High Altitude Adjustments, Car Bucks/Jerks and Shakes

Excellent! Yes getting the float level right is quite critical on them, lower though is better than having a too high of a float setting that will then cause flooding after engine shut down from engine heat soak. I use a steel machinist ruler for good accuracy, if your careful the paper rulers can work but It's easy to bend or distort them enough that you don't have an accurate measurement. I think you will probally be able to hook up the heater hoses to the carb spacer again now too.

The wider gaps usally works much better if you have the right coil and other ignistion parts, but yes try the different gaps you never know what an engine likes until you try it. Good luck your closing in on a good tune up when you get it right be sure to write it all down for the next time. I used to carry a book with part numbers and all tune up specs for the vechicals I regularly serviced and maintained. (y) :nod:

Put the 46 plugs back in and it is noticeably quicker and gets up the hills just fine. I gaped them to .040" and I don't feel anything noticeable from .044''.

Still has this weird, ever-so slight, bucking/hesitation while cruising. Doesn't do it while accelerating or higher RPMs. But cruising along a flat road at 35 its just kinda rocking back and forth. Maybe its a slight miss? the whole ignition system is new.

Its 95% of the way there, that last little thing and honestly if it never goes away its not that big a deal

Congrats that's great progress! This last problem sounds like it's going to be electrical intermittent items are harder to find the cause. If you have haven't went through all of the electrical connections and grounding yet you should do that. Clean all the conections and make sure they are tight starting from battery posts back. On all the grounds also clean them of grease and paint and check for tightness, do you have a ground from the engine block to the chassis? If not it's a good idea to add one. You said that the whole ignition system is new dose this include the Distribitor? If not check out the upper shaft bushing for wear, try pushing towards the engine block and pulling the shaft back towards you at the rotor. Is the Pertonix gapped correctly? Good luck (y) :nod:

All the grounds are good. There is also a new ground strap from the starter bolt to the firewall. Petronix is gaped correctly. Thanks, I'll see if there is any play in the distributor but it felt solid when adjusting the timing.

8Vin2hz.jpg

63flcn" Still has this weird said:
It sounds like fuel delivery when cruising, under light throttle. It's a carb problem. Let's face it, one barrels suck at that with 6 cylinders.

I certainly think it is some of that.

*Most* of the bucking seems to have gone away now that I have the front drums sorted out. One was bent and dragging.

Anyway, still stalls occasionally after an extended idle or short shut off. Sometimes it runs just the same, sometimes it stalls.

Float still too high??

Maybe is the float at factory height now? If so you can try droping the float another 1/32 or a 1/16 inch see if it improves any, a wet fuel level is a better measurement but not as easy to check. You could try opening up the plug gap again the other way like .046 to .048 too. Since your so close now try only one mod at a time. Have you checked what the total Distribitor advance is yet? Those LOM Distribitor advance system can be adjusted too. Good luck (y)

63flcn":3275ezfj said:
Anyway, still stalls occasionally after an extended idle or short shut off. Sometimes it runs just the same, sometimes it stalls...

Is your heat riser sticking?

Hi 63flcn, been wondering how your doing on the Falcon tuneing and if you made anymore improvements? Did you ever check out if you have the adjustable type rocker arms, find out if your engine has solid lifters in it, and or set the lash if it dose? How about the timing chain set did you check it out for excessive slop or looseness? Best of luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":2l1zok5d said:
Hi 63flcn, been wondering how your doing on the Falcon tuneing and if you made anymore improvements? Did you ever check out if you have the adjustable type rocker arms, find out if your engine has solid lifters in it, and or set the lash if it dose? How about the timing chain set did you check it out for excessive slop or looseness? Best of luck (y) :nod:

Hey Bubba, thank for checking in. Car over all has been running (and stopping) great. I still deal with a stall after long idle or if I turn it off and on again within 15min. Thought it was vapor lock but shielded the fuel line to no avail.

I started a new thread on it but think it may be running too rich? Still flooding?

Back