Ignition toast, wanna upgrade to DII & MSD

A

Anonymous

I don't know what I did or what happened but now is the perfect time to upgrade my ignition to the DurasparkII/MSD6A combo.

I have a 200ci C6 block, 262H Isky cam, forged flattop pistons, bored .030, ported & polished head, larger intake/exhaust valves, blah blah blah.(you guys get it)

My first question: Can I get these parts/setup from a local parts house i.e. Pep Boys, Kragen, NAPA, etc.?

second: What parts exactly do I need i.e. distributor, coil, etc.?

third: About how much will this run me, a "guesstimation" if possible?

Lastly: Have I missed anything?
Thanks for all the info.
Chris Harris

You can get everything you need from NAPA. That's what I did. I had a parts number list on the old forum but it's long-since gone.

IIRC here's what you need with prices - this was over a year ago and I think the whole thing cost me less than $150.

DSII body (ask for one from a 79 fairmont). Get the one with only 1 vac port. - $70
Ignition module (there are two versions, one is a "high-altiude version" - you don't want that one.) I believe NAPA calls it the "48 state" version - $30
Cap and Rotor - $15
Cap adapter - don't forget this part - the DS2 doesn't come with a place to mount the cap so you have to get that separately. $12

Then use this link, which I personally think has the best wiring diagram for using the stock harness.
http://www.mustangsteve.com/conversion.html

Good luck!

You also need new plug wires because the connection on the cap is a male connection unlike the original distributor cap that had a female connection. I got everything from autozone for just over $100, except for the cap adapter that I forgot to get so I got it got it from a junk yard

Back