HEI Install - Stuck

65_Stang_170

Howdy!

I'm trying to stab my HEI and can't quite get it to seat all the way. I have tried wiggling the crank, and bumping the key to get the oil drive shaft lined up. I feel like I have gotten the oil drive shaft lined up but for some reason it won't sit all the way down (See attached pics).

One shows where the oil shaft isn't lined up and the other where I feel like I've got it.... But who knows maybe I don't. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-Shawn

Shaun, when you start, place the timing mark @ 14 degrees on the timing cover. Place the rotor @ 7:30 position, with #1 @ 6:00 area. Cause when it sinks the rotor will rotate counter-clockwise.
Remove the dist. & rotate the oil pump shaft slightly, then try again. If you rotate the engine make sure you lift the dist. to clear the oil pump shaft then try to sink it.
If you don't lift it the oil pump shaft will keep rotating & not line up again.
After you get it running & drive it & oil starts dripping from the upper housing.
I can fix your over oiling condition & recurve it for your combo.
The advance curve you have is not even close to what you need. Bill

Ok, I got it in. Here's what happened: Like I said, I felt like I was successfully engaging the gear and the oil drive shaft, but it wasn't quite seating. I had a feeling the the O-ring was causing the resistance/stoppage, so I popped it off and tried again. It slide right in no issues! Well, obviously I can't operate it like that because the O-ring was put there for a reason. I took the o-ring off of my other distributor which looked to be a little bit less robust as the new one from the HEI and swapped it. There was still some resistance getting it seated, but I got it stabbed.

I was pretty happy to have it fire right up, and got the initial timing "set" for now. More tinkering will follow. I do plan to play with the advance curve once I get an exhaust on it since open headers are quite loud and the wife complains...

Thanks!
-Shawn

"...the wife complains..."
Ut! no ride 4 her, now...

Glad U got the diz solved, a keepa goin, not much longer now bro !
(y)

chad":2h4l6n9d said:
"...the wife complains..."
Ut! no ride 4 her, now...

Glad U got the diz solved, a keepa goin, not much longer now bro !
(y)
You just scratched the surface.
Always lube the o ring on the distributor & or the entrance into the block. Next time it will slide in real easy.
If you need help on your DUI i can fix all your problems for $125.00 plus parts & shipping.

Back