Starter issues

Mxximus66

So I’ve got a 1966 Bronco with the 170ci straight six . Until last week was starting right up and running pretty smooth . Recently replaced the carb and new fuel pump . Then the other day the starter seemed to go out on me . Just put in a new starter and replaced the solenoid , now when I crank it the fan is turning and it sounds like it’s firing but no start .... and it doesn’t sound normal , almost like something isn’t engaging... I’m stumped . And , no I am NOT a mechanic . However , I am mechanically inclined and have done most of the work on this project myself ... but this has me scratching my head.... thanks y’all !!!

yeah, U touched 2 or 3 different systems (C the quote in my sig) so it's kinda ground zero.
fire (Spark)
fuel
air
if the fan is moving around it means the starter (battery, charging sys) is doing its thing, Good.
Now onto the ign systen. Like Seth sez - is it too weak, there at all?
Last will B 'fuel'...

Hi, if you don't like the way the replacement starter is working take it back to the store. Some stores can test them and some store just replace them. Do you still have the old starter? Maybe the old starter can be tested. Many times all a starter needs is the Bendix drive, which is cheap and easy.
The problem with hard starting or not starting needs to be diagnosed. As mentioned, do you have spark and fuel. Do you have a spark tester? Maybe you flooded the engine and now it's cleared out. Did you smell gas? Since you just worked on the carb I would check the carb again. Good luck

That 66 probably has the SCV setup? I should remember as I had that setup at one time. So must get the correct carb if you have SCV very important. At this stage you may not be interested in these suggestions but:
If you have to return the starter investigate getting a mini starter for it.
As previously stated definitely investigate a DSII and larger (more cfm) carb for more reliable operation and a performance increase. Your parts store rebuild may have crapped out. Get rid of the SCV stuff. The DSII can be custom curved for your Bronco for the best results.

I can help you on your distributor issues.
Check out the small six for sale section of the forum.
I have several DS11's for your application or i can recurve your HEI or DUI. Bill wsa111

Back