1963.5 Falcon Convertible Build

Moderator: Mod Squad

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Re: 1963.5 Falcon Convertible Build

Post #51 by CoupeBoy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Fuel tank was delivered yesterday along with valve grind gasket set.
Fuel tank sending unit arrived this morning.
Once installed and the title is transferred, I can legally drive it..

Of course I still need to install the bulbs and get all the lights to work.

I'm back to collecting information and parts for winter upgrades.

Steering Upgrade for cars earlier than '65 -- FordSix Forum
Front Swaybar on Rear -- FordSix Forum

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #52 by CoupeBoy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:04 pm

1hr of my life and $28.50 later, the car is now mine with lifetime registration.
Oddly, they were out of classic car plates, so they gave me a temporary paper to put in the car.
I asked her where I should put it, and she said the back window
I said it didn't have one
She said back window on the driver side.
I said it didn't have one.

Then she suggested to call the Highway patrol and ask them where to put the temp sticker until the real plates arrive.

Once the new tank goes in and the lights are working, Bob's my uncle.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #53 by CoupeBoy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:06 pm

The old tank needed to come out.
The old connector hose was dry rotted garbage, I split it open with a flat nose screw driver.
I bought some 2" fuel filler hose and cut a new one.
All the bolts came out easy with a socket on a drill/driver.
Except this one, it had to be wrenched out.
Tank all the way out.
And at the bottom you can make out the problem.
Holy Gas Tank Batman!
All dented and multi-colored
New Shiny from the top.
And bottom
Side by side on the bottom.
The old tank is 14 gallons, the new one is 16 gallons.
These are the major players of new parts.
Both the tank and the sending unit each came with their own locking ring, I used the one that came with the tank.
New 3/8" fuel injection fuel line and clamps on the bottom.
New hose up front too

I dumped in 5 gallons of fresh gas and drove around the yard and gravel road for sufficient time to ensure it is pulling from the new tank.
The fuel gauge barely went above empty, even though it should be close to 1/3rd full. Hopefully I can rule out the sending unit.

Next up on the punch list..
Trunk/decklid lock.
Its a puzzle that I have no picture of.
And I'll have to order a key/tumbler for it.

I don't have to find a new one of these, but I'll keep my eyes open for one in better condition.
I've been wiring it shut to keep it from flapping.

I still need to install the light bulbs

What do you all know about window regulators on these old birds?
The passenger side window rolls up and down OK
The driver side window regulator appears to be busted internally, there are some window channels that are laying floppy loose inside the door.
Does anybody know if the window regulators from 4dr cars work in 2dr?
The back windows both move down a little bit, but I have been hesitant to try rolling them down all the way, I figured once I pull the rear interior panels, I'll remove and clean the regulators.

And the seat track for the driver seat does not lock, so any acceleration or deceleration it is a bit of a rodeo.

I'll keep knocking down one problem after another, if I looked at them all at the same time, I may go a bit batty.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #54 by bubba22349 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:49 pm

One of the most comman reasons for the Window problems are the regulator rollers real easy and fairly cheap to fix (see below link) for an example should be available from many sources too as they were used on many different years and body styles of Fords besides the Falcons. If the regulator is broken or worn out you can get a new crank gear to replace it (also see example in below link) or a compleate regulator for many of the more popular Ford models. That's a great looking gas tank, that old one sure was nasty. :beer:. By the way the trunk latch bolts on the back of the trunk lid (180 degrees to the key lock assembly) looking at it from inside the trunk. Good luck :nod: Editedl

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/interio ... dware.html
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #55 by CoupeBoy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:36 pm

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #56 by bubba22349 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:45 pm

:beer: cool I seen a real R Model once! :shock: I think you would get tired of it driving on the street on a short trip more than a few times a year though. Good luck :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #57 by CoupeBoy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Real Shelby race cars were not designed for human comfort.

Boring stuff this morning.
New passenger side headlight (now both work)
New tail light bulbs
New brake light switch

And still no tail, brake, or blinker lights work.

I have a new flasher, but in the short peek I took under the dash, I did not see the fuse box OR the original flasher.
On my old fords, the fuse box is always under the dash near the pedals, either the right or left side.

According to some guy named Powerband..
PowerBand wrote:FALCON/COMET FUSE BOX..HELP -- HAMB
As far as I'v seen, The 60-65 Falcon/Comets have the fusebox attached to the bottom of the headlight switch. To service you reach up under the dash and press the switch shaft release button on the inner side of the switch , then unscrew the dash bezel/retainer and the whole switch and fusebox comes out. Better to do this with the batt'y disconnected or learn how to weld inadvertently.

Powerband
2 sources in Fargo have a replacement switch in stock, $20.
If I have to pull it out, I may as well replace it.
Looks like I get to go shopping, then practice my acrobatics.

I have new dash bulbs also, so I'll replace those as well.
What I find odd is that I didn't think the brake lights had a fuse.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #58 by bubba22349 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:47 pm

:hmmm: if your headlites are working it's not the headlites switch. Usually if the tail, blinkers, and brake lite's don't work and it's not a bad flasher then it's the turn signal switch in the steering column that could be worn out or have dirty contacts. Some of the flashers are mounted on the back of dash gauge cluster or have a clip to hold them up under the dash. Good luck :nod:

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #59 by CoupeBoy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:05 pm

I get that the flasher, brake switch, or blinker switch may affect the brake light element.
But none of those should affect the park and tail light elements.

I realize that I don't necessarily need the light switch now, but while I'm in there, I may as well install one to rule it out...

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #60 by bubba22349 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:57 am

:shock: Well the reason that the turn signal switch effects most all of the other lighting (except for the Headlite's) is because all of the wiring going to all the other lights first goes up through the turn signal switch. You could probally test this out if you wanted by compleatly disconnecting the turn signal switch plug and making a set of jumper wires to bypass it. Edited I have added a couple of the 1963 Falcon wiring diagrams that may be some help to you when diagnosing or tracing some of the wires. Also as a side note many of these old style switches (like headlites, heater blower, etc.) can be taken apart and the contacts cleaned with an eraser, lubed, and reassembled making them lwork again. Good luck :nod:

http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/Wiring_Diag ... 2-144L.png

http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/Wiring_Diag ... 2-145L.png

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #61 by CoupeBoy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:21 pm

Back from almost 2 weeks of vacation up in Montana, Kalispell and Glacier National Park area. No update, I need to locate the flasher so I can replace it.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #62 by CoupeBoy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:14 pm

After not finding the flasher, I pulled the dash/gauge pod.
And then still not finding the flasher, I pulled the light switch.
No flasher, but I did find an interesting fuse.

Then one of the guys on the Facebook Ford Falcon Online Group (FFOG) said that it should be plugged in to the right side of the dash in a clip that is empty, and that I should look for an orange/yellow wire that is hot while the key is on. I found it and plugged it in to one side of the flasher, then found another wire (purple) and plugged it into the other side.

And presto! I have a blinker, only the driver side, but no tail lights or brake lights.

For those, I rememberd that I had pulled the wrapped fuse out and hadn't replaced it yet, so I plugged in a brand new 20amp fuse and now I have tail lights (both sides) but only blinker and brake light on the driver side.

I had the car running and it died, the carb pumped fuel right out the top of the carburator.
I assumed the float had sank. It did.
And once I pulled out the float, I saw the crack.

I stopped today and picked up a new nitrophyl float and will install it when I get home. And I'll break out the test light and figure out why the passenger side brake/turn isn't working.

And the radiator is leaking at the seam.

falcon fanatic

Post #63 by falcon fanatic » Thu May 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Hey, CoupeBoy, how's this project coming? I've gotten back in action after letting the car sit for the last 18 months. Too many things going on in my life! I've finally decided that what I really want is a 5.0 and a five-speed, so that's in process. Blasphemy, I know! Anyhow, curious about your progress.
'63 Futura Convertible. Disc/drum, Bilsteins, beefy swaybars, #480 springs, roller or spherical everything up front, HD shackles on stock springs out back. Megasquirt FI on ported, big valve aussie head w/ roller rockers; 10:1 6000rpm engine; 264/274-12*; C-4, Maverick 8" 3.25 W/trac-lok and perimeter frame inside the unibody. More to come...
http://falconfanatic.blogspot.com/

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #64 by CoupeBoy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Let me tell you...

Actual work on the car has been non-existent due to other projects, namely a 1978 Scout II that I am repairing the rust on.
On the scout, so far I've removed the rust from and rebuilt the passenger rocker panel, and the inner/outer wheel arches. Earlier this week, I cut out the rust on the driver side, same area. Once that is done, I'm going to bring in the Falcon for its minor rust repair.

I need to update this, but its got most of the Scout carnage covered.
1978 Scout II -- OFCC.com

The passenger side was worse than the driver side.
IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

Luckily I already planned on using fender flares, and my novice body work will be mostly hidden.
IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4728.JPG

And the top of the quarter panel where the hard top bolts down.
IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

I did buy a new white convertible top for it (used) from a Facebook Falcon group member.
I did locate a guy locally that has (2) sets of doors and he said I should come take a look.

I located, but didn't act fast enough on a driver side rear window.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Mustang Daily Driver Rebuild (on hold for the Season 3/1/2015)
1963.5 Falcon Convertible Build (just getting started 3/15/2015)
Case 1830 Skidsteer FordSix Repower Thread (started 4/4/2015)
1970 170/C4
1967 200/C4
1965 240/bellhousing/flywheel/clutch/3.03 bell pattern
1975 250/flexplate
1975 300/flywheel