Coolant Leak - Water Pump

65_Stang_170

Howdy!

I have a leak coming from the water pump. It appears to be coming from the lower left bolt and leaking down from there. I drained the coolant, and put thread sealer and teflon tape to help plug the hole, but it seems it didn't work (actually looks to be leaking more). It also could be leaking more because I filled the coolant up to specs (it was low probably from the leak...).

Anyways, suggestions for helping seal the bolt hole?

Also, best way to get "all" of the coolant out of the water pump? I previously drained through the peacock, and blew through the system to try and get it all out. However, there was still coolant lightly seeping from that bolt hole. This is probably why the thread sealer didn't work...

Thanks in advance!

-Shawn

"...helping seal the bolt hole?..."
no, don't. Its engineered in there. IF its what I think it is.

It kinda does not as U say "...a lower left bolt..." & as I recall the
designed weep hole is on the lower right - driver's side.
If it is a bolt - pull H2O pump, regasket (we can guide U on that if needed).
Lets wait a sec & C what the ex spirts say~

chad":19y8obw4 said:
"...helping seal the bolt hole?..."
no, don't. Its engineered in there. IF its what I think it is.

It kinda does not as U say "...a lower left bolt..." & as I recall the
designed weep hole is on the lower right - driver's side.
If it is a bolt - pull H2O pump, regasket (we can guide U on that if needed).
Lets wait a sec & C what the ex spirts say~

Thanks Chad. I'm pretty sure it's the bolt. I can see and feel it coming from there. I know of the weep hole (I replaced the pump a few years back because of a leaky weep hole). The pump has seen minimal mileage since the pump was replaced, so I don't think it's the weep... But I could be wrong.

Update: I just drained the coolant (again...), removed the fan, and disconnected hoses to get a better look at it, and it's definitely not the weep hole. It is bone dry where the hole is under the snout. See pictures below of the condition of the bolt from the hole that's leaking. It seems a bit chewed up. Would that cause the leak?

Yeah I would for sure replace that bolt its threads look in pertty ruff shape, plus the long grove going up its shank. Then try some thread sealer on the new one. Good luck (y) :nod:

"...some thread sealer on the..."new bolt
do U use goop on any of the gasket surfaces?
Sometimes i tru up the mount surface too...

Back