MSD Pro Billet-style distributor for use with EFI?

I'm using a Delphi TFI coil since I switched up the ignition a couple years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble. It lives in an oven that is the doghouse zip tied to the fuel line. I think alot of the aftermarket ignition stuff, esp coils, is 80% hype 90% crap.

Econoline":2ylwefw4 said:
I'm using a Delphi TFI coil since I switched up the ignition a couple years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble. It lives in an oven that is the doghouse zip tied to the fuel line. I think alot of the aftermarket ignition stuff, esp coils, is 80% hype 90% crap.

Me too. However, when the free market has a tweetle beetle battle in a puddle with a paddle you get

An epic tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle. And like in the secular Roman, and today.

d04e45a3-b72b-461a-893d-78dfc24100f3.jpg

People pay for ring side seats.

If you ever get in the poo poo with a loss of signal, do like 67straightsix and establish a crank proxy sensor and Holleys computer will read it and use the signal and it will work. Then you are free to use whatever igntion YOU want to.

The problem I have...is when Holley or Fitech prevent use of TFi in the set up instructions. That proves no progress in the last 35 years. They is always a divisive word but "they" clearly have no problem making the stock TFi get trashed and then have 39 Steeps added to fiting a sub par fuel delivery system on a EPA legal car...anf trash all the OEM shi eeeet. I'm all for advancement and going ahead, but its gotta have workarounds.

Im not down on progress and free choice. The saying yes to modern Multi point TBi is saying no to TFi or Durasspark III. That is a problem. And so is running out of fuel on a freeway because a brave new world of sub par non stillage pot wet sump electric fuel pumps has been fronted up to....youve got additional problems to deal with.

I had 11 years of Duraspark and non EFi paradise. The Hanging Garden of Apadana is not recreated by cuting stuff out and blithly drinking the Orange Kool Aid. You gotta think, then act.

People who at least have this courageous conversation will use a Holley or Fitech, and have a huge amount of fun and satisfaction.

I ve had fuel delivery and ignition problems on all of my new EFi Fords, Toyotas and Nissans. Dont think it wont happen to you either. Be vigilant and decide how you are gonna deal with a No Spark and No Fuel situation when youve decided to trust a far inferior spark and fuel system.

Learn this Proverb.

Carbs have Many Problems.

TBi has only two.

Everything thats Sparked

And everything thats Fueled....

I love reading these posts where everyone gets so technical. It helps me learn something. :)

But, I hate overthinking things. Keep It Stupid Simple. I like this answer the best:

:pmuller9 wrote:
Which Fitech unit are you looking at?

You can use the signal from the magnetic pickup in the HEI distributor to trigger the FiTech unit and use an MSD 6A to power the HEI coil.
The HEI module and condenser are removed.
MSD makes a cable PN 8861 to connect to the magnetic pickup.

The violet and green wires from the FiTech unit go to the magnetic pickup in the distributor and the black wire from the FiTech unit triggers the MSD ignition box by connecting it to the MSD white wire.

Page 14 on the MSD installation instructions shows how to connect the MSD to the HEI coil."

I am switching over from the MSD 6A to a 6EFI pretty soon. I bought the 6efi over 1 year ago but never installed it. Don't ask me the difference. But, I will find out soon.

As for the dirty signal. On my setup (DSII not HEI) I add some ferrite magnets or rings over the signal wire.

65coupei6":2xgg4x7i said:
I am switching over from the MSD 6A to a 6EFI pretty soon. I bought the 6efi over 1 year ago but never installed it. Don't ask me the difference. But, I will find out soon.

The main difference is that it doesn't have the Rev Limit Tach Verification signal when you first turn on the ignition.
This signal will drive the EFI system to fire the injectors and flood the engine at startup and has to be disabled when using the MSD gray wire to trigger an EFI unit.

If you are using the EFI unit to control timing and the EFI unit is triggering the MSD unit then the tach verification signal is not a problem.

The MSD 6A charges it's capacitor to 135 - 145 mj @ 520 - 540 volts and the 6EFI charges to 95 mj @435 volts meaning the 6EFI puts less energy to the coil primary than the 6A

Back