Overdrive Transmissions

Moderator: Mod Squad

henrydreil

Overdrive Transmissions

Post #1 by henrydreil » Tue May 29, 2018 1:51 pm

I have a 1962 Ford Falcon that I'm restoring and I'm about to drop the engine and the transmission in.

The car is manual three-on-the-tree. It would have originally come with a Ford 2.77 transmission but I'm putting a Borg Warner T86E in as this was another transmission that would've been used.

What I'm getting to is the overdrive component of this transmission. The original transmission did not have overdrive. Am I going to have to make any modifications to the car for the overdrive cable?

Also, the transmission has been sitting for a while. It shifts really smoothly but the solenoid and governor look worn. Should I replace these or are they pretty solid over time?

Any insight helps, thanks,

-hd

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Overdrive Transmissions

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:57 pm

henrydreil wrote:I have a 1962 Ford Falcon that I'm restoring and I'm about to drop the engine and the transmission in.

The car is manual three-on-the-tree. It would have originally come with a Ford 2.77 transmission but I'm putting a Borg Warner T86E in as this was another transmission that would've been used.

What I'm getting to is the overdrive component of this transmission. The original transmission did not have overdrive. Am I going to have to make any modifications to the car for the overdrive cable?

Also, the transmission has been sitting for a while. It shifts really smoothly but the solenoid and governor look worn. Should I replace these or are they pretty solid over time?

Any insight helps, thanks,

-hd

:hmmm: You will need to make and or adapt almost everything to get that trans fit and it's not going to bolt up to the 2.77 bell housing, maybe it will to the early Econoline bell or a 3.03 bell housing. In the early years of Falcons and Comets you could only get the 2.77 3 speed, and the Ford O Matic 2 speed auto's later on you could also get the Dagham 4 speed trans too. To the best of my knowledge that Borg Warner T86E overdrive trans was never used in the Falcons or Comets it was only used in the bigger Ford and Mercury cars and pickups. The solinods and governors though usually last a very long time. Good luck on your swap. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #3 by powerband » Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm

There is an aftermarket vendor who makes an adapter plate for the 2.77 bellhouse enabling the use of a Ford foxbody T5 Overdrive 5 speed. I'm not familiar with T86E but early BW 3+OD's typicallly were non-synchro first gear like the 2.77. The T5 conversion is not exactly bolt-in but can really transform the driving experience. My '63 more-door wagon has a 170 cid six and I've driven it with original 3OTT then a Dagenham 4 spd and finally the T5 . With the V8 T5 and OEM 3:50 :1 rear gears, I can carve country roads or cruise the interstate always in the six's torquey powerband.

haev fun

http://transmission.moderndriveline.com ... e-p138.htm
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

cobraguy

Post #4 by cobraguy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 pm

That T86E can be a big PITA. when the input shaft bearing gets a little worn it will kick out of 1st gear just before your grabbing for second. This banging gears at high RPM results in broken teeth on first gear and the counter shaft.
62 Falcon 2 dr sedan 250/C4 8" "Magoo"
63 Ranchero 200/SROD DS II, Weber "Barney" SOLD