How to Flush Coolant (block plug location)

Alibaba91

Can someone point me to where the block plugs are that I need to remove in order to do a complete coolant flush? Any tips would also be appreciated, like needing to replace the plugs with new ones or use high temp thread sealwr after the flush or something.

Edit: Car is 65 Mustang 200 coupe auto

if this is abt 'freeze plugs' - not many pull them unless its an engine out (rebuild) & a trip to the 'tank' for a deep soak.
Will U B rebuilding or just wanna 'flush'n fill'?

If the engine is still in & U wanna clean it (maintenance on the 2 - 5 yr plan) just follow the directions ona can of flush bought at Wally's World or the big box aauto prts store.

If this is "1/2'n 1/2" - engine out but no rebuild or engine in and heavy work I'd try the flush'n fill (2, 3 X) and if really wanting to "pull the plugs" put a hose in the thermostat housing and send hot water (careful if a fairly hot motor from running and hitting it w/cold water, they don't like huge extremes). No 'sealant' needed on plug replacement.

The details and quality of answ goes up w/precision in the questions...
(y) C'mon back if interested in more.

W E L C O M E to the site !!!
- -
BTW: one thing that wrks well is to state the problem here (at it's very root) and allow others to come up w/an answ.
Sometimes folks come after figuring the answ and ask details in how to go abt implementation. Often they are off onto an incorrect solution. I swear there's a few here who can read minds, realize this and still answ in a helpful way, not me...

Thanks for the thorough reply. Definitely don't want to pull freeze plugs as the engine is in the car and won't be coming out too soon. I feel like I read somewhere on the shop manual, or maybe someone told me there was a drain towards the back of the engine somewhere that could be removed to do a full flush, but maybe I misread/misheard. Anyhoo, I can definitely follow standard flushing procedure. Did it once already, but just burst an old rad and figured I'd do a better job of it before I put in a new one.

Yes on the Ford Six short blocks there should be a 1/4 inch NIP plug just under the second from the rear of block freeze plug. Sometimes people used to replace them with a petcock fitting (same as is mounted on the lower Radiator tank) to drain the coolant out the block. Or you can also just remove the lower radator hose for a good full flush. Good luck (y) :nod:

"...there was a drain towards the back of the engine ..."
what do U drive? (Y/M/M plez some sorta ford i6 i guess, but what?))

Hi, as Bubba mentioned, there is a 1/4" pipe plug on the passenger side, down just above the oil pan rail. I would be reluctant to touch it because after all these years you don't know if it will come out or not.
When I give the engine a good coolant flush I like to remove the lower radiator hose and run water into the thermostat outlet, or if I am not changing the thermostat, run water into the block from the heater hose, the one that does not go into the water pump. I flush the block a few times, until the water runs clear.
A while back I heard of using citric acid to clean out a cooling system. It was posted on the classicbroncos.com site. And it worked great! Add 1 lb. citric acid to a pot of water to dissolve. Put into empty radiator and fill with water. Run the engine for 20 minutes. Flush it out a couple of times and fill with antifreeze. So on my 66 Mustang the engine would run hot in the summer, not boil over, but too close for comfort. I cleaned out the cooling system with citric acid and now the temp gauge never shows near mid point.
Good luck

Ahh, yes. That passenger side plug is what I'm thinking of! Yea, we'll see if I'm brave enough to remove. May try citric acid through heater hose first.

Also, sorry about the crappy original post, it was late and I was tired from working on the car for a solid ten hours, so my brain wasn't working right. You guys correctly deduced the details though. In any case I edited the original post to mention that the car is a 65 Mustang Coupe 200 with an automatic.

Back