Little bit of power

Hello, I recently got a 1966 Mustang Coupe l6 from my grandfather. I've honestly been in love with the car sense I first saw it when I was 6 years old, now I'm 23.

The thing is, the motor isn't very powerful to my liking, but I really don't have to change it. So I've been looking for things to upgrade the internals of it and I haven't really found anything. I honestly might be looking in the wrong places.

The only things I have in mind are a header and exhaust really, and I know that won't give it the power im looking for. I am asking you great people of FordSix to help me by pointing me in the right direction and showing me what I should get for it.

I really don't want to change the engine. Its the l6 200, I don't wanna swap it for a 250 or covert to a v8 like many others have suggested in other forums. I have planned on getting new suspension, rear axle, Shelby drop, and disc brakes.

Hi, and welcome to Fordsix. So I always wonder if the guys here have the tools and experiance to get through the basic jobs on the cars.
If it was my car I would probably do a compression test, make sure all the tuneup parts are in top shape, and get the most out of what is there right now.
Second, I have a very original 66 Mustang, 289, never rusted, and I have learned to really appreciate a nice solid original car, mostly the way it came from the factory.
That being said, you can learn how to get more power from your 200 and change everything you want on your car.
I would enjoy the car for a while, and figure out what is important to do, one thing at time, and don't pull the whole car apart.
Before spending any money on new goodies get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook from Vintage Inlines. Also check out the peformance parts on Vintage Inline website. And dive into the Tech Section on this website to come up with a plan.
Good luck

66 Mustang is a great car to have and even better that you got it from your grandfather. What transmission do you have? Rear axle ratio? You have received the best advice on where to start by assessment of current condition and definately get a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook. If the 200 internals are sound start with a DSII ignition setup custom curved and a larger 1v carb which will give you more bang for your buck than headers for now. Next start planning to get a 2" exhaust system and keep headers in mind as a later modification if you want to go further. It is all discussed in the Handbook. Mustangs are not heavy and a good running 200 should provide a reasonable driving experience for daily driving. If you want more the next level is a cam and more compression which would probably satisfy you. Those other upgrades you mentioned are all good.

I can help you with the distributor, be it a HEI or a DS11. Bill

bmbm40":3ee5sclh said:
66 Mustang is a great car to have and even better that you got it from your grandfather. What transmission do you have? Rear axle ratio? You have received the best advice on where to start by assessment of current condition and definately get a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook. If the 200 internals are sound start with a DSII ignition setup custom curved and a larger 1v carb which will give you more bang for your buck than headers for now. Next start planning to get a 2" exhaust system and keep headers in mind as a later modification if you want to go further. It is all discussed in the Handbook. Mustangs are not heavy and a good running 200 should provide a reasonable driving experience for daily driving. If you want more the next level is a cam and more compression which would probably satisfy you. Those other upgrades you mentioned are all good.

I plan on swapping the stock Trans with a T5, and the rear axle is stock. This will be my first time working on a car so I really don't know a lot. I will be watching A LOT of youtube videos to get me through this. What is a DSII iginition? Could you link me one? Also a good carb to go with. I was looking at exhaust a lot of them say for v8 would they fit on a i6? I know thats probably a dumb question, but I am guessing if the size of the header matches the size of the exhaust it should fit. My granddad gave me about 6 mustang books I can look through also.

Thank you.

A T5 is a performance upgrade compared to whatever? trans you have now but the T5 is available with different ratios so knowing your axle ratio will be good. There are members on here who have T5 swap experience and they will probably join in and also try asking for help in the transmission forum.
Carb upgrades are covered in the Handbook and a member on here supplied some info on a 250 cfm carb, china made reproduction of something that looked pretty good to me. I will try to find that post.
For DSII ignition wsa111 is who you want to talk to.
It seems an exhaust system for a six should be 2" and that is all covered in the Handbook.

Dura Spark (I and II) ignition...(wuz it '77 on?). U get more from carb and ignition upgrades (and can keep looks w/this system) than from headers'n exhaust. Go to above "tech archive" (big blue boxtop of the page w/crossed screw driver/wrench). "How The Stock Load-O-Matic Distributor Works", read it and scroll to:
https://fordsix.com/ci/Loadomatic.html
"spark controll valve". Ur system "LOM/SCV" switched out in '68. Blocks from '64 ahead can B retrifitted w/this DSII as the well @ bottom of dizzy will fit this later dizzy shaft. The 200 motor is a bit more buzzy/spins the RPMs (is a more "square motor") than the 250 so "we pep em up".
The 1st and simplest is the basic ign & carb tune. In there advance the timing 4* or so. U may B happy. The DSII (and carb) would be nxt...B Ron & bmbm - eventho bronk guys like me are tellin ya straight. "the Handbook", above tech archive, some more experience, willingness to get in there'n try, alota research, our guidance frm here...what more could U need (an experienced patient neighbor acourse!)? A new tranny and whole axel is aways off...
Keep talkin~

Back