plate as opposed to the cast one on the the 200ci in the other photo which is around 1978 and has a more conventual balancer . In the ford six manual it says just swap the balancers. just wondering if this early 144 one is any good for this engine also the timing cover as it has the tag for that pulley. I can't see any rubber on it

img/_data/i/upload/2020/02/20/20200220160446-b15e8bc5-me.jpg
img/picture.php?/2802/category/176

Phil, on my 200 engine the diameter of the harmonic balancer is 5 15/16"
The outer ring is mounted in rubber to the inner hub.

Back