Chipped my cylinder bore

Gom212

I chipped the cylinder on the 6cyl on bottom of the bore and I was wondering if it is salvageable? I was wondering i could get it sleeve on it and will affect my compression since it chipped near the camshaft. I'm trying to post pics but it's not loading so if you wanna see and tell me and i can send.

It al depends on the amount of damage and more than likely it won't even need to be sleeved just dress up a any sharp edges pictures would help to determine that. Being at the bottom of the cylinder it's also not going to have any effect on your cylinders compression since its below the ring travel. Good luck (y) :nod:

I measured it from the bottom of the bore to end of the chip on top and it's about a 2 inch chipped from the bore just a few millimeters to where piston stops to the bottom.

still not understanding U.
"chip"?
a score?, line 2 inches long? 2 mm deep? is it all w/in the piston travel? part in/part out?
May B how it wuz done would explain?

Sounds like a pass w/a:

https://www.zoro.com/gearwrench-engine- ... gKBOfD_BwE

might clean up? Need to hear a lill more...

I'll send you the pics cause it's not letting me, i believe the pics would be better. So message me so i can send it to you and it will better explain how it is.

A photo would help. If its on the right side of the bore, being the major thrust side, it may be very questionable?

Gom212":216imtfp said:
I'll send you the pics cause it's not letting me, i believe the pics would be better. So message me so i can send it to you and it will better explain how it is.

Send Them to me in an Email. :nod: (y)

:unsure: Well Gem212, looking at those pictures that's a pretty good sized hole looks like it could of been caused by a conecting rod getting kicked out. A sleeve might fix it depends on the structural damage behind and the back side of that hole. What does the bottom of block look like in that area can you take some pictures of that? :nod:

I sent the bottom pics, the chipped is pretty close to camshaft so I'm thinking it's still salvageable if i put a sleeve

Sorry it took so long had to go back to my old desktop computer to load them.

Block Pictures

RpnWwNh.jpg

YMAA7Na.jpg

GMPcCwf.jpg

TeHRZ4G.jpg

YGcE64p.jpg

It's hard to tell lighting is low in some pictures of the bottom end shots, but I think that damaged area your seeing is the cam tunnel were it looks like a rod? Hit it. The Water jackets are on the other side of the block. Definitely needs a sleeve and maybe even some welding or brazing to build back the damaged area. :nod:

I didn't know i could get it weld, but if it saves the engine I'll be happy to get it fix and add a sleeve it would be a shame to junk it if i can still salvage it. Thanks guys I'll see if i get it cleaned and repaired. :thanks: :thanks:

i believe the sleve is a machining then insert,
the weld is a lill more specalized as the block would B brought up to hi temp (400*?) 1st.
Good Luck, I think it;s swell you'd try'n save it.

Wht vehicle R U wrkin on?

Its from original 79 mustang, A friend sold me his 200 but it's a 200 big bell and I didn't know they changed the design but I really didn't want to junk my old block without knowing if it's still repairable.

Yes the old timers often repaired blocks by brazing or welding. Personally I have made these type repairs to many engines, and worked on many more that had these type of repairs done by others. Some repairs are done where you can’t hardly tell others are quite crude looking. If you plan to do this repair it should be done before any machine work or sleeving. If you get your engine dissembled the rest of the way take some more pictures so we can see all the damage. Depending on this you might not even need more than a sleeve. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks, yeah i got it all disassembled and sent you the pics other then the chipped the bore looks good but I'm not 100% so let me know what you think.

Get an other block. If you are in the area of the water jacket, time to move on.

Back