Squealing

65_Stang_170

Howdy!

I've got a squealing noise (assuming it's the belt) coming from the engine. I was just hoping for a little confirmation on my diagnosis. I have been messing with a coolant leak (I think I got it fixed), and now I have a squeal. The harmonic balancer got covered numerous times by wayward green fluids, and I tried to clean it up best I could... assuming it still has residue on it, is that my likely cause for the squeal? Also, what is the best way to clean it up? I've posted a link for the noise.

https://youtu.be/ZbhJfLpiYsA

Thanks in advance!
-Shawn

Try some good soap to clean it like dawn dish soap and if you have a pressure washer or you could also go to a self serve car wash too. What kind of fan do you have on your 170? Good luck :nod: (y)

bubba22349":3mmtnsws said:
Try some good soap to clean it like dawn dish soap and if you have a pressure washer or you could also go to a self serve car wash too. What kind of fan do you have on your 170? Good luck :nod: (y)
Bubba, thanks, it's a 4-blade fan. Is this factory?

Hi 65_Stang_170, your engine compartment looks great and everything is nicely detailed its very close to the orginal 1965 Factory Ford Color scheme. Yes that's a stock four blade fan, the reason I asked is I thought I might of seen some movement in it while you were Reving the engine. You might check the water pump shaft for any bearing looseness, but I assume that's where your green fuild was probally leaking from before. Or maybe it's because the camera was just moving during the video. Good luck (y) :nod:

yeah, haha, I wuz lookin 4 a flute note offa da radiator cap (U also named fluid change) but no, that;s as indicated.

After you clean the pulleys, just replace the belt.
It's probably glazed from slipping.
After driving a couple of miles, check tension & re-adjust as nec.

bubba22349":1aynmrob said:
You might check the water pump shaft for any bearing looseness,

I'll give it a check later today. I cleaned and dried the pulleys/belt, but haven't fired it up again yet. We'll see how it goes.

-Shawn

wsa111":21glzlj0 said:
After you clean the pulleys, just replace the belt.
It's probably glazed from slipping.
After driving a couple of miles, check tension & re-adjust as nec.

Thanks Bill, I'll give it a test and if it squeals, the belt will get replaced.

HI 65_Stang_170, to test to see if your coolant leak is fixed you might check with your local auto parts stores to see if they have a tool loan / rental program. If they do see if they have a cooling system pressure tester, this would verify that your leak has been fixed. Good luck (y) :nod:

Ok, I gave it an extra day. I fired her up, and gave the engine some revs with no squealing. It seems cleaning all of the pulleys and belt did the job! Thanks all!

Back