Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Regulator to alternator 1960 ranchero hiring help

Moderator: Mod Squad

Phil wells

Post #1 by Phil wells » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 am

Hi

I have swapped the old 144 for a 1978 200ci which came with alternator and wiring on the back,

so far I have plugged the three wire plug from alternator into the new regulator which has same three wire plug, the only other wire coming of the alternator are two black and red wires joined into a large loop ( not sure where this goes) I assume its to the bat side of start solenoid

The other bit I'm not sure what to do with is the old regulator wires, I have attached photos, looks like the horn relay feeds back to this. would appreciate some guidance on what to do with the wires from the old original reg and the big black and red wire on a lope from alternator shown in photo

Phil wells

Re: Regulator to alternator 1960 ranchero hiring help

Post #2 by Phil wells » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:11 am

These are the photos showing wiring

Phil wells

Post #3 by Phil wells » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:14 am

These two photos are of the wires coming from old generator, not sure if these need to connect up again

Econoline

Post #4 by Econoline » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:38 am

Sorry, I read distributor Not alternator :bang:

Here you go:

Last edited by Econoline on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
It ain't gonna fix itself

chad

Post #5 by chad » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:42 am

What pic?
Duz he need more than 23 posts to put'em up?

I think we have several threads on 'gen to alt' swaps. I'd reduce the
confusion (not knowledgable w/auto ele) & look at that, study that &
try'n copy 1. Some of the falcon sites have schematics to assist (or stang if
that's ur model, go by the yr too). Not sure on the "hiring help' phrase U use.
If doing so they'll figure it all out. Bracktery may B different & U may hafta help them out w/that...

ut, there's 1

Annnnd, last wk bubba showed us how ta get rid of the solinoid (3G alt have'em internal, no?). I like this as it's a 'smooth' look.
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), '69 250ci, NV 3550 & DSII, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", tool boxes, etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

Phil wells

Post #6 by Phil wells » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Thanks for diagram ecocline, 
On the upper photo where it shows the red wire on the solenoid going to the B on regulator mine is a thickish black one not red  this black one attaches to the solenoid as shown and from there runs to the B terminal on original reg, on this B connection point it joins with a yellow wire same thickness aswell as a smaller black wire with yellow stripe the small one goes to horn relay the thicker yellow one goes to firewall , am I correct In thinking that I can just disconnect the above point B and join these to the A which would be A+ in the second picture which is kind of the junction box as shown 

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #7 by bubba22349 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi Phil, I don't see your pictures posted yet, but the wiring diagrams that Econoline posted show the differences of the two systems. I will add that If you happen to have the 1978 model (or other from 1965 up) factory stock Ford alternator wiring harness for the Alternator than you should use it as it's truely a plug and play harness and is my perfered method when possible. This harness is Hooked up just as shown in Econolines diagram. Your orginal small yellow wire is disconnected from the A terminal of the old regulator this goes to the generator dash light this wire can still be used to operate the dash light as before when its rehooked up to the new alternator regulators I terminal. I have also found that the Generators dash light blub needs to be changed for a later model type blub with the correct amount of resistance to excite the alternators charging circuit otherwise the alternator won't start charging until you rev the engine up above its idle RPM. An Amp / or Volt accessory dash gauge (this would require some extra wiring) can also be used mounted under the dash tipicaly along with two other gauges an oil pressure and water temperature if you wanted. The large Black wire that's going to the Horn Relay is moved from the B terminal of the old regulator and rehooked up to the Battery side of the starter Solinod. You would then remove all of the other 1960 Falcon Generator parts, the remaining wiring, its regulator, and then if you wanted you could sell them off to someone who needs them.

If your building your own wiring harness from scratch then disconnect the generators Black / Red wire this is the G or the Ground wire on Gen., the White Wire is the F or Field wire on the gen, and the large Yellow / Black wire is the A or Armeture wire (output) on Gen. Remove the generator and its regulator. Next follow the Alternator wiring diagram you can reuse your generator wires for this or make new wires.

When reusing your old generator wires you hookup the large Yellow/ Black wire to the alternators Batt post and conect the other end over to the starter solenoids main battery post. A new wire is then run from the solenoids main battery post over to the A+ terminal of the Regulator. The White wire is then reused to conect the F post (fled) on the Alternator over to the F terminal on the regulator. The Black / Red wire connects to the Alternator ground post or one of its large mounting bolt on the bracket and the outher end is then connected to one of the mounting screws of regulator. Last a new wire is run from the S post of the alternator over to the S terminal of the regulator. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.