DS II distributor shaft wobble

charliecurrie

I posted this in the "Electrical" section , but thought it may get more notice here.

What would the symptoms be if the bushing on a DS II distributor was worn and the shaft wobbled when the distributor was out of the engine?

FYI - I have no acceleration or cruising issues - no miss or hesitation.

Most likely the upper shaft is worn. Even if you install a new bushing, since the shaft is worn you will still have a wobble.
Need a DS11 see my listings in the small six for sale section of the forum. Bill

Thanks Bill for your reply.

Just wondering what driving issues would I expect to experience with a wobbly shaft. Any type of vibration at idle, maybe?

more like poor driving results. However -
Do U have a "...type of vibration at idle,..." (as U wrd it) ?
If so can U locate area w/in the vehicle it seems to be coming from, variation (still standing still) by pushing on the throttle ?
:unsure:

charliecurrie":1re089xb said:
Thanks Bill for your reply.

Just wondering what driving issues would I expect to experience with a wobbly shaft. Any type of vibration at idle, maybe?
You might have timing jump around if reluctor is hitting the pickup coil.
Time for another DS11. Keep me in mind, it will be recurved for your build. Bill

chad":3herrute said:
more like poor driving results. However -
Do U have a "...type of vibration at idle,..." (as U wrd it) ?
If so can U locate area w/in the vehicle it seems to be coming from, variation (still standing still) by pushing on the throttle ?

I have a vibration at idle when stopped and in gear. Out of gear, no vibration. If I increase the rpm while still on the brakes, the vibration pretty much goes away - doesn't take much increase.

Of course, once I start rolling the vibration goes away and I have no other issues - good acceleration, smooth cruising at any speed.

early signs of: throw out bearing? pilot bushing?
Touch foot to clutch peddle - vibes? Depress a lill, change?
In that 'pre area' (moving clutch fork but not clutch) U may notice something.

No biggie. Whatever it is? it will out (if getting worse) grab ur full attention/reveal itself.

Many of us do the "Doc Mechanic" thing & try'n find the vibes. A hose used like a stethoscope, a mechanic's stethoscope, a long bar...held to the ear, placed (safely - so as to not kick back and create some head or ear damage) around/on parts while vibes R emitted, can narrow the focus of further investigation. Or...not. I usually just keep goin, throw the cellie in my pocket, and call when in trouble. Not much later? Here comes Bilo in the truck - rescued again...
:oops:
:roll:
:nono:
:rolflmao:

chad":1lnybgkj said:
early signs of: throw out bearing? pilot bushing?
Touch foot to clutch peddle - vibes? Depress a lill, change?
In that 'pre area' (moving clutch fork but not clutch) U may notice something.

No biggie. Whatever it is? it will out (if getting worse) grab ur full attention/reveal itself.

Many of us do the "Doc Mechanic" thing & try'n find the vibes. A hose used like a stethoscope, a mechanic's stethoscope, a long bar...held to the ear, placed (safely - so as to not kick back and create some head or ear damage) around/on parts while vibes R emitted, can narrow the focus of further investigation. Or...not. I usually just keep goin, throw the cellie in my pocket, and call when in trouble. Not much later? Here comes Bilo in the truck - rescued again...
:oops:
:roll:
:nono:
:rolflmao:

No clutch - C4 automatic.

charliecurrie":gcruto63 said:
No clutch - C4 automatic.

ahhhh Haha !
:idea:

more reason to use that stethoscope

Back