Where to get modified head

delesher

Does anyone know of a source for a small block head machined for a two barrel carb? I have seen them time to time on ebay but don't see one now.

when U see 1 let us know. It is of interest to us here.
There are ways to do it well and many more ways to do it poorly. We have examples among our own members of both here.

Most take a bead, disassemble it and take it to some one they have deemed competent thru a discussion prior to the work (when setting cost). When knowing the process (not too different on the 3 - early, hex, late, large log, etc) one can tell if the business knows how to do an optimal job.

A few do the wrk themselves. Lastly, use the search function above. There was a vendor who did 1 or 2 here. I will not offer a referral as I did not use him so can not vouch for the wrk. If we had 3 I'd defiantly give U them as referral as I would not B pointing to 1 or the other & U could make ur own choice...

This site is in the process of an up-grade. When completed we may have a 'vendor' forum. Hoping to have 1 or more (east, west coast...1 in the center?) who do this wrk. Under our 'recommend a machinist?" form U may find a local who can do it, or go to one and ask for a referral to some1 who can.

Good Luck, let us know how U do...
(y)

Hi, I was lucky enough to find a complete take out engine with a two barrel conversion about a hour and a half from my house.
It looks like a 1 hotvega head, sometimes seen on eBay.
It was listed in the for sale section at the bottom.
Good luck

chad":35vj1r42 said:
when U see 1 let us know. It is of interest to us here.
There are ways to do it well and many more ways to do it poorly. We have examples among our own members of both here.

Most take a bead, disassemble it and take it to some one they have deemed competent thru a discussion prior to the work (when setting cost). When knowing the process (not too different on the 3 - early, hex, late, large log, etc) one can tell if the business knows how to do an optimal job.

A few do the wrk themselves. Lastly, use the search function above. There was a vendor who did 1 2 here. I will not offer a referral as I did not use him so can not vouch for the wrk. If we had 3 I'd defiantly give U them as referral as I would not B pointing to 1 or the other & U could make ur own choice...

This site is in the process of an up-grade. When completed we may have a 'vendor' forum. Hoping to have 1 or more (east, west coast...1 in the center?) who do this wrk. Under our 'recommend a machinist?" form U may find a local who can do it, or go to one and ask for a referral to some1 who can.

Good Luck, let us know how U do...
(y)
What do you mean by "Most take a bead"? I have contacted a head shop located in Richmond Va that has been "in the business for 40 years" to see what they say. I will let you know the results either way.

A while back a forum member discovered a method for installing a 2v Carter BBD carb on a small six head and reported very good performance results. From what I recall you could do the mods yourself and install the carb without removing the head depending on your skill level. I have seen BBDs on ebay that could probably be rebuilt or buy a new chinese repro for around $90. They were used on many Chrysler and other vehicles and available in three cfm ratings. Possible option for you.

The cost to purchase a direct mount late model head with all new oversized SI valves & the porting involved would be in the $1700.00-$1800.00 area.
You would be better to get the aluminium head from Vintage inlines.

delesher":m2pn8oj4 said:
What do you mean by "Most take a bead"? I have contacted a head shop located in Richmond Va that has been "in the business for 40 years" to see what they say. I will let you know the results either way.
take means 'bring' as in ur own. Not many shops stock our head waiting for some 1 to come in and ask for machining. That a pretty good shop. Can U post the name please?

Also by 'most' I mean - we research how the job is done - best practices - and jaw bone w/the propritor from a place of knowledge in ourselves. Not many know the process. Richmond is abt the minimum size city to have a shop know out of the normal course of events. "40 yrs" may not B enuff to reach back to a 60 - 37 y/o product (1960 - '83).

As I said in my 1st post - this is interesting (to more than just me). Thanks for posting. Please let us know how U do &...

W E L C O M E. !!!
to the best forum on da site !
(y)

My machine guy says he can mill my C9 head for a 2V, install new guides, 3 angle valve job, shave the head for compression and reassemble for $500-$600. Thats me supplying the parts.

if U want the swap ask what processes he will use. If its appropreate, ask to talk w/the owner he's done. List him in our 'machinset recommendations" forum if quality out put.

"Barrow" a spring compressor (local big box auto supply), clean updissasemble ur head, think abt a magnaflux. When done, B4 reassembly snap some pic for us (6). There's guys on here looking for some1 who duz it right. We know some guys who do it wrong~
:tabu:

..machine guy says he can mill my C9 head for a 2V....and reassemble for $500-$600. Thats me supplying the parts.

... great if he has the skill and the will, maybe get a timetable and written estimate.

have fun

chad":3dst9698 said:
delesher":3dst9698 said:
take means 'bring' as in ur own. Not many shops stock our head waiting for some 1 to come in and ask for machining. That a pretty good shop. Can U post the name please?

Also by 'most' I mean - we research how the job is done - best practices - and jaw bone w/the propritor from a place of knowledge in ourselves. Not many know the process. Richmond is abt the minimum size city to have a shop know out of the normal course of events. "40 yrs" may not B enuff to reach back to a 60 - 37 y/o product (1960 - '83).

As I said in my 1st post - this is interesting (to more than just me). Thanks for posting. Please let us know how U do &...

W E L C O M E. !!!
to the best forum on da site !
(y)
Can you advise questions I should ask if they call me back?

Milling the log is also going to need to braze the low or hollow areas so when milled there is sufficient mounting surface.
Lets back up & have the head magnafluxed for any cracks before proceeding.
Now is the time to install the exhaust port divider.
Does the shop have an oven to preheat the head to 400F before brazing & welding the port divider??
Magnaflux the head again before doing any other machine work.
Also you have to maintain the correct carburetor mounting angle like the original one barrel carb.Has this shop done this before??
You also need SI valves which can be purchased from Vintage Inlines & the proper valve springs for your camshaft.
The price they quoted you sounds too cheap to do the job correctly.

I'd do this in person. I'd study the proceedure. We have threads (& pic) even better than "the Handbook" and the above 'tech archive' our two main sources of info.

Bill lays it out in a thumb nail. 1 way is 'fill, mill, fill, mill" Another way is "mill, fill, mill".
"Search" is @ top of page next to 'tech archive'.
here's 1 I think (no pic, very shory thread):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80880&p=628651&hilit=2v+direct+mount#p628651

member MPGs had one w/pic that went south..
scout up his name, search threads.

"...Can you advise questions I should ask if they call me back?..."
If U ask that Q U need to do some research here or just go on faith (which can wrk, not my style, I wanna know)...
"...Most take a bead, disassemble it and take it to some one they have deemed competent thru a discussion prior to the work (when setting cost). When knowing the process (not too different on the 3 - early, hex, late, large log, etc) one can tell if the business knows how to do an optimal job...."

Back