Modifying Stainless Header

I excellent concept, fab' and results, now I wonder if it can be made to work in a car without removing shock towers ? ...

hav efun

Nice work on those! Excellent. I too use rudimentary tools to do such things. I appreciate what you've done there with some plate and basic tools.

powerband":34me1urz said:
ow I wonder if it can be made to work in a car without removing shock towers ?
I guess that will be for someone else to discover :p

Econoline":34me1urz said:
Nice work on those! Excellent. I too use rudimentary tools to do such things. I appreciate what you've done there with some plate and basic tools.

Thanks, I guess you make do with what you have, I did buy a little cheap $60 drill press from HF, it helped to get the bolt holes really close to spot on, I could have done it without it but probably would have ended up with a lot not quite straight through holes :roll: I cut the square hole with a router and carbide bit, probably didn't do the bit any good but it made it through the job and never did seem to get dull (I took it slow making shallow cuts), that is one thing I would do differently if I was doing another, I would just router the holes out and not drill the corners. I also have a pretty nice power miter saw because I have built a couple of houses, I used it with a carbide blade to cut them apart, again if I was doing it over I would have laid them out differently so they were more inline, but when I started I had no idea how I was going to cut them out. The rest was done with an angle grinder and flap wheels followed by some sanding with the DA and then a little hand sanding on a flat board with wet/dry emery cloth paper.

It took me parts of three days to make them, if added together probably a day to a day and a half, if I had the equipment it would have been a 1-2 hour job :roll:

I am glad they are done and they fit really well so now I can move on to something else.

See Ya,
Mike

"...I could have done it without it..."
any excuse to buy a tool I all ways say.

"...if I had the equipment it would have been a 1-2 hour job..."
and if no equip a wk, so this is just right !

Dun like a true builder (house builder - I'm 1 too).

Really close now, Mike !
:beer:

:beer: nifty solution for the header spacers Mike, I sure like the look of the studs with the brass nuts also. Great job on the engine detailing too. (y) :nod:

Thanks guys for the kind words.

If anyone is contemplating doing this I can give a few pointers that might help, if I wasn't trying to get everything else done on the car I would sit down and make a second set to show all the steps fully and some of the jigs that help make these, even better than the ones I made.

See Ya,
Mike

Back